British Speedway Forum
Midland Red

Speedway Gp In Tatters !

Well yes, but regardless of who's to blame, this is a factor that will determine whether someone attend the event or not.

In a larger city with plenty of choice though, it's still easier to find a range of accommodation. Charging 120+ quid a night for a Travel Inn is an absolute disgrace under any circumstances.

Geez, is that what happens..? In which case that's a total scandal...

Surely big companies like that have fixed rates don't they..? Raising prices for a 'captive' audience like the SGP crowd is a total disgrace.. Anyone considered contacting the City' Council's Trading Standards dep't..?

On the basis that 50,000+ turn up for Wembley (the only reason you would move from Cardiff is if Wembley gets more people to go), then you will find that prices for London hotels are comparable to Cardiff.

On the basis that 50,000+ turn up for Wembley (the only reason you would move from Cardiff is if Wembley gets more people to go), then you will find that prices for London hotels are comparable to Cardiff.

There's no way that the local Travellodge type hotels would put their prices up for an SGP in London though..!

Message from SCB: Will someone tell Humphrey Appleby and Parsloes 1928 nearly that it is indeed scandelous [sic] that hotels charge £120 a night. So they have just ruined their own argument is that is pretty much the gate (rate?) in London!

Edited by June01

Message from SCB: Will someone tell Humphrey Appleby and Parsloes 1928 nearly that it is indeed scandelous [sic] that hotels charge £120 a night. So they have just ruined their own argument is that is pretty much the gate (rate?) in London!

So, what about all the hotels I've just searched for that are well under a hundred notes? That includes a number in the Heathrow area.

Steve

ease their prices for a GP weekend.

With the greatest of respect , like for like it is cheaper to stay in a Hotel in London than Cardiff. The reason is most of the hotels in London cater for Business people from Monday to Friday and would be nearly empty on Fridays and Saturdays so there are plenty of special offers from firms like Holiday Inn, Hilton etc. Take the other way round ,nearly all the hotels increase their prices in Cardiff knowing they have a captive audience.

Ah a nice 5 min stroll to Wembley :)

You know, if it's a choice between spending silly money to stay within a 10-minute walk, or having to sit on a train for 45 minutes in order to save 50 or 60 quid, I know what I'm doing...

Steve

Geez, is that what happens..? In which case that's a total scandal...

Surely big companies like that have fixed rates don't they..? Raising prices for a 'captive' audience like the SGP crowd is a total disgrace.. Anyone considered contacting the City' Council's Trading Standards dep't..?

Erm. I don't think Trading Standards would have much to say about it. It's a simple case of supply and demand.

The Premier Inn at Wembley has a normal rate of £49.

If you want to stay in the same hotel the night before the Carling Cup Final, it'll cost you £179.

The night of the FA Cup Final will set you back £189.

Best get on to trading standards about that! ;)

You know, if it's a choice between spending silly money to stay within a 10-minute walk, or having to sit on a train for 45 minutes in order to save 50 or 60 quid, I know what I'm doing...

Hotel prices in Cardiff aren't really relevant then, are they. You are happy to take a train 45 minutes from Cardiff after the GP! :)

Edited by HenryW

Hotel prices in Cardiff aren't really relevant then, are they. You are happy to take a train 45 minutes from Cardiff after the GP! :)

I've never complained about them; I was merely responding to a couple of posts. Were I going to Cardiff, I would probably do something like that if I found hotels too expensive, although I don't know the Cardiff area - or public transportation system - the same as I do London.

Steve

The Premier Inn at Wembley has a normal rate of £49.

If you want to stay in the same hotel the night before the Carling Cup Final, it'll cost you £179.

The night of the FA Cup Final will set you back £189.

But there's a lot of more availability and choice in London, especially if you're not going by car. Yes, you can drive out to the Travel Inn on the M4 at Cardiff, but it's not a place I'd particularly want to spend a weekend.

Errr.. yes, but London is a world city so you fully expect that, and it has numerous sights, attractions and events, not to mention ways of getting there. Cardiff, with all due respect, has little of this.

If I go to New York, I expect to pay a lot for accommodation. If I go to Dover, Delaware, I don't and won't.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

If it be cardiff or london, they all jack the cost up for any event not just speedway. This is normal and wont change. Cant afford it ? Dont go. Or get a job at the BSI and go for free.

If it be cardiff or london, they all jack the cost up for any event not just speedway. This is normal and wont change. Cant afford it ? Dont go. Or get a job at the BSI and go for free.

I've been working on my application since 2003...

Id be willing to bet strongly against that,the prices don't go up every other week when there is a big event on,don't forget the Arena holds plenty of events too afterall

I've been working on my application since 2003...

unless you know nothing about speedway, customer service and was born with a plum in ya mouth ya got no chance :P

Id be willing to bet strongly against that,the prices don't go up every other week when there is a big event on,don't forget the Arena holds plenty of events too afterall

ok 100 quid then. i been there for speedway, football, rugby and take that concert and hotel prices all gone up or have i just been unlucky :lol: