British Speedway Forum
dlprezes

Weichlbauer

Born in Austria, he became a naturalised Australian.

Steve

Lived with my Mum and Dad in Perth and rode at Claremont Speedway.

Came to Perth with a German rider called Heck Hasslinger who is still in Perth.

Would love to know where he is now.

Didn't Hec Haslinger-who I do remember-ride for Doncaster or Reading in 1970.

156 points in 31 matches for Doncaster in 1970, Bob.

Steve

Hi i just googled my dad (Joe Weichlbauer) and up this popped weird seeing my dads name on here. Your right he is Austrian then went to Sydney before going to perth he is now in the UK. He went to Australia with Gunther Haslinger who is still in Perth (think he owns/runs a garage)

Both are (or were) Austrians (not German), Josef 'Joe' Weichlbauer and Günther 'Hec' Haslinger.

Hi i just googled my dad (Joe Weichlbauer) and up this popped weird seeing my dads name on here. Your right he is Austrian then went to Sydney before going to perth he is now in the UK. He went to Australia with Gunther Haslinger who is still in Perth (think he owns/runs a garage)

Wasn't your dad working in Walsall for British Gas as a gas fitter / repairman a few years ago or am I mixing him up with someone else??

Haslinger was based in Oxford and worked as a mechanic at the bus garage I believe. As both were Austrians by birth I take it they went to Australia and returned as Commonwealth riders in the BL2?

[Yes my dad worked in Walsall on the council as a gas fitter many moons ago, he is still working away in the same trade but no longer at the same place

q uote name=Main Man' timestamp='1317223826' post='2019990]

Wasn't your dad working in Walsall for British Gas as a gas fitter / repairman a few years ago or am I mixing him up with someone else??

Hi Heidi,- I doped & oiled for your dad when he arrived at Cradley in 1966, following over Chum Taylor, who he lodged and travelled with.

In his first 2nd-half ride at Dudley Wood Joe rocketed down the back straight to the alarm of everyone, 'cos we knew he wouldn't be able to take the bend at that speed. He'd come from Claremont's 640yd track where it was fast and hardly necessary to slide on the big wide bends, - he couldn't !

I also remember travelling by train to Glasgow with him and the team. On the journey the team manager dished out the fivers, one each, for a meal. At the end of the meal, when Joe told the waiter to keep the change, he tossed it back in his face, cursing “When we get to Glasgow I’m taxed a shilling on every meal !” Admittedly a penny-halfpenny change - 1½d -, still wasn’t much even in 1966 !,

By total co-incidence I also got to know Hec Haslinger when the Doncaster team transfered to Brum in '71 and I d&o'd for skipper George Major who Hec rode alongside.

I last bumped into your dad in a hardware shop in Kingswinford, late '70s/early '80s after he'd finished riding.

I'll send you a PM.