British Speedway Forum
Midland Red

Speedway Gp In Tatters !

No idea... I was responding to the point that all British tracks should run on the same night... The fact is individual promoters will do what's best for them pragmatically and run on a night in line with how they see their business can best prosper.. Would seem that for most, Monday's NOT that night..! :rolleyes:

You said that it's not possible to have the same race night the fact is you can ...i am sure in Sweden Tuesday is not the best day to run speedway but to move forward you have to try, in Elite league's case maybe two set nights is the way forward .

Edited by orion

I think the BEL could actually run all its meetings on a couple of midweek days, but the reality is certain days are just not good for crowds in some places. The idea of running at midweek tracks in GP weeks and weekend tracks on non-GP weeks also wouldn't work as you'd need an equal split of tracks, and of course the weekend tracks still need to race against each other at some point.

The loss of 12+ prime weekends has been greatly detrimental to British speedway, even if it's not the only reason for the decline.

how come then the Swedish league have decent crowds on Tuesdays (Elitserien) and Thursdays (Allsvenskan)?

If the teams in Allsvenskan can get 1000-1500 people on a regular series meeting on a Thursday, shouldn't the British leagues also be able to

get good crowds on weekdays?

Edited by Ghostwalker

What current EL clubs can't run on a Monday night ? how many many have dog racing on a Monday night ?

So what promoters would want run on a Monday night when there is Live Elite Speedway on Sky. You only have to look at how many people attend a live Sky meeting to show that would finish Speedway completely

You said that it's not possible to have the same race night the fact is you can ...i am sure in Sweden Tuesday is not the best day to run speedway but to move forward you have to try, in Elite league's case maybe two set nights is the way forward .

Well okay - I was talking (initially) about tracks as a totality; I see now you just mean EL tracks. Maybe they COULD run all on a Monday - though I'm not hugely convinced of the value of doing that... Purely selfishly, Monday would be a whole lot better for me to attend my local track, Lakeside...

So what promoters would want run on a Monday night when there is Live Elite Speedway on Sky. You only have to look at how many people attend a live Sky meeting to show that would finish Speedway completely

Sweden and Poland ride on the same day as when they have a live tv match did it finish off speedway completely ? ...i never said anythnk what promoters would want to ride on a monday just pointing out that it is possable to have a set race night the uk if they wanted to .

Could the answer not lie in the simple idea of just limiting the league to one meeting a week? i.e. Each team keep their designated race night, but only ride one meeting per week, ala Sweden/Poland.

That way the top boys might feel the need to come back if they know they are only doing one meeting over here per week. Just a thought.

I do understand it's a numbers game and most tracks need the current amount of meetings, but I think this could work.

So, up to 5 wildcards per GP !

Riders prefer lucrative league bookings over GPs

Time to isolate the GP from the World Championship, and bring back a proper, one-off, World Championship event each season

No reason why we can't have a World Champion alongside the GP Champion - is there ?

I agree I would scrap the GP series it has gone staler by the year anyway and imo has turned into a borefest.

I agree I would scrap the GP series it has gone staler by the year anyway and imo has turned into a borefest.

I Totally agree,is there many people on hear that agree with you?i think it has nearly run its course if it is to survive and prosper it defenitely needs a revamp.Parsloes was crucified on here about the status quo but he is right.I hate it that are league speedway is aloud to suffer and been aloud to go to the dogs.This illusion that gpseries is brilliant ive never thought this and speedway hasnt proggresed as WHOLE because of it.

I Totally agree,is there many people on hear that agree with you?i think it has nearly run its course if it is to survive and prosper it defenitely needs a revamp.Parsloes was crucified on here about the status quo but he is right.I hate it that are league speedway is aloud to suffer and been aloud to go to the dogs.This illusion that gpseries is brilliant ive never thought this and speedway hasnt proggresed as WHOLE because of it.

Well don't watch it then. I enjoy it and on nights when the GPs don't clash with other fixtures at Leicester there is usually a few of us watching it on my TV. Some of my mates watch it when they are at MX events in their motorhomes. It is a very popular series.

how come then the Swedish league have decent crowds on Tuesdays (Elitserien) and Thursdays (Allsvenskan)?

