British Speedway Forum
Fozzie4388

2012 Gp Wildcards Announced

And for 2011 none of the three faced even a single GP rider as far as I can see.

as i said that is entirely because the GP riders KNOW that they will get a nomination if they are outside top 8 which means they don't bother with the qualifiers.

You can't blame the qualifiers for not beating GP riders if they GP riders don't ride in the qualifiers? Therefore qualifiers are more worthy then the charity cases.

Edited by Ghostwalker

I'm glad to see Bomber, Freddie and Nicki getting a permanent wild card picks for 2012. Sensible decision I think as all the riders seem to have had trouble getting used to the new silencers/and the different way the machine performs and this at least gives them chance to have another try but think only for the 1 extra year!........if they don't "up their form" and get into their stride in 2012 they souldn't be picked again for 2013. Obviously then let some other rider have a go as it seems to be quite hard to get into the Gps otherwise.

as i said that is entirely because the GP riders KNOW that they will get a nomination if they are outside top 8 which means they don't bother with the qualifiers.

You can't blame the qualifiers for not beating GP riders if they GP riders don't ride in the qualifiers? Therefore qualifiers are more worthy then the charity cases.

but this takes us full circle to if we think IMG are doing a good job or not

why do the riders think it is ok to miss qualifiers? along with the cluttered calendar..... it is because if they do badly in them it makes it more difficult for IMG to give them a wildcard......... with the way that IMG do things we can see how this gives them more options............. for instance if Bomber had entered the qualifiers and crashed and burned on top of his dip in GP and league form I think even IMG would have found it difficult to justify giving him a card.............. I do not currently see IMG insisting that riders do the qualifiers

Pepe & Bjarne are good examples why IMG need the wildcards.... maybe they have just been unlucky in the past... or maybe they were not prepared enough..... either way they have both had disastrous campaigns historically.... make 3 qualifiers like that and it makes it important that there are wildcards in there who are on the pace or it will be a GP field of two standards

I do think IMG are doing a good job ... and especially when we consider what it would most likely be like left to the FIM or another pocket of the speedway fraternity ............. I dont think it is a bad thing to question the way that they do things but it is easy to miss the woods for the trees

spook, imo the reason to why the likes of Bjarne and Pepe manage to qualify is due to the lack of established opponents. If there would be plenty of GP riders would ride the

qualifiers its would perhaps be less likely that riders like Bjarne, Pepe... would qualify.

Freddie managed to go through the qualifiers for 2011 so he obviously knows how to do it and that it can be done.

IMG has managed a few good picks the latest years, like Emil, Holder and AJ but several of their other picks have not been successful,

spook, imo the reason to why the likes of Bjarne and Pepe manage to qualify is due to the lack of established opponents. If there would be plenty of GP riders would ride the

qualifiers its would perhaps be less likely that riders like Bjarne, Pepe... would qualify.

Spot on :t:

Freddie managed to go through the qualifiers for 2011 so he obviously knows how to do it and that it can be done.

IMG has managed a few good picks the latest years, like Emil, Holder and AJ but several of their other picks have not been successful,

so you are saying if the guys who are being given wildcards were to go into qualifying... then Pepe and Bjarne wouldnt qualify?

Which of their picks have not been successful? And why did IMG pick them in the first place?

Which of their picks have not been successful? And why did IMG pick them in the first place?

Tai. Harris for all but one year (last) when he did finish in the top 6. Nicholls - a number of seasons.

All picked purely because they were British.

1. so you are saying if the guys who are being given wildcards were to go into qualifying... then Pepe and Bjarne wouldnt qualify?

1. No i what i say is that if the wild cards were scrapped, together with a limit at top 5 for automatically qualifying, those who want to be sure of spot in the Grand Prix

the next season would have to enter the qualifying. If they did that there would be tougher opposition in all of the qualifying rounds which would mean that it presumable

would be less likely to se riders like BP and PP qualifying in the end.

2.:

outside top 8 2007-2011, top 9: 2006:

wild card for season:

2011: Nicki Pedersen, Janusz Kołodziej

2010: Tai Woffinden, Hans Andersen, Fredrik Lindgren, Chris Harris.

