British Speedway Forum
PhilK

Mildenhall V Stoke - Ko Cup Final 1st Leg

Cant understand how tacticals can be used in a two legged competition, the most stupid rule in any sport,

even more ridiculous in a home and away comp.

Imagine if the Football association came up with a rule if your two goals behind at half time you get a free penalty.

Junior

A bit of controversy is usually good for a speedway meeting and adds to the atmosphere and entertainment, but we don't want it getting out of hand. Maybe extra stewards are needed?

Total overreaction Mr Mungo, you obviously have some big issues where Mildenhall are concerned!!

There were a couple of unsavoury scenes, although certain riders cetainly seemed to provoke what went on. The Mildenhall promotion were quick to make it clear that this sort of thing is not acceptable in the post match forum!

To say Mildenhall have more 'hooligans' is overdramatic and also incorrect and does an injustice to our club. I stood in the stand and some bloke had some issues with Simon Lambert which was no more than some shouting and posturing! Then something happened by the fence which calmed down prety quickly.

Don't get me wrong I dont condone any behaviour like this, but lets not get things out of proportion here.

It was a cracking cup final tie and both sides put on a great show for the supporters. I haven't heard of any riders complaining about the Mildenhall track, which has produced some excellent racing this season and today was no different.

Fast times, close racing and some excellent passes, none better than the two Mildenhall Man of the Match Daniel Halsey produced in heats 12 and 15 added up to a red blooded cup tie :approve:

Simon Lambert was excellent again although personally I thought he was lucky to get back in Heat 13.

Hopefully next Saturday and Sundays ties will be as exciting, certainly hope so.

As for the KOC, Stoke are favourites now after todays 1st leg, but its not all over yet :wink:

Edited post to add - Great to see a coach load of Stoke fans making the trip down to support their side :approve:

Hi Phil,

I'm certainly not going to fall out with you over this because you're a friend, but I can't completely agree with your posting, but of course recognise we are ALL entitled to our own opinions.

With regards to the Heat 13 incident, I was stood right in front of where it all happened, and it was no more than four very dedicated riders eager to come out of the 2nd bend in front, as Mildenhall is such a difficult track to pass on, due to its size.

Simon Lambert was no more to blame for the incident than anyone else, as they were all jostling for important track position, and the referee without question, called it right by allowing all four back in. Certainly a nasty coming together though, and thankfully everybody was okay. If a rider feels he's been roughed up by another, generally speaking they start showing their displeasure on the track, irrespective of the medical condition of the suspected culprit, yet this was not the case. Nothing happened for around 10-minutes until all had returned to what should be the safety of their pit area.

Although I can't answer for what happened between riders in the pits, what was evident, and I'm sorry but this is where we disagree, was the trouble brought about by a substantial amount of so called Mildenhall fans. Forgetting about yesterday, but there is a guy that stands at the back by the fish bar, who every meeting is loud mouthing and swearing about everybody in the visitors camp. There's another chap who is always first in the queue to get in, and sits at the back close to the track shop with his wife, who is a major trouble maker with his verbal outbursts. Then there's the gang who stand in front of the bar, who always seem to be looking for trouble....not nice.

So all in all, some very nasty scenes yesterday, right under the noses of the dignatories in attendance. Lets hope lessons have been learned, and there won't be a repeat when the two teams lock horns again next Sunday, but unless the morons that I've mentioned grow up in the course of the next seven days, I fear they will be out to verbally entice trouble again.

ATB/Mike

Let's see

Mildenhall fans think Lambert was out of order and the prime cause of the mayhem

Stoke fans say Mildenhall fans out of order

As a neutral I'd say the all four back decision was correct. Heeps and Lambert collided entering the second bend and that is what sent Lambert across the track not some perverse desire to spear Hargreaves. Had Christina been tougher with previous first bend decisions then an exclusion for Lambert would probably have been fair.

When a rider limps back to the pits after medical treatment I do expect a round of applause from the fans not the cry's of 'Cheat, Cheat, Cheat'

And how did the Mildenhall fan who was 5 metres behind me during the race end up fighting in the pits two minutes later?

