British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
montie

Scunthorpe Saints 2012,

Signing Jason is a brlillant move for Scunny and for Jason. There is none as keen and approachable as Jason and he will be great for Scunny. I hinted earlier that he might not be able to continue if he gets a PL berth, but apparently the rules are changed as the limit for NL inclusion is now 6.

He has been to Northside earlier this year and was supposed to be riding in a private session this Saturday at Scunny with Danny and a few of us from Newcastle. Unfortunately the weather has damaged the track so no riding on Saturday now. I believe he has a new date to come down again but I won't post it on here. He played in our 5 a side footie match last week and showed no sign of any injury, and had no probs to report afterwards. If you want to see him in action at the footie try "Newcastle Speedway 5 a side group". He's the one in the white top.

• Like 1

Good signing Jason King, will bring your team up but how long will he stay on ten pound a point. I fear that if he gets a call from a premire club he will be gone,cant say i blame him but what then for scunny.I do hope some of the new riders start to score points and come good who knows.Look at Buxton in 2010 when unknown Branford Morris and Garrity all came good wow that was a team.

Edited by bw double

Good signing Jason King, will bring your team up but how long will he stay on ten pound a point. I fear that if he gets a call from a premire club he will be gone,cant say i blame him but what then for scunny.I do hope some of the new riders start to score points and come good who knows.Look at Buxton in 2010 when unknown Branford Morris and Garrity all came good wow that was a team.

£10 a point? i doubt that.

£10 a point? i doubt that.

Me too Damon.

But whatever, it is great to see Jason having a chance to get his career going again. He is one of the nicest blokes in Speedway and was certainly extremely popular at Mildenhall.

Hopefully this is just a stepping stone and he is soon back in the Premier League where he belongs.

• Like 1

Great signing in Jason but i think once the average come in he will go premier league.

Latest news:

JOTUN PAINTS Scunthorpe Saints have added Gary Irving and Richard Franklin to their eight-man squad prior to their first National League meeting of the season against King’s Lynn Young Stars at the Eddie Wright Raceway on Easter Monday.

23-year-old Irving comes into the team as a replacement for Jason King, who has been snapped up by Premier League Berwick Bandits and is therefore now ineligible to ride for the Saints.

Meanwhile, Franklin comes in on Monday as cover for Max Clegg, who does not celebrate his 15th birthday until next Wednesday (April 11th).

Regarding the departure of King, Saints boss Stuart Parnaby said: “We always knew Jason would be snapped up by a Premier League club at some point, although maybe we didn’t expect it so soon.

“But with the number of injuries so far this season, we were just waiting for the phone call.

“Although he didn’t get to ride in a National League fixture, he has still contributed to the Saints’ cause. He has been at the Eddie Wright Raceway helping out the younger members of the team.

“And he’s told the lads if they have any problems, to give him a call, because he’ll be there for them. That’s a nice gesture and we wish Jason well at Berwick.”

Parnaby is clearly delighted to be continuing his association with Irving, who will form a dual spearhead at the top of the Saints line-up, alongside Steve Worrall.

“I have a soft spot for Gary”, Parnaby admitted. “We rode half a season together at Scunthorpe in 2008. Gary was just returning from a big road crash, and we got to know each other.

“He’s rode a lot at Scunthorpe, not only in National League, but also amateur meetings. He’s very much part of this club. I’m glad he’s back riding a fifth season for the Saints.

“It will be a confidence booster for him to be riding for us in addition to Premier League Workington. If has had a bad meeting for Workington, he can ride for us, knock up the points and get himself back on track.

“I know he’s been struggling a bit with his starts, and we’ll help him with that.

“We suspected it was only a matter of time before Jason went Premier League, so I had already been speaking to Gary. We’re grateful to Workington for their help in allowing Gary to join the Saints and I’m sure it will be beneficial to both clubs.”

19-year-old Franklin rode for the Saints in 2009, before riding for Dudley in 2010 and 2011. However, his found himself surplus to requirements by the Heathens this season.

Parnaby said: “Richard is a Scunthorpe asset and was looking for a club. He will come in for Max on Monday, since Max isn’t 15 years old until later in the week.

“Monday is a great opportunity for Richard to show the speedway world what he is capable of.

“With the number of National League teams reducing from 10 to 8 this season, after the departure of Newport and Belle Vue, unfortunately there were going to be riders left on the sidelines.

“Who knows what will happen after Monday. There are highly likely to be other opportunites for Richard to ride for the Saints. Alternatively, another club may be able to offer him a permanent place.

“But, as he’s our asset, it’s in our interests to get him out there riding.”

Franklin’s inclusion in the team on Monday will drop Oliver Greenwood to reserve for the clash against the Young Stars, where he will partner Danny Phillips.

Edited by lucifer sam