2009: Scott Nicholls, Chris Harris, Fredrik Lindgren

2008: Chris Harris, Krzysztof Kasprzak, Fredrik Lindgren

2007: Antonio Lindbäck, Chris Harris, Bjarne Pedersen

2006: Niels Kristian Iversen, Antonio Lindbäck, Scott Nicholls, Piotr Protasiewicz, Lee Richardson

Qualifiers for season:

2011: Artem Laguta, Antonio Lindbäck, Fredrik Lindgren

2010: Magnus "Zorro" Zetterström

2009: Grzegorz Walasek, Sebastian Ulamek

2008: Niels Kristian Iversen, Lukas Dryml, Bjarne Pedersen

2007: Wieslaw Jagus

2006: only WC,no qualifiers.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Tai. Harris for all but one year (last) when he did finish in the top 6. Nicholls - a number of seasons.

yes absolutely and takes us once again full circle back to the question of if we think IMG are doing a good job or not....... if they are and the alternative isnt worth thinking about then it is naive to think that they wont make sure they put bums on seats

1. No i what i say is that if the wild cards were scrapped, together with a limit at top 5 for automatically qualifying, those who want to be sure of spot in the Grand Prix

the next season would have to enter the qualifying. If they did that there would be tougher opposition in all of the qualifying rounds which would mean that it presumable

and again we are going full circle to if IMG are doing a good job or not............ well are they?

yes quota and the such like isnt very romantic for a world championship but it just wouldnt be good for the sport or coverage if half the field was from Poland .......or some other undesirable make up of numbers

Just for arguments sake...... can I ask what kind of a step back it would be for the GP's to have a field of:

Hancock

Jonsson

Hampel

Crump

Sayfutdinov

Kasprzak

Pepe

Bjarne

A Laguta

Nicholls

Richardson

Walasek

Ulamek

Dryml

Sullivan

Woffinden

this is what could happen with your method

(and yes I do know some of them dont try to qualify anymore ;) )

my heart tells me that we should have some grand qualifying arrangement.... minimal WC's.... no corporate consideration etc etc ....... but this is the real world and I only need to take a quick scan around world speedway to see what a mess the GP's/world championship could be

we have riders cheating, UK and Polish promoters bringing the sport into disrepute, laughable TV deal brokered in UK, riders threatening to strike over silencers in Poland, riders not being paid, clubs going down........................... considering all of that IMG seem to me to be a very solid and reliable, flagship, cornerstone of our sport and I think what they do works ........ on the whole

re bjarne and pepe and your scenario........ if 11 of the riders have to qualify with no wildcards then that theoretically means that 10 of the gp field go into the qualifiers...... surely that means we either get the same stragglers back or Bjarne and Pepe in? I dont see how it makes it more difficult for them tbh

2.:

wild card for season:

2010: Tai Woffinden, Hans Andersen, Fredrik Lindgren

2006:Niels Kristian Iversen, Antonio Lindback, Kingdom Scott Nicholls, Piotr Protasiewicz, Lee Richardson

Qualifiers for season:

ok so the wildcards...... the brits have been covered ........Lindgren and Andersen are perfectly reasonable picks and also have been on the pace............. KK would have been chosen to boost the Polish numbers for that year and probably deserved a shout through his league form.............for Lindback in 2007 see Ward in 2011..... and Bjarne also will have been making up Danish numbers.....

I really dont see an issue with the picks tbh and any rider who stunk out the place or didnt invest as much as they should have were shown the door as far as I know

Edited by spook

Harris was given a wildcard for 2007 - proved to be correct really, Won a GP, had a 3rd. Finished joint 7th.

In 2007 he score the same number of points as the guys in 7th and 8th giving him a place for 2008. It suggested he was one of the best 15 rider in the World if he could score the same number of points as the guy in 7th in the World Championship and finished 9th himself. He also won a GP and had a podium finish.

He was lucky to get a place for 2009 TBH, he did nothing in 2008.

In 2009 he finished 5th in the qualifier. Suggesting there was nobody outside the GP's better than him.

