British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Made the last minute decision to go and regretted it for the rest of the evening... One of the most tedious and non eventful speedway meetings I can remember. No incidents of note, apart from Neathy crashing out, and little to entertain what looked to be the best attendance of the year... Gawd knows what any first timers thought of that... The short track wasn't much to write home about. A bunch of wobblers in the main, negotiating their way gingerly around the track. One guy was lapped twice by Nelson in the final!

The highlight of the night was an 8 minute 33 second firework display. That says it all.

The chip bar ran out of food before the end, the burger stall ran out of chips half way through the meeting and even the tea bar ran out of lids, then cups!

To top it all I heard that Len couldn't agree terms with Auty and Aspregen, so gawd knows what kind of side we'll be putting out next year!

All in all a pretty crappy evening... Wish I'd stayed a home, and not for the first time this year!

Wrong!

Well at least some things never change

But seriously very dissapointed to read Shadders posting, this finale should have been a great ending to the season , but it sounds a non event!

Was hoping Auty would be Rye bound, but if the rumour is true, then it seems a case of not wishing to part with the folding again from Len :(

Made the last minute decision to go and regretted it for the rest of the evening... One of the most tedious and non eventful speedway meetings I can remember. No incidents of note, apart from Neathy crashing out, and little to entertain what looked to be the best attendance of the year... Gawd knows what any first timers thought of that... The short track wasn't much to write home about. A bunch of wobblers in the main, negotiating their way gingerly around the track. One guy was lapped twice by Nelson in the final!

The highlight of the night was an 8 minute 33 second firework display. That says it all.

The chip bar ran out of food before the end, the burger stall ran out of chips half way through the meeting and even the tea bar ran out of lids, then cups!

To top it all I heard that Len couldn't agree terms with Auty and Aspregen, so gawd knows what kind of side we'll be putting out next year!

All in all a pretty crappy evening... Wish I'd stayed a home, and not for the first time this year!

Pretty much sums it up for me as well Shads.

The tea bar also ran out of sweets and the bar ran out of plastic glasses. :rolleyes:

If the rumour I herd tonight is true about a rider already lined up for next year then Len has reached the lowest of the low and he won't see me in the future – I really do hope someone is winding me up. :nono:

Have to put my hands up, I was wrong about the crowd although the majority were visitors, predominately Ipswich fans.

The 12 man format just doesn't work and why Len has persisted with this is just mind boggling.

Some riders meet each other in 3 out of their 4 races – how is that a competitive meeting.

Why you cannot arrange 12 decent riders with a couple of reserves at this time of the season is just such a poor showing from a promoter with Len's knowledge and contacts. To then only have 11 riders with no reserves is just taking the proverbial out of the paying public.

Well done to all the riders that did race tonight and a huge well done to Kevin Doolan. :rofl:

Have to agree with shadders pretty poor show with an incomplete line up ,,several races with only two riders after Cris Neath had to withdraw from the meeting after 1 ride, witnessed by a bumper crowd,,Shame i believe efforts were made throughout the day to find available riders without success Yes Rob Mear was there but someone told me he has sold all this seasons equiptment .(dont quote me on that).. Found the Flat track racing totally boring..Had the feeling that many had a light hearted attitude to the meeting and were there for their last speedway fix of the season and to say goodbye to the riders and loads of people stayed on for this and the atmosphere was good in the bar.. Len had a big thank you for all the fans, But there was little indication of what the team might be next year.. FINAL 1ST Kevin Doolan 2nd Jordon Frampton and 3rd Ollie Allen 4TH Nelson who probably ruined his chances in the final by winning the Flat track final over 12 laps prior to the final..Oh ,,and the fireworks was a pretty good show, Though i would have prefered that money spent on a full line up of riders..(Just my opinion)..what next season brings remains to be seen....

Why no Linus Sundstrom?

Let's see now. My guess is that Linus is back home in Sweden unless, of course, anyone saw him in the crowd tonight.

