British Speedway Forum
PhilK

Mildenhall V Stoke - Ko Cup Final 1st Leg

Problem solved, it was all Chris Louis' fault.

You will always get people on here wanting to make scapegoats by pointing the finger firmly in whichever direction suits their views, or connections within the sport, whether to teams or individuals. Its easier to do that for many people, than to offer a balanced view which might reflect that the cause was down to more than one factor.

Personally, I read Chris Louis' comments in the press last week, and didnt see anything that could be described as 'inflamatory'. He merely said he didnt agree with the Stoke team manager's comments on bringing Australians into the National League. His other comment about Simon Lambert was irrelevant, IMO, as he is eligible to ride in the National League, based on his average at the start of the season.

Of course, he may well have had it in mind that this would create some added interest or publicity for the match, but then that's nothing new. Graham Drury and Len Silver frequently did the same ahead of Mildenhall v Rye House fixtures in the past, and I'm told similar things were done for many years prior to that.

But I dont think his comments could be branded 'inflammatory'.

Edited by neil3065

With regards to the Heat 13 incident, I was stood right in front of where it all happened, and it was no more than four very dedicated riders eager to come out of the 2nd bend in front, as Mildenhall is such a difficult track to pass on, due to its size.

There were a number of passes, and the two by Daniel Halsey (one on the final bend of the last heat) were genuine, first class overtakes, which would not have been out of place in a GP.

The track offered different racing lines from the first heat to the last.

This is a sport and sportsmen do play to the gallery for god's sake get over it. There are 27,000 supporters at the Britannia Stadium every week watching Stoke City (Have to use Stoke as Mildenhalll don't have a football league side) opposing players come and go after supporters have wound them up the player gives it back but it does not start kicking off with fighting and supporters kicking off at the player it's banter. We need characters in the sport who have a love hate relationship with the crowd kill that your about to kill the sport off. What it does not need is a minority of drunken louts pushing fences over to get at riders.

As for Simon Lambert on his tactical ride yes he did take a rider wide something that Mildenhall riders do frequently off turn four but I presume Mildenhall supporters don't see that unless an opposing rider does it,it's hard riding simple as. Heat 13 should have been stopped as the lily white can do no wrong Cameron Heeps was moving at the start. Once they hit the first turn both Simon and Jack were riding hard there was contact, but there was no malice just good old fashioned hard riding. Simon was then down for a good ten minutes and received some abuse when walking back to the pits and played to the crowd which is fine supporters give it then they should be able to take it back, it in NO WAY EXCUSES people then attempting to get in to the pits in order to get at a rider or riders, if Mildenhall supporters cannot take a bit back having give it I would suggest they keep their mouths shut and not make comments and if they cannot take there drink I suggest they visit the AA.

Edited by Derek 613

As for the loutish behaviour on the terraces and pits, this is certainly due to Chris Louis inflaming matters in the previous week with his comments in the press and Mildenhall Speedway club allowing spectators to become intoxicated, or worse allowing them entry to the stadium whilst already intoxicated.

Complete nonsense :D

Louis was responding at least in part to comments made by Malcolm Vasey and there was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in what he said.

As to not allowing intoxicated spectators in, Sheffield are definitely in trouble after yesterday.

I was very much looking forward to the play off matches next weekend but the apparent extra needle makes them look even more attractive.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Complete nonsense :D

Louis was responding at least in part to comments made by Malcolm Vasey and there was absolutely nothing out of the ordinary in what he said.

As to not allowing intoxicated spectators in, Sheffield are definitely in trouble after yesterday.

I was very much looking forward to the play off matches next weekend but the apparent extra needle makes them look even more attractive.

Do you not find Chris Louis comments in the comic a little hypocritical though,isnt it what he does week in week out on Sky?

This is a sport and sportsmen do play to the gallery for god's sake get over it. There are 27,000 supporters at the Britannia Stadium every week watching Stoke City (Have to use Stoke as Mildenhalll don't have a football league side) opposing players come and go after supporters have wound them up the player gives it back but it does not start kicking off with fighting and supporters kicking off at the player it's banter. We need characters in the sport who have a love hate relationship with the crowd kill that your about to kill the sport off. What it does not need is a minority of drunken louts pushing fences over to get at riders.