I'm sorry mimmo, but you are wrong. The crash was caused by Simon Lambert throwing his dummy out because for once he did not get out of the bend first as he usually does!

He was lucky in my opinion to be in the re-run. It was NOT 10 minutes before things kicked off, they started as soon as Simon got back to the pits, when Serjeant got a large spanner out of his toolkit and went beserk going after any Mildenhall rider he could get his hands on. Disgraceful behavoir which needs to be stamped on.

As to the noisy Mildenhall supporters, I shout loudly as well, but make sure that I do not use bad language and have not heard anything other than support for the Mildenhall team. Might I suggest that if you do hear bad or foul language, that you ask the persons concerned to moderate their language, and report them if they do not.

I'm sorry mimmo, but you are wrong. The crash was caused by Simon Lambert throwing his dummy out because for once he did not get out of the bend first as he usually does!

He was lucky in my opinion to be in the re-run. It was NOT 10 minutes before things kicked off, they started as soon as Simon got back to the pits, when Serjeant got a large spanner out of his toolkit and went beserk going after any Mildenhall rider he could get his hands on. Disgraceful behavoir which needs to be stamped on.

As to the noisy Mildenhall supporters, I shout loudly as well, but make sure that I do not use bad language and have not heard anything other than support for the Mildenhall team. Might I suggest that if you do hear bad or foul language, that you ask the persons concerned to moderate their language, and report them if they do not.

As I said in my posting rossimania, we are all entitled to our own opinions, and as far as I'm concerned it is you that is wrong not me.

Quite how you can say Simon Lambert threw his dummy out beggars belief, and would seem to be another example of a biased supporter. If you think he was lucky to be in the re-run, then thank goodness you weren't the referee, as that decision would have been unjust.....in my opinion.

It WAS around 10-minutes before trouble ignited, because Simon Lambert was receiving medical assitance for approximately that length of time before returning to the pits.

With regards to your explanation to what happened in the pits, then I will bow to your knowledge on that one, because I wasn't in that particular area, whereas you obviously were. So as that's where you were physically located, you couldn't possibly have got a clear view of the on-track incident from that angle, as the riders were too closely bunched together, which in reality is what caused the accident.

As for asking the persons concerned to moderate their language, you've got to be joking. Morons like that don't take any notice of angelic :wink: people like me, so get real.

Blimey, certainly sounds like an eventful afternoon at Mildenhall!

Lots of conflicting versions of events on here, very few of which tie in with each other - a bit like a game of Chinese Whispers!

One of the problems with Speedway is that there are certain people who post on here, who are keen to get involved, but do not offer a balanced view, because they know there are certain people they cannot afford to fall out with.

Edited by neil3065

I was stood on the balcony and had a first class view of the heat 13 incident. Lambert accidently hit Hargreaves in a tough cup final first bend and IMO should have been excluded. What happed next was disgusting and not something I've ever witnessed in my 27 years of spectating. Not on that scale anyway. Not the sort of scenes for the local dignatries to view. Many fans let themselves down badly as did a few mechanics.

Blimey, certainly sounds like an eventful afternoon at Mildenhall!

Lots of conflicting versions of events on here, very few of which tie in with each other - a bit like a game of Chinese Whispers!

It is interesting, though, to read each post and consider the 'agenda' that some posters may have.

One of the problems with Speedway is that there are certain people who post on here, who want to get involved, but know there are some that they cant afford to upset or fall out with, so consequently, they do not offer a balanced view.

I don't know if you are including me as one that doesn't offer a balanced view.

If you are, then I can assure you that as a neutral (don't support either team), that was very much my intention to do so.

But as you say, it is interesting to read the differing views, and the world would be very boring if we all shared those same views.

I don't know if you are including me as one that doesn't offer a balanced view.

If you are, then I can assure you that as a neutral (don't support either team), that was very much my intention to do so.