I enjoyed it and was pleased to see such a good crowd, must have topped 1,000. I felt I got value for money. With a field of ony 12, I agree Len should have had enough riders on standby but the event was still fairly interesting with 4 or 5 possible winners and the short track races fitted in well. The fireworks were very good. Shame the fish sold out before the start. Perhaps Len took on board Forum expectations for a low crowd. Hopefully 2012 will be a fresh start all round and will be enjoyed by those who used to post so positively about speedway at Rye.

So why didn't you stay at home. Are your comments designed as a justification of your earlier decisions not to attend?

As far as the meeting itself is concerned, obtaining late replacements, I would imagine, is nigh on impossible. Overseas riders are back home and others have packed up for the year.

Agreed, racing was poor but balanced out by the entertainment value of Nelson in both disciplines. He completed 48 laps tonight excluding additional ones when celebrating.

The firework display was impressive and lasted 8 minute 34 seconds! ( I haven't a clue how long really lol.)

Why no Linus Sundstrom?

Back home in Sweden

Rob Mear was there but someone told me he has sold all this seasons equiptment .(dont quote me on that)

You are spot on there Waco.

So why didn't you stay at home.

Boredom mainly... Tonights events didn't cure it.

Agree the racing was a bit processional which was a shame given the large crowd. Nelson was good value and I was dissapointed that he was unable to do the double. We didn't get there until ten to six so it was only chips or go hungry.Fireworks were good though which made up what was ultimately a lack lustre meeting which had initially promised so much. Hope the promotion can turn things round next year.

Totally agree Shads. I thought the whole event was a shambles. No riders, No Food (Fish & Chip bar closed at 6.20, I was 2nd in the queue when it happened! & No Bar (Bitter, Cider & Lager sold out 20 minutes after tapes up). What was Len thinking, that only 300 were going to turn up, like the past couple of months!! Crazy. What sort of impression does it give to those attending for the fireworks etc, that this is what every meeting is like? Will stop many new supporters in their tracks short of the main gates. :angry: :angry: :angry:

I’m Very disappointed in this meeting. :(

It was criminal to not have a full field and I don’t buy into the “it’s difficult to get riders at late notice” We all knew last week that there was a good chance Tai wouldn’t be fit and Ben was injured (although he did ride for his club this week)

Surely you can have riders on standby even if you offer them a small fee for doing so and why only the one reserve anyway? Where were the Hawks team? It would have been better to give them a run out than have no rider at all. :rolleyes:

This should have been a 16 man format then even if a couple pull out at least you still have a decent show – with last nights after Neath pulled out there were only ever going to be 2 riders that didn’t make the semi finals.

I agree with all the other comments about the gate and go track and food / drink scenario.

I also herd a rumour last night about a certain rider coming out of retirement to join Rye – I hope its in some sort of consultancy role or running / training the NL side.

Totally agree Shads. I thought the whole event was a shambles. No riders, No Food (Fish & Chip bar closed at 6.20, I was 2nd in the queue when it happened! & No Bar (Bitter, Cider & Lager sold out 20 minutes after tapes up). What was Len thinking, that only 300 were going to turn up, like the past couple of months!! Crazy. What sort of impression does it give to those attending for the fireworks etc, that this is what every meeting is like? Will stop many new supporters in their tracks short of the main gates. :angry: :angry: :angry:

i would not be suprised if len thought only 300 would turn up. if you can't get the crowds in for the league matches then why would they come for an end of season individual meeting. to be honest i'm shocked to hear there was a big turn out there last night and lets hope for more of the same at the launch pad in 2012.

i would not be suprised if len thought only 300 would turn up. if you can't get the crowds in for the league matches then why would they come for an end of season individual meeting. to be honest i'm shocked to hear there was a big turn out there last night and lets hope for more of the same at the launch pad in 2012.

I wouldn't say there were lots of Rye fans - shred move to get Doolan as there were lots of Ipswich fans around plus others getting the last fix of the year ;)

What happened to Lukasz Sowka ? I thought he was previously announced to be included in the field ?