British Speedway Forum

The only question marks are over which useless foreign 'star to be' Rogers brings over this year.

And however useless they are, some Newport fan will rate them and want them signed because they beat David Mason.

Leigh Lanham, Brent Werner, Adam Roynon and Ben Barker.

Just for a change...

Actually no!! Sorry Najjer amazingly you are wrong!!!

Poole nailed this the year they had it. Great racing and line-up. Same 12-16 in this as every single year at Newport. Don't know why the line-up is even announced beforehand !

So I take it you're not coming then!!

The only question marks are over which useless foreign 'star to be' Rogers brings over this year.

So a new rider who wants to try his luck in the UK should not be given a chance ?? ..... and I love the way you just use my surname !!

So a new rider who wants to try his luck in the UK should not be given a chance ??

TBF, they're not going to drag the fans in are they? Because no UK fans have any affinity to them. You're surely better off trying to get riders who have some close connection to clubs close by so they'll drag in fans of that club.

TBF, they're not going to drag the fans in are they? Because no UK fans have any affinity to them. You're surely better off trying to get riders who have some close connection to clubs close by so they'll drag in fans of that club.

yet we have a lot of people who enjoy seeing a new face and one who might soon get a UK team place. Many tracks open meetings especially near the end of the season use 'unknowns' to UK and several have gone on to get team spots. Additionally the number of riders based in the UK in January and fit and ready to ride are limited and believe me between Nick Mallett and myself we have spoken to all of them.

yet we have a lot of people who enjoy seeing a new face and one who might soon get a UK team place. Many tracks open meetings especially near the end of the season use 'unknowns' to UK and several have gone on to get team spots.

You couldn't get any further away from the end of the season :blink:

Additionally the number of riders based in the UK in January and fit and ready to ride are limited and believe me between Nick Mallett and myself we have spoken to all of them.

Out of interest, why didn't Poole have this problem when they held the event? Their line up was exceptional.

Edited by Najjer

You couldn't get any further away from the end of the season :blink:

Out of interest, why didn't Poole have this problem when they held the event? Their line up was exceptional.

The easy answer to that is that Poole pay better money

As a Dudley fan, get roynon there

QED.

The Darren & Sharon Boocock Scholarship boys will be back in the UK by then and as fit as, Laurence! Plus a few Aussies are already back over, including KD, Wethers, Summers, Bugeja and Parker as I'm sure you'd know!

As a Dudley fan, get roynon there

spoke with Adam at the Dudley do on Saturday!!

The Darren & Sharon Boocock Scholarship boys will be back in the UK by then and as fit as, Laurence! Plus a few Aussies are already back over, including KD, Wethers, Summers, Bugeja and Parker as I'm sure you'd know!

thanks. Kev is doing it. Others do not have bikes ready and Parks has retired of course !!

I also love the keyboard critics who have never been involved in speedway and do not know what it all entails giving their viewpoints!! If you knew how much hard work goes into it all you might appreciate it more!!!

NEWPORT SPEEDWAY PRESS RELEASE :

FOUR MORE ADDED TO NEW YEAR CLASSIC LINE-UP ……and three looking for a job!!

Following on from the four riders already named for the New Year Classic at Newport on Monday January 2nd, in defending champion Lee Smart, 2010 title holder Steve Boxall , double winner David Howe and multiple open meeting top man Kevin Doolan , the Newport promotion have added four more names to the line-up.

Like reigning champion Lee Smart , three of this quartet are also using the meeting to put themselves in the shop window for promoters. So far without a 2012 team berth are 2010 Premier League Riders Champion Ricky Ashworth and former Wasps Carl Wilkinson and Chris Schramm.

2007 Premier league Riders Champion James Wright was waiting on news from his 2011 club Somerset who he joined mid-season after a team re-shuffle at Workington and the Rebels confirmed him as their final rider over the weekend.

Ashworth is still in talk with his parent club Sheffield and may end up back with the Tigers whilst the other two are, as yet, not been snapped up.

Meeting co-ordinator Laurence Rogers thinks the addition of these four makes the line-up looking interesting , “ Added in to the four named who have all tasted success around Queensway Meadows this quartet are out and out racers and all have something to prove. The ones without teams yet will want to put in a good showing to attract clubs who have not completed their line-ups . In Ashworth and Wright we also have two former Premier Rider Champions.”

“We have four more spaces left to fill the line-up and Nick Mallett and I have spoken to a fair number of riders who want to do the meeting and we will make our final decisions over which four will complete the line-up soon.”

“Additionally I have been talking to various speedway related business throughout the country about supporting the meeting with race sponsorships and hopefully we will get each race backed in addition to a meeting sponsor. Anyone interested in backing the meeting can e-mail me at : laurencerogers@blueyonder.co.uk.”

There were useless foreign 'stars' at the Poole meeting too.

yet we have a lot of people who enjoy seeing a new face and one who might soon get a UK team place. Many tracks open meetings especially near the end of the season use 'unknowns' to UK and several have gone on to get team spots. Additionally the number of riders based in the UK in January and fit and ready to ride are limited and believe me between Nick Mallett and myself we have spoken to all of them.

I have not missed a NYC since 2003 and have to say the one at Poole was an absolute cracker of a line-up. I understand there must be difficulties in putting this meeting on but, at the same time, wonder why Poole were able to put together such a strong line up 3 years ago but Newport never seem to be able to. Be honest, Main Man. Is it more to do with the money these riders are being offered to ride rather than their availability?

I assume the 12 man format is also being used. To be honest, and I hate to say it, but I can see me staying at home for this one.

Lets be controversial here. From a fans perspective, perhaps if the Newport promotion cannot put together the sort of exciting line up which reflects the fact that this is the only meeting in the close season, then perhaps another promotion (if any are interested) should be given a chance.

Edited by G the Bee

I have not missed a NYC since 2003 and have to say the one at Poole was an absolute cracker of a line-up. I understand there must be difficulties in putting this meeting on but, at the same time, wonder why Poole were able to put together such a strong line up 3 years ago but Newport never seem to be able to. Be honest, Main Man. Is it more to do with the money these riders are being offered to ride rather than their availability?

I assume the 12 man format is also being used. To be honest, and I hate to say it, but I can see me staying at home for this one.

Lets be controversial here. From a fans perspective, perhaps if the Newport promotion cannot put together the sort of exciting line up which reflects the fact that this is the only meeting in the close season, then perhaps another promotion (if any are interested) should be given a chance.

Why should it go to any other track. Tim Stone had the balls to think of the event and others laughed it off. However, its been a success to date. No other promoter had the balls to do it did they? Its an event thought of by a former and sadly deceased Newport promoter and thats where this event should stay.

Edited by LFC1892

we will be making an announcement later this week about the New Year Classic and the Prince of Wales Trophy that may well tie in with his posting