Then he qualified by finishing 6th in the series, joint 5th but Greg finished high due to GP wins. Had they used that to separate the 3rd guys in 2007 and not a run-off, Bomber would have been 7th.

He's had one season where his qualification was dubious, every other years he's probably been deserving.

Edited by SCB

the next season would have to enter the qualifying. If they did that there would be tougher opposition in all of the qualifying rounds which would mean thattot presumable

2.:

wild card for season:

2010: Tai Woffinden, Hans Andersen, Fredrik

Lindgren

2006: Niels Kristian Iversen, Antonio Lindbäck, Scott Nicholls, Piotr Protasiewicz, Lee Richardson

Qualifiers for season:

Add Chris Harris to 2010 picks

Yes it was rightfully moved. Did I say it shouldn't be? No. I just like laughing at people who take it upon themselves to police the internet. Real heroes of our time.

The fact you think you've won some kind of victory because it was moved speaks volumes. Anyway chief, don't let me stop you catching those naughty internet offenders, I hear on the grapevine someone somewhere is planning on starting a a thread about golf in the GP section, best get it covered big guy.

Dear oh Dear such an infinitely sad reply! Did you also not see the emoticons i attached to illustrate it was said in light mood? I gave the single obvious and understandable reason for wishing it was in the correct section of the forums. I didn't personally insult the original poster. Simply pointed out why it needed to be in it's rightful section of the forum.

A 'victory' ????????? Nothing of the sort so pathetic could ever cross my mind. Also, i simply don't have the time and certainly not the inclination to engage in such low trivia occupying my mind. I've had a topic moved in the past to a different section and it never remotely registered for a second as being a 'loss'. Admittedly, it was a hard to judge where to post one. But all the same i wouldn't ever be over-sensitive for it to matter a jot or view such a thing as a victory or loss. I've never policed the internet in my life in the insultive way you are inferring. I'm actually heavily and with great success involved in many freedom of speech campaigns and projects. Only time i'd object to free speech is if it's insulting or abusive to others.

Ok that's more than enough in going so far as to give you a courtesy of a reply for your post. Now we move on to the rest of it and once again it's necessarily to issue MY standard statement of;

Please take note i'm not getting engaged in 'off-topic attacking the poster and not the post' conversations. There is way too much of it across the forums. It's a very inconsiderate waste of the forum owner's bandwidth, which presumably is not free, to use the forums for abuse, insults or creating and carrying out personal vendetta's and off-topic feuding when it's purpose of being a forum is for speedway discussion.

Edited by manchesterpaul

Dear oh Dear such an infinitely sad reply! Did you also not see the emoticons i attached to illustrate it was said in light mood? I gave the single obvious and understandable reason for wishing it was in the correct section of the forums. I didn't personally insult the original poster. Simply pointed out why it needed to be in it's rightful section of the forum.

A 'victory' ????????? Nothing of the sort so pathetic could ever cross my mind. Also, i simply don't have the time and certainly not the inclination to engage in such low trivia occupying my mind. I've had a topic moved in the past to a different section and it never remotely registered for a second as being a 'loss'. Admittedly, it was a hard to judge where to post one. But all the same i wouldn't ever be over-sensitive for it to matter a jot or view such a thing as a victory or loss. I've never policed the internet in my life in the insultive way you are inferring. I'm actually heavily and with great success involved in many freedom of speech campaigns and projects. Only time i'd object to free speech is if it's insulting or abusive to others.

Ok that's more than enough in going so far as to give you a courtesy of a reply for your post. Now we move on to the rest of it and once again it's necessarily to issue MY standard statement of;

Please take note i'm not getting engaged in 'off-topic attacking the poster and not the post' conversations. There is way too much of it across the forums. It's a very inconsiderate waste of the forum owner's bandwidth, which presumably is not free, to use the forums for abuse, insults or creating and carrying out personal vendetta's and off-topic feuding when it's purpose of being a forum is for speedway discussion.

Oh dear, oh dear... :blink:

I thought you were " far too busy" to spend time on here...You're going well I have to say. :rolleyes: Do you post all the crap you do on toilet/comfort breaks? You must take lot's of them then.. :shock::rolleyes:

Edited by Jacques