British Speedway Forum
Midland Red

Speedway Gp In Tatters !

AND the hotels, bars, restaurants, etc in Wembley as opposed to Cardiff?

Anyway, it's all academic. The British GP takes place in Cardiff and I for one have no problem with that.

I guess it is academic. But Phil you do need to pay a trip to Wembley (call it in the name of research) where you shall find a range of hotels , bars and eateries that were NOT there when the Busby Babes mark two lifted the European Cup..!

Am I missing something here . Big Fat Dave lands at Heathrow and he is in Cardiff 4 hours later. Wembley is 12 miles away from Heathrow. I wonder if he thinks it would take 4 hours to get to Wembley. Then there is a slight difference in costs.

Please go back on my previous posting and tell me where it is more convienent to get to Cardiff than Wembley.

Ask the Poles,Danes or Swedes what they would prefer to go to. They cannot even fly to Cardiff direct.

Once I've dumped me traps in the hotel in Cardiff I'm there, right in the middle of all the action. Why on earth would I want to go to Wembley? I'd have to stay miles away for starters, whereas in Cardiff I'm within walking distance of everything I could possibly want. Where's the nearest Walkabout Bar to Wembley - Shepherds Bush or Watford? I'd have to drink that maiden's water youse Poms call 'beer' from the local pub - not this little black duck, Mick. I'm flying half-way round the world for this, and it seems to me some of youse mob can't even be stuffed to cross the road! Some of you who are boasting about never having attended the GP at Millenium - you don't know what you're missing; every Aussie Fan I know would give an arm or a leg to go there.

Edited by BigFatDave
  • Like 2

I have been to Wembley on more than one occasion this year. It's all in the eye of the beholder but in my view Wembley (not London) cannot hold a candle to Cardiff.

I have been to Wembley on more than one occasion this year. It's all in the eye of the beholder but in my view Wembley (not London) cannot hold a candle to Cardiff.

Quite right three Phil and the No.1 reason why Cardiff is better than Wembley is that it's in Wales! :wink::lol: Merry Xmas everyone! :cheers:

I'm flying half-way round the world for this, and it seems to me some of youse mob can't even be stuffed to cross the road!

I 'only' live 2-3 hours from Cardiff (and actually my 'other place' is one of the few cities that have a direct flight to Cardiff). However, it involves a drag down a congested motorway, paying the outrageous bridge toll, and then having to park in some distant car park because there's no parking at (or anywhere near) the stadium itself. No problem, go by train instead, but then you'd better forget about getting home after the event.

None of this is insurmoutable if you're a diehard, but it's not very appealing for the casual fan. Fair enough, a lot of people enjoy the Cardiff weekend and good luck to them, but I suspect a London GP would be actually be more attractive for many. If the LDA or similar quango in London was willing to stump up more cash than the Welsh Assembly to host the GP at the Olympic Stadium, I also suspect we'd see a dramatic change of heart from Mr Rising... ;)

Speaking of which, it seems the Gorzow City Councillors are questioning the contract signed with BSI to stage the GP there. The Council Treasurer reportedly said GBP 412K was paid in two installments by the city in 2011, with the speedway club itself paying GBP 112.5K for the privilege of staging the GP.

So much for the confidentiality clause... :rofl:

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

DO you need a lift?

oh you twisted me arm :D i better book up now :P might do odd gp abroad in 2012 but were see.

I 'only' live 2-3 hours from Cardiff (and actually my 'other place' is one of the few cities that have a direct flight to Cardiff). However, it involves a drag down a congested motorway, paying the outrageous bridge toll, and then having to park in some distant car park because there's no parking at (or anywhere near) the stadium itself. No problem, go by train instead, but then you'd better forget about getting home after the event.

None of this is insurmoutable if you're a diehard, but it's not very appealing for the casual fan. Fair enough, a lot of people enjoy the Cardiff weekend and good luck to them, but I suspect a London GP would be actually be more attractive for many. If the LDA or similar quango in London was willing to stump up more cash than the Welsh Assembly to host the GP at the Olympic Stadium, I also suspect we'd see a dramatic change of heart from Mr Rising... ;)

Speaking of which, it seems the Gorzow City Councillors are questioning the contract signed with BSI to stage the GP there. The Council Treasurer reportedly said GBP 412K was paid in two installments by the city in 2011, with the speedway club itself paying GBP 112.5K for the privilege of staging the GP.