But as you say, it is interesting to read the differing views, and the world would be very boring if we all shared those same views.

Hi Mike, no worries mate.

Certainly won’t fall out over a different opinion of a racing incident. From where I stood in the main stand it looked like Lambert accidentally straightened causing the incident, the person to my right agreed and thought he may have shed a chain the way his bike went (Jaybe wondered the same when we spoke later), whilst Arnieg standing to my left said all four back. It wasn’t the easiest call especially from the referees box where the angle would have been different again to yours or mine.

As you say all down to opinions.

I was stood on the balcony and had a first class view of the heat 13 incident. Lambert accidently hit Hargreaves in a tough cup final first bend and IMO should have been excluded. What happed next was disgusting and not something I've ever witnessed in my 27 years of spectating. Not on that scale anyway. Not the sort of scenes for the local dignatries to view. Many fans let themselves down badly as did a few mechanics.

It did seem to me that the rider in red was moving at the start and the referee should have stopped the race and that rider invited to stay still in the re-run.

Had this happened, the racing incident probably would not have occured and the riders would have been unhurt.

As for the loutish behaviour on the terraces and pits, this is certainly due to Chris Louis inflaming matters in the previous week with his comments in the press and Mildenhall Speedway club allowing spectators to become intoxicated, or worse allowing them entry to the stadium whilst already intoxicated.

Any personal license holder will know that serving drink to intoxicated customers will bring the Licensing Authority down like a ton of bricks.

Why Mildenhall single out Simon Lambert and call him a cheat is a mystery, he was declared at the beginning of the season without complaint and has improved through hard work.

If Mildenhall Speedway have any issues to take up regarding Simon Lambert's eligibility to ride they should be addressed properly to the SCB.

What was the size of the spanner??? was it ring or open ended??? I bet it was TENG!!

Edited by montie

As for the loutish behaviour on the terraces and pits, this is certainly due to Chris Louis inflaming matters in the previous week with his comments in the press

Problem solved, it was all Chris Louis' fault.

I thought Lambert was lucky to stay in the re-run, but I am a Mildenhall supporter so probably going to be a bit biased.

However the way I saw it was that the majority of the crowd didnt like what lambert did, accidentally or whatever, a large majority of the crowd then gave Lambert some abuse, he reacted by sticking his finger up to the stand and taunting fans and basically offering to fight them ?? although difficult in the heat of the moment, he should have just walked back to the pits and went about his business to re-focus and get back out in the re-run. Being a sportsman is going to be difficult sometimes when rival fans give you abuse (wrongly or rightly) but you can't then get tangled up with those fans in a slanging match. Cantona did it once and got banned for a while.

Watching the fence fall down near the people the other side was unpleasant and shouldnt have happened, luckily no one was hurt.

The actual banter in the crowds with the singing was quite enjoyable I thought, but the riders just need to laugh it off and show what they can do on the track.

Riding wise Lambert was excellent again and you would have thought he would find a PL place next year.

Halsey's passing in two separate races was awesome, man of the match in my view.

Thats my view

Let's see

Mildenhall fans think Lambert was out of order and the prime cause of the mayhem

Stoke fans say Mildenhall fans out of order

As a neutral I'd say the all four back decision was correct. Heeps and Lambert collided entering the second bend and that is what sent Lambert across the track not some perverse desire to spear Hargreaves. Had Christina been tougher with previous first bend decisions then an exclusion for Lambert would probably have been fair.

When a rider limps back to the pits after medical treatment I do expect a round of applause from the fans not the cry's of 'Cheat, Cheat, Cheat'

A fair assessment. Turnbull copped-out when Lambert was in B/W and simply went straight at the first bend - he should have been excluded for that.

At the time of the incident I was over by the second bend and didn't hear any shouts of "cheat" - there were fans shouting at Lambert, but he didn't help matters by gesturing to the crowd (not necessarily rude gestures, but you could see he wanted to play to the gallery). As soon as he got back to the pits things kicked-off - at the pit gate and then again in the corner where he was based: right next to the spectators.