British Speedway Forum
BigFatDave

2012 Australian Solo Championships Qualifiers And Seeded Riders

Qualifier start Friday - according to some it's at 6:00PM and others 7:00 PM Round one Saturday Ditto - as far as I know, but getting info out of anyone at MA or North Brisbane is like getting blood out of a stone. It's been advertised on local Telly but they forgot to mention where!

Apparently some riders have pulled out of the Qualifier, but it's all Chinese Whispers at this stage - and this is an Australian Championship!

Heard on the Choko Vine that a couple are out of the qualifiers: Tom Armstrong and Jason Stewart have pulled out and been replaced by Shaun Mclellan and Micky Dyer respectively. Some concern over whether Troy Batchelor will be OK for round one as well.

Meanwhile, the Aussie Speedway family is gathering apace; several riders are already in Intensive Training raining on the Gold Coast - well, OK, they're Surfing, while fans are rolling in from all over the shop. Lunchy's comfortably esconced in a cheap motel close to the track - without a fridge I might add - while I'm wallowing in the fleshpots of Surfers Paradise. Reports of me running away to escape arrest from the local cops for chasing after the Meter Maids - http://www.google.co...t/meter-maid - are greatly exaggerated - I mean to say, can you imagine me RUNNING anywhere?

Interesting to note that NONE of the riders for tonight's qualifier will receive any financial recompense for riding, let alone travelling from all points across Oz, making it a very expensive exercise for some, particularly Brenton Barnfield from Mildura, who faced a 20 hour drive across the Hay Plains to get here.

Edited by BigFatDave

BFD any further news on Troy ( the rider not the place!!!) as am interested in how he, Cory and Justin get on.

Do the start line girls look anything like the meter maids?

BFD any further news on Troy ( the rider not the place!!!) as am interested in how he, Cory and Justin get on.

Do the start line girls look anything like the meter maids?

Troy's flying in tomorrow morning - all I know so far. No Start Girls but the Perve was pretty damn good - I reckon the warm weather brings 'em out! Luckily I was able to walk most of the evening, until severe alcohol poisoning started to set in towards the end of the meeting, when I seemed to lose the use of me mind. Lunchy kept pouring JD down me throat, the bastard - I'm not sure if he's heard the expression "Bottomless Pit" before but I think he has now. A great meeting tonight with a few strong performances from some dark horses.

Qualifiers:

Rohan Tungate 13

Micky Dyer 11

Todd Kurtz 11

Sam Masters 10

Jake Anderson 10

James Holder 9

Daine Stevens 8

Don't ask me who the reserves are - six riders finished on 7 points; Harley Horwood and Tyson Nelson both had two wins so they might be the pick, but I'd suggest that MA will go to track reserves rather than two for the series.. Gutted for Mason Campton who was leading the last heat with 1/4 lap to go when his new engine died; ditto for Brenton Barnfield - one DNF cost him heaps. The racing was so good towards the end that I wouldn't have minded four more heats! Rapt that Jake Anderson and Micky Dyer performed so well, and pleasantly surprised with the strong showing of Daine Stevens and James Holder, who surprised all of us by smokin' the opposition in his first two heats.

On the social side it was great to meet up with all the other tragics who were gathered for the fray - too many to mention but all the usual suspects were there, and a few more are promised for tomorrow night. I managed to destroy another deckchair (and a full hipflask of single barrel!) - must have put on a few too many Kilos over Xmas! The club sorted out the early problems with the lights etc and by the end of the meeting there were three or four lines for some great racing - I'll drink to that! :drink: We've got the makings of another great series coming up. :cheers:

Only downside was a no-show from Tom Armstrong's replacement, Sean McLellan - maybe Tom's late withdrawal didn't help, but frustrating with riders the calibre of Kyles Newman and Howarth in the country and busting to ride - alas there's a clique of Pommy-haters in Oz who seem to delight in making it tough for visiting riders - in the end speedway's the loser.

Edited by BigFatDave

Many thanks for the update, saw the individual scores on speedway updates, but your report is more fun to read.

While you wait for tonights meeting enjoy the local bars.

No words on Newport's own Todd Kurtz, BFD?

He smoked 'em, Diesel - won three heats and did it on the bit - lost to Rohan Tungate in one heat and Micky Dyer & Sam Masters in another, so not too bad a night. Caught up with the Kurtz clan in the pits after the meeting and they were well pleased. Brady's riding tomorrow in the 350 supports as well so we'll have both brothers on display - the sooner Laurence signs up Brady the better I reckon; both great kids with their heads screwed on the right way.

Talking to Lee Morris during the meeting there was a distinct chance of Nick riding for the Mighty WASPS this year as well, but alas it was not to be. Something to keep in mind is that he's looking for a PL team as well as the Robins this season,

or not as the meeting seems to have stopped at Ht8 after Kozza Smith was helped off by Batchelor over an hour ago.

Meeting has been restarted now....already had heat 12.

or not as the meeting seems to have stopped at Ht8 after Kozza Smith was helped off by Batchelor over an hour ago.

Maybe due to the fact that smith was carted off to hospital with a suspected broken femur

No suprise that Holder won but quite a performance by Tungate to come third. Going to be a scramble among the EL clubs for his services methinks.

• Like 1

Rode out of his skin, cuz, took me by surprise.