British Speedway Forum
Parsloes 1928 nearly

A Sad Anniversary For London Speedway

Your analysis seems bonkers to me. Cardiff has held a pretty steady attendance of 45,000 every year since it launched in 2001. Although we have been in economic difficult times since 2008, it hasn't been enough to put people off going to Cardiff. We haven't gone Greek after all.

I don't really follow why you think the Olympics will have a big impact on Cardiff. The Olympics will be done and dusted by then and I can't imagine all speedway fans blowing all their money on the badminton and synchronised swimming. It is an entirely different market of people. You might as well argue that Cardiff will suffer because of its clash with the Edinburgh Festival.

I think the attendances have steadily increased from 2001( less than 40,000), to a peak of 45,000 in 2010, then went down a couple of thousand last year. You see a lot more Polish fans there now, which adds to the noise and atmosphere, and sales of booze!. Cant make it this year on the bank holiday. Dont think the Olympics will affect attendances, but a poorly performing British rider might!

Would there be a possibility of clearing some of the unwanted Olympic "legacy" in future years, to make way for a stadium?

I have been at meetings where the Olympic Legacy people have spoken about there being pockets of land in the wider Olympic Park/development area which they're looking for 'short-term' uses for - 'short-term' being up to 2035... So yes, there are..

I have been at meetings where the Olympic Legacy people have spoken about there being pockets of land in the wider Olympic Park/development area which they're looking for 'short-term' uses for - 'short-term' being up to 2035... So yes, there are..

Where do you reckon then? The site of the Basketball Arena (which will go nuts and bolts to Rio) is very close to the village, which will ultimately be housing and inevitably problematic. The location of the BMX track is ideal, but that is being retained for BMX. The only obvious option for me is the athletics warm-up track beside the stadium:

http://www.constructionphotography.com/Details.aspx?ID=49044&TypeID=1&searchtype=&contributor=0&licenses=1,2&sort=REL&cdonly=False&mronly=False&images=True&video=True&documents=True

Unless you have heard anything different?

No I don't know but my thoughts for it are a bit further north of this in the Eton Manor/Temple Mills part of the overall site. Less residential (near Hackney Marshes). Also think Hackney Council would be more receptive than Newham.

No I don't know but my thoughts for it are a bit further north of this in the Eton Manor/Temple Mills part of the overall site. Less residential (near Hackney Marshes). Also think Hackney Council would be more receptive than Newham.

Sounds feasible. It's the part of the park I am least familiar with. At least with Hackney, there is the heritage factor too. Saw Hackney Speedway as part of the exhibits at the London Museum of Docklands recently. It also showed a map of how the area has changed with Waterden Road erased from existence now. Here's hoping. :)

Sounds feasible. It's the part of the park I am least familiar with. At least with Hackney, there is the heritage factor too. Saw Hackney Speedway as part of the exhibits at the London Museum of Docklands recently. It also showed a map of how the area has changed with Waterden Road erased from existence now. Here's hoping. :)

As far as I know Waterden Road still exists...

As far as I know Waterden Road still exists...

Indeed it does, although not accessible from Carpenters Rd. The stadium location would be somewhere at the southern end of the International Broadcast Centre, which is accessible via Waterden Rd.

Steve

Indeed it does, although not accessible from Carpenters Rd. The stadium location would be somewhere at the southern end of the International Broadcast Centre, which is accessible via Waterden Rd.

Steve

Apologies, I had the impression it had gone.

So people didn't go to a GP in the Czech Republic because of the Olympics in London in a few months time? Yeah, right. And you wonder why people are laughing at you!

I suggest you go back and read what I said again. This was the gate would be down at Cardiff because of the Olympics and people not using their cars as much. Then there is the cost of petrol.

I very much hope I am wrong but I just think the crowd at Ullevi will be awful tomorrow so continuing the downward attendances at GP this season.mainly due to the recession

Steve

Looking at Google maps it looks like they've re-aligned Waterden Rd, and the remains of the original road runs in front of the hockey centre.

The road directly in front of the broadcast/press centre runs through the old pits as I remember from 1988 (last time I visited) and just to the left of the old scoreboard.

Looking at Google maps it looks like they've re-aligned Waterden Rd, and the remains of the original road runs in front of the hockey centre.

The road directly in front of the broadcast/press centre runs through the old pits as I remember from 1988 (last time I visited) and just to the left of the old scoreboard.

I sat down and compared the modern layout directly against an old map I had. It appears that the stretch of road past the stadium is pretty much the same, but they may have messed with the area where it joins the A106. Also, with much of Carpenters Rd gone (where the aquatic centre is), the bottom end is a little different, but the old shape of Waterden Rd remains as it joins the road that rings the Olympic Stadium.

Steve