As for Simon Lambert on his tactical ride yes he did take a rider wide something that Mildenhall riders do frequently off turn four but I presume Mildenhall supporters don't see that unless an opposing rider does it,it's hard riding simple as. Heat 13 should have been stopped as the lily white can do no wrong Cameron Heeps was moving at the start. Once they hit the first turn both Simon and Jack were riding hard there was contact, but there was no malice just good old fashioned hard riding. Simon was then down for a good ten minutes and received some abuse when walking back to the pits and played to the crowd which is fine supporters give it then they should be able to take it back, it in NO WAY EXCUSES people then attempting to get in to the pits in order to get at a rider or riders, if Mildenhall supporters cannot take a bit back having give it I would suggest they keep their mouths shut and not make comments and if they cannot take there drink I suggest they visit the AA.

Love your post. Well said. :)

Riding wise Lambert was excellent again and you would have thought he would find a PL place next year.

Halsey's passing in two separate races was awesome, man of the match in my view.

Thats my view

As he's been riding in the Premier League all season with Sheffield, I'd have thought a place in the PL next season would be a formality.

With regards Daniel Halsey I'm in full agreement, and was my Man of the Match too.

Did not like what I witnessed yesterday just very bad behaviour from the so called supporters and totally unprofessional behaviour from Simon Lambert.Why must alchol come into this.Ihave never seen drunken disorder at mildenhall speedway.Just a very well organized club.

sound like Lambert gave it back as good as he got!!!

i guess the lad scoring 18 and putting Stoke in the box seat was the main reason

I think we've all aired our views on this topic now, and we will have to agree to disagree with each other, as there are to many important things in life to concern ourselves with as and when they come along other than handbags at speedway.

I'm thankful that all four riders in that race are safe, albeit maybe a bit bruised, and will be fit to race in their next scheduled meetings.

As for next Sunday, I just hope that EVERYONE on both sides of the fence, are adult enough to realise that these things happen sometimes, and that lessons have been learned from them.

The verbal behaviour of certain people in front of the bar on the 1st bend does need addressing by the management. We try to preach to the unconverted what a good family sport we have, and a fair amount of families sit in that area, and should not be subjected to such treatment.

As for you Jack, and you know who you are, please, for the good name of the majority of Mildenhall fans, stop deliberately winding people up week in week out, in an attempt to entice trouble. You're a grown man for goodness sake who cares about his team, and you're stepping to far over the line with your biased attitude.

As I said in one of my earlier postings, I don't support either club, so I'll be happy at the end of the day if one team wins one trophy, and the other, the other.

So this is my last posting on this meeting and its events, and I'll close by hoping that the same minority of idiots don't spoil it for all and sundry again this coming Sunday. If you don't goad the riders, they'll have no need to retaliate, and everyone will go home safe and happy.

Do you not find Chris Louis comments in the comic a little hypocritical though,isnt it what he does week in week out on Sky?

To be fair Mildenhall management have been issuing some quite inflamatory press releases all season. I can see how they would want to come in on their first season and win it all and say there you are that is how it is done but this gives the supporters the wrong role modelling in my opnion.

After last years dissapointment the play off's and KO cup final couldnt come soon enough and all that pressure is obviously spilling over and pressure valves are releasing.

Simon Lambert will always be an asset to the NL, however long he stays in it, and the NL are lucky he is still prepared to ride in it as some riders do see it as step backwards and just struggle in the PL. He is one of those riders that bring the supporters out and we all know the league needs that.

We don't need riders wielding spanners either!!

The rider concerned should have been removed from the pits and certainly not have been allowed in heat 15.

to all you mildenhall fans,STOP MOANING

To be fair Mildenhall management have been issuing some quite inflamatory press releases all season. I can see how they would want to come in on their first season and win it all and say there you are that is how it is done but this gives the supporters the wrong role modelling in my opnion.

After last years dissapointment the play off's and KO cup final couldnt come soon enough and all that pressure is obviously spilling over and pressure valves are releasing.

Cant agree with that.

I'd suggest there hasnt been anything about any Mildenhall press releases this season that could be considerred inflammatory. Publicity seeking, yes, at times - but that's part of promoting Speedway. Inflammatory is wildly over-exaggerating it, which you and certain others seem only too keen to do on here.

Secondly, I think the fact that Mildenhall are still in the hunt for any honours this season (albeit big outsiders to overhaul Stoke over two legs in either KO Cup or play-offs, IMO) is a complete bonus to the promotion. Michael Lee said in April that they'd built a team with the primary aim of winning home matches and that is what has been achieved.

Edited by neil3065