British Speedway Forum

If there are too many riders make it a 16 rider meeting then! I might venture the 10 miles to watch then. I'm afraid I'll never pay to watch a 12 rider meeting especially with a couple of semi-finals!

Does that mean that you`ll leave us alone to enjoy the meeting? :wink::lol::P

People take things too seriously. It's competitive Speedway months out of season, to not go because 'OMFG only 12 riders!' is LOLtastic.

• Like 1

People take things too seriously. It's competitive Speedway months out of season, to not go because 'OMFG only 12 riders!' is LOLtastic.

It has got nothing to do with it being either in or outside the season; I personally will not go to any meeting run on the basis of twelve riders and not because there are only twelve riders but because the whole system is a farce. You have twelve riders and eight of them will go into the semi-finals, that is a great incentive to try your hardest I do not think. The winner of such a meeting could well not be in the top eight points scorers in the meeting if a rider who scored more is withdrawn. I do not begrudge people going who enjoy that type of meeting but personally it was the reason I stopped going to these meetings at Arena-Essex.

Additionally the number of riders based in the UK in January and fit and ready to ride are limited and believe me between Nick Mallett and myself we have spoken to all of them.

With just two spots to announce the meeting organisers are going to have to let some riders who wanted to ride down, commented co-promoter Nick Mallett, “ We have a list of riders who have been in touch and ones Laurence and I have spoken to but unfortunately with the format of this meeting we only have 12 spaces available and 10 of those are now confirmed. This is the first year for a while we have had this luxury and it will be a hard decision of choosing which riders gets the final places.”

Now that Diesel as you said, is LOLtastic :D

i got to admit, that if there is a LIST of riders that want to ride in this meeting, why can't this meeting accommodate up to 16 riders? a 12 man format just doesn't seem to be a good idea. I would love to know the reason why it is a 12 man format, and what the admission will be.

I would love to know the reason why it is a 12 man format, and what the admission will be.

12 qualifing heats with 2 semi's and a final would be 15 heats, the same as a league match... I assume the admission price will reflect this.

NEWPORT SPEEDWAY PRESS RELEASE :

Final Two named for New Year Classic.

The line-up for Newport’s New Year Classic on Monday January 2nd is now complete and the promotion are pleased with the field assembled for the thirteenth staging of the event and the twelfth at Newport since Tim Stone inaugurated the event in 1999.

With five past winners of the Classic and five club number ones along with a field of out and out racers it augers well for an afternoon’s true entertainment and hard fought track action.

The final two names are both Newport track experts in former track record holder Andrew Tully and former New Year Classic winner Brent Werner.

Werner is the “Frank Sinatra” of speedway making another comeback in 2012 with Plymouth. The American ex-Wasp has an impressive record in the Classic with a win in 2006 and runner-up spots in 2000 and 2008 plus rostrum slots in 2002 and 2004.

Tully, newly installed as the Edinburgh number one for the 2012 season , is the only rider born in the Isle of Man at Douglas the place famous for TT races.

Commenting co-promoter Nick Mallett, “ We are really pleased with the final twelve we have chosen to ride. Unfortunately we have had to let down some riders who wanted to take part and must thank them for their interest.”

“We have riders who are club number ones, past winners of not only the Classic but the Welsh Open and Prince of Wales Trophy , former track record holders, ex and current Wasps and an exciting newcomer. I can’t wait !”

LINE-UP (not in riding order) : Ricky Ashworth (unattached); Steve Boxall (Plymouth); Kevin Doolan (Ipswich); Andre Hertzberg (unattached); David Howe (Scunthorpe and Kings Lynn); Anders Mellgren (Newport); Chris Schramm (unattached); Lee Smart (unattched); Andrew Tully (Edinburgh); Brent Werner (Plymouth); Carl Wilkinson (unattached); James Wright (Somerset)

Edited by Main Man

After the press release went out we have had news that Brent Werner cannot now do the meeting and we will announce his replacement hopefully tomorrow once the rider has confirmed.

Looks Like 'regrets, he had a few', but 'did it my way' then Mainman. Or was it more a case of 'Its up to you Newport.... Newport'...Frank Sinata indeed. :D

• Like 1

you are on form Semion!!

replacement sorted and will be announced later.

Edited by Main Man

NEWPORT SPEEDWAY PRESS RELEASE :

LATE CHANGE TO NEW YEAR CLASSIC LINE-UP …LEMON REPLACES WERNER

The full 2012 New Year Classic line-up announced has had to be altered with one late change as comeback rider Brent Werner , who is making a track return with Plymouth for the new season , has been forced to withdraw.

He will be replaced by another ex-Wasp and former team mate at Newport in Australian international Mark Lemon, the Newcastle rider. Lemon left Newport mid-way through 2009 when the Wasps made team changes and went to Newcastle where he immediately was a success as a Diamond.

The addition of Lemon gives the line-up another number one rider and this pleases meeting co-ordinator Laurence Rogers, “ It is a pity that Brent has had to withdraw but it was a pure co-incidence that as we took that call we also were talking with top tuner Ashley Holloway in Poland who looks after GP star Emil Sayfutdinov . He has been working on some engine set-ups with the new silencers and Lemo will be using these at the Classic.”

“Through Ashley Holloway we managed to get hold of Mark today as he was boarding a flight back from Australia via Dubai and he sent me a text confirming he would ride in the meeting.”

LINE-UP (not in riding order) : Ricky Ashworth (unattached); Steve Boxall (Plymouth); Kevin Doolan (Ipswich); Andre Hertzberg (unattached); David Howe (Scunthorpe and Kings Lynn); Anders Mellgren (Newport); Chris Schramm (unattached); Lee Smart (unattched);Mark Lemon (Newcastle); Andrew Tully (Edinburgh); Carl Wilkinson (unattached); James Wright (Somerset)

Monday January 2nd 2012 with a 1pm start.

why not get Emil,Gollob or Hampel to do meeting?

These riders not very exciting.

I'm sure they'd have been in it but what with the lack of spaces and all.... :D