British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Polish Riders In Britain

Andy Huszcza-Hackney/Leicester

I couldn't believe he was still riding in his own country last season and doing pretty well too. :approve:

I know what you mean he got to be a very good friend of my dads and was pleased to see he was still riding and like you say doing well.

Andrzej Huszcza - still in good form in the main body of his team from Zielona Gora :D . Phenemenon for me. Other great polish riders in his age, Roman Jankowski or WOjciech Żabiałowicz, ended their careers years ago systematically scoring less and less points. Zenon Plech had to leave his bikes in a garage at the age of 34. He had horrible heart problems, because of his easy way of thinking about health. It was complications after influenza as far as I remember. He felt unconcious one day in 1986 in his garage on the stadium. Appeared in 1 or 2 clashes after that and ended career in 1987. He was the greatest Polish rider ever and became the hero here in Gdansk for every speedway fan. Do you want to know anything more about Zenon?

Andrzej Huszcza - still in good form in the main body of his team from Zielona Gora :D . Phenemenon for me. Other great polish riders in his age, Roman Jankowski or WOjciech Żabiałowicz, ended their careers years ago systematically scoring less and less points. Zenon Plech had to leave his bikes in a garage at the age of 34. He had horrible heart problems, because of his easy way of thinking about health. It was complications after influenza as far as I remember. He felt unconcious one day in 1986 in his garage on the stadium. Appeared in 1 or 2 clashes after that and ended career in 1987. He was the greatest Polish rider ever and became the hero here in Gdansk for every speedway fan. Do you want to know anything more about Zenon?

Andy Huszca rode for Hackney in 1981, 24 years ago and he's still riding - excellent!

Zenon Plech was my first speedway hero in 1976: thrilling, brilliant, talented and a charming personality. He is very highly regarded among Hackney Supporters.

Roman Jankowski also rode for Hackney in 1980/81.

I couldn't believe he was still riding in his own country last season and doing pretty well too. :approve:

He has just celebrated his 48 birthday and is starting his 31 speedway season this year :approve:

I couldn't believe he was still riding in his own country last season and doing pretty well too

Let me tell you, Huszcza still kicks-ass on and off the track. At last years physicall evaluation he ranked second(!!!!) amongst his teammates.Only 25 year-old K.Stojanowski was better.

I remember Auntie Una saying about Zenon Plech washing his leathers in her washing machine, he couldn't understand why the machine was jumping all over the kitchen and then wondered why his leathers never fitted after the final spin :lol: bless him!

I remember Auntie Una saying about Zenon Plech washing his leathers in her washing machine, he couldn't understand why the machine was jumping all over the kitchen and then wondered why his leathers never fitted after the final spin  :lol:  bless him!

His jokes - it could be a topic for a night to talk about. Once, in Poland, when he was riding for Gorzów, his team mate was washing his bike using a speedway fuel. You must know (if you don't yet of course :) ) that flames of methanol are invisible. So Zenon puted his cigarette into a jar with fuel :o. His mate was very surprised when it burned his hand :P. It wasn't responsible but that is waht kind of lad is Zenon.

The other rider that came over with was called Jan Zabek, who for me featured in one of the best rides I have ever seen.

Jeez, when I first read that, I thought it said "one of the best sides I have ever seen" and was thinking what is he on??? :D I remember Jan, the fence scraper extraordinaire, he was probably the only shining light of the 1980 season. I think Patynek suffered a spinal injury on the training track after that Eastbourne meeting?

Some of the information that accompanied them through the Iron Curtain in those days was very unreliable, I think Jan was initially described as being about 26, and he turned out to be 34 or 35!

Zenon, rode his last season in Britain at Sheffield, although I think we got him when he was on downslide of his career , even so he was still a useful second string.

Unfortunately he was, a shame really as even in the odd World Final I saw him in, I never really saw "live" the rider as described by the Hawks people here. I used to be pen pals with Zenon's fan club secretary, some of you may know who I mean (Carol something?) I believe he lived with Shawn Moran throughout his time with the Tigers.

There was a Polish rider that I have not seen mentioned, he rode for Leicester, not too sure about the spelling, but it was something like: Stefan Kwoczala.

Yes, Stefan Kwoczala rode for Leicester in 1960. He was their second top scorer behind Ken McKinlay, scoring 228+20 in 26 matches.

I'm sure Gem can give you more details.

He was replaced in 1961 by one of the best Poles of all, Pawel Waloszek.

Funniest thing must have been Jan Puk and Joseph Kaffel, Kaffle signed for Eastbourne and Puk came with him. they didnt speak english and where both chucked in at Kings Lynn, trouble was because neither spoke the lingo EB were not sure who was who, and it turned out that Puk was only meant to be Kafels mechanic! and EB were well and truly stuffed!

hmmm

There was a polish rider called Piotr Pyszny who rode for Halifax in the early

80s. I remember him taking ages to get used to the banked track but when he

did he was quite good,no good away from home if i recall though. doe,s any one

remember him.

Decent see him for Poole as well as Halifax talented JANkOWSKI of Hackney was flying one night at Swindon got a 12 pt max i think? also he rode well in THE 1980 wtc in poland.

Decent see him for Poole as well as Halifax talented JANkOWSKI of Hackney was flying one night at Swindon got a 12 pt max i think? also he rode well in THE 1980 wtc in poland.

http://wwosbackup.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=priders&action=display&thread=2296