British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
asturmer

Phil Bishop

Phil Bishop was a very long serving member of the Speedway community from rider through to Manager and subsequent death in Belgium on a speedway trip as Manager of the WestHam speedway Team. Can anyone fill me in on essential information, which teams he rode for, any other information?

Phil Bishop was a very long serving member of the Speedway community from rider through to Manager and subsequent death in Belgium on a speedway trip as Manager of the WestHam speedway Team. Can anyone fill me in on essential information, which teams he rode for, any other information?

I will try the Old Time Speedway Group for more info!

Phil Bishop rode at High Beech in 1928 and began his league career with Lea Bridge in 1929. He later rode for Southampton, Clapton (again), Harringay and, in 1936, joined West Ham. After the War, he signed for New Cross then moved back to West Ham and back to Southampton....my trail goes cold after that, until he became manager of West Ham.

Phil Bishop rode at High Beech in 1928 and began his league career with Lea Bridge in 1929. He later rode for Southampton, Clapton (again), Harringay and, in 1936, joined West Ham. After the War, he signed for New Cross then moved back to West Ham and back to Southampton....my trail goes cold after that, until he became manager of West Ham.

Not sure about Phil with Lea Bridge in 1929, But phil was a top man for High Beech in 1930! He also rode a lot abroad!

Yes, of course he was. Sorry I missed that out. He rode there with his brother, George, in 1930.

In the Speedway Post 1965 Phil says "since my league career finished at Southampton in 1952, I've done all my riding overseas."

In the Speedway Post 1965 Phil says "since my league career finished at Southampton in 1952, I've done all my riding overseas."

Thanks for all the info to date. I hear he was also known as the king of crashes, breaking many bones during his long riding career!

Thanks for all the info to date. I hear he was also known as the king of crashes, breaking many bones during his long riding career!

that was the tragic thing about his death. he survived all those crashes during his racing career and ended up dying in a road accident. :sad:

Yes, he was known as the king of crash, but I recall one of his other nicknames was "the india rubber man" because he always "bounced back" from crashes.

Thanks. That explains that then!

It was said that he broke EVERY bone in his body...though I doubt that is true!

According to my sources:

Born in Bow, London. 1912 seems about right.

Started his career with Lea Bridge aged 17.

Captained High Beech.

Rode for England against Australia in tour matches in Winter 1931-2. Top scored for England at Sydney despite five broken ribs and a fractured ankle.

Philip Edward Bishop was born in Bow on July 7, 1910.

His career record was:

1930-31 - High Beech

1932-33 - Lea Bridge

1934-35 - Harringay

1936-39 - West Ham

1946 - New Cross

1947-48 - West Ham

1949-50 - Southampton

1955 - Southampton

1959 - emergency appearance for Belle Vue