So much for the confidentiality clause... :rofl:

if it wasnt for the money spent by the polish and the english gp the series would fail i believe.

i cant for the life of me see why the polish citys use speedway to try and bring prople in to stay. yes there are lots of lovely polish citys but not many would want to go there on holiday. Bydgosh for start is looking at coming back but place is a bit naff for things to do. poland is the last place speedway is still a bit popular and throw large amounts off cash at it but how many more years will it last as they get more and more modern.

OLYMPIC stadium doesn't have a roof either and I would still be quite happy to drive to Cardiff (and pay the toll) rather than East London. I was born in London but don't share the view of some that it is the be all and end all as far as staging sporting events is concerned.

THE KNOW: Andy your disillusionment with speedway is well known and as a personal view that's fine. But it certainly doesn't follow that speedway in Poland, especially given the facilities they generally enjoy, will fall out of favour with the younger generation.

OLYMPIC stadium doesn't have a roof either and I would still be quite happy to drive to Cardiff (and pay the toll) rather than East London. I was born in London but don't share the view of some that it is the be all and end all as far as staging sporting events is concerned.

What's with all this, 'must have a roof' business..?!

Speedway would be totally dead within minutes if only venues with roofs (rooves..?!) had be used to stage the sport!!

And comer on, IF we could get a big Speedway meetying held in the Olympic Stadium, say, in summer 2013...: it would be a MASSIVE boost for the sport. I can't really believe that there's anyone who couldn't see that!

What's with all this, 'must have a roof' business..?!

Speedway would be totally dead within minutes if only venues with roofs (rooves..?!) had be used to stage the sport!!

And comer on, IF we could get a big Speedway meetying held in the Olympic Stadium, say, in summer 2013...: it would be a MASSIVE boost for the sport. I can't really believe that there's anyone who couldn't see that!

Its Cardiff and nothing else,cant believe whats so good about it.I would love someone to rival Cardiff we dont want a monopoly do we?Olympic stadium would be great.

BECAUSE the massive cost of staging the British GP (not just any speedway meeting) requires the insurance that a roof provides. Simples...

WE are talking about the British GP, which is by far the most expensive to stage. And there is the option of a stadium with a roof. Just as there is in Denmark and probably in the near future Sweden.

The next best thing is Torun where they have at least extended the roof to cover the track. It is not entirely weather proof but the next best thing.

If you have the option of a stadium with a roof why ignore it?

THE KNOW: Andy your disillusionment with speedway is well known and as a personal view that's fine. But it certainly doesn't follow that speedway in Poland, especially given the facilities they generally enjoy, will fall out of favour with the younger generation.

I 100% agree on the roof with you as it means meetings what ever country will go ahead.

Not disillusioned with speedway at all as it is a great sport to watch but more the people running it. They all let you down in one way or another as do the riders, one still owes me money from three years ago. Was a nice bit you ran in the star recently where he says he puts ambition ahead of money well i can second that :mad:

WE are talking about the British GP, which is by far the most expensive to stage. And there is the option of a stadium with a roof. Just as there is in Denmark and probably in the near future Sweden.

The next best thing is Torun where they have at least extended the roof to cover the track. It is not entirely weather proof but the next best thing.

If you have the option of a stadium with a roof why ignore it?

What about Gelschenkirken. It was a abslolute ideal stadium for a GP. Although they had problems with the wet shale why is it never mentioned as a GP site again. I went to the first and only GP there and thought the atmosphere was fantastic but the racing was awful. Was the gate there not 22,000 which is a great gate for a GP. Why is it never mentioned as a possible GP today. There must be other problems why this is not considered plus there is so many ways to get there from the UK

There must be other problems why this is not considered plus there is so many ways to get there from the UK

I suspect we're unlikely to hear the true story about Gelsenkirchen.