If the teams in Allsvenskan can get 1000-1500 people on a regular series meeting on a Thursday, shouldn't the British leagues also be able to

get good crowds on weekdays?

Because it's what they've always done? The Swedish league has run on Tuesdays for years, mainly because it was the only day you could get the top riders that rode in the British League. Poland rode Sundays because that's the traditional day-off in a Communist economy. British racenights have always been about availability - I doubt there's a single track that wouldn't run Friday or Saturday night, given the option.

If the teams in Allsvenskan can get 1000-1500 people on a regular series meeting on a Thursday, shouldn't the British leagues also be able to get good crowds on weekdays?

Could be all sorts of reasons. Long summer nights, shorter working hours, fewer competing sports in the vicinity of the tracks, easier to reach the tracks (try driving on congested British roads during the week), cheaper prices, and so on and so forth...

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I'm sure if you have an idle moment this Northern Winter you can look up each club on the internet and add them all up, but the main bike venues run every fortnight through 'til end of March. Don't forget some tracks, like The Alice, run mixed meetings with Solos, Sidecars and Four-wheeled classes as well. I'll be doing about eight or nine meetings including Auckland GP, Senior, Under-21 and Junior OzChamps plus Longtrack and the final of the Sidecars Grand Slam; venturing out, armed only with several jars of highly volatile home-made Mango Chutney, from my Fortress of Ineptitude in the Northern Territory to invade SE OZ & UnZud!

Just out of curiosity, Cockney Rebel, how close is your nearest bikes-only track? Mine's 3000km away.

I'm not sure of the relevance of your question but my nearest track now is Sheffield about 35miles. Unfortunately due to ill health I have onley attended 1 meeting there in the two years I have lived here. My previous team Rye House was about 40 miles from where I lived but both Lakeside and Ipswich were nearer.

My question re the number of meetings was not meant to be a dig or sarcastic. More trying to get an insight as to why most Aussies it seems prefer individual meetings to team events. As you must know most tracks in this country run about 30 meetings a year. 30 individual meeting a year would drive me mad but eight or nine I could live with if there was no alternative. I guess it the size of the countries that dictates things. I would hate to think what a local derby would be down there. Also with so few meetings compared to this country how the hell do you produce so many good young riders.

The fact that league speedway is in such a state in the UK is down to the BSPA and no one else.

The run-down stadia, lack of promotion and selling of the sport, rules that come in and are changed 12 months later, watering down of the overall league standard..can any of this be pinned at BSI??

BSI has had the balls to bring speedway back to large big city venues (Ullevi, Parken, Cardiff). Apart from the hugely anticipated National Speedway Stadium in Manchester which fingers crossed will actually be built, can you name more than a handful of UK speedway stadiums that you would entertain corporate clients at?

Poland and its league structure seems to survive and prosper and has seen considerable capital investment in new facilities. Can you explain to me where the GP series has stood in the way of this?

The fact that league speedway is in such a state in the UK is down to the BSPA and no one else.

The run-down stadia, lack of promotion and selling of the sport, rules that come in and are changed 12 months later, watering down of the overall league standard..can any of this be pinned at BSI??

BSI has had the balls to bring speedway back to large big city venues (Ullevi, Parken, Cardiff). Apart from the hugely anticipated National Speedway Stadium in Manchester which fingers crossed will actually be built, can you name more than a handful of UK speedway stadiums that you would entertain corporate clients at?

Poland and its league structure seems to survive and prosper and has seen considerable capital investment in new facilities. Can you explain to me where the GP series has stood in the way of this?

Great points,i agree totally about inept facillities poor stadia when the leagues were doing well the investment was not forth coming.Im not against the series i watch and enjoy some of it but league racing i prefer personally.Answers i dont say that i no really what they are for the long term.myself maybe look into a squad situation ie] then maybe the quality Crump, holta,jonsson, ect might race the odd night hear and there and raise the level again.

very good post and spot on.british speedway is dieing on its knees.british culture is always blame some one else or thing as reason.sgp is by no way perfect but is the way forward i believe, right or wrong.

all this talk of running gp in week and so on will never happen. i take clients and they wouldnt go in week so what would be the point of being a sponsor ?

i must admit poole is on my door step and i sponsored the club and many riders there in the past but i only go two or three times a year now.