British Speedway Forum
Midland Robin

Bob Kilby Memorial Meeting Sunday 18th March 2012

TRIPLE World Champion Nicki Pedersen is the first name to be confirmed for Swindon’s Bob Kilby Memorial meeting on Sunday, March 18 (6pm).

Pedersen, who is also the defending champion, won’t be riding in the Elite League this season so his appearance at the Abbey represents a rare UK appearance in 2012.

The Dane is one of the sport’s true entertainers and his presence is sure to help pull in a bumper crowd for the meeting which honours one of Swindon’s all-time great riders.

Bob Kilby rode over 550 meetings for the Blunsdon side in three different spells and sadly passed away three years ago this month.

Robins co-owner Gary Patchett said: “Nicki had no hesitation in agreeing to ride in the meeting and he is desperate to keep hold of his title.

“He is the ultimate professional and we are delighted to welcome him to Swindon for what should be a very special meeting on March 18.

“Nicki wants good, competitive racing ahead of the New Zealand Grand Prix and he knows by racing in a meeting like this that’s exactly what he will get.

“We are close to securing some more exciting star names and will announce them in due course. Nicki’s presence will help ensure the meeting does justice to the name of Bob Kilby.”

http://www.swindonrobins.co/news.php?extend.1574

What a stupid date for this meeting. British Speedway giving a well deserved farewell to one of the true entertainers of a generation, and Swindon decide to hold an individual on the same date. Ridiculous.

• Like 2

What a stupid date for this meeting. British Speedway giving a well deserved farewell to one of the true entertainers of a generation, and Swindon decide to hold an individual on the same date. Ridiculous.

What a joke of a post. :neutral:

Swindon shouldn't hold a meeting for one of, if not the, biggest legend the club has all because some average rider is having a farewell elsewhere? That is ridiculous.

Swindon shouldn't hold a meeting for one of, if not the, biggest legend the club has all because some average rider is having a farewell elsewhere? That is ridiculous.

I think you will find that Vog is referring to date rather than who the meeting is for.

I think you will find that Vog is referring to date rather than who the meeting is for.

As the first Sunday of the Speedway season, I think Swindon may have had the date set for some time, I believe there was even reference to it in a programme last season. An unfortunate clash, lets hope that both meetings draw a good crowd

And why shouldn't they hold it when it suits them best. Their meeting means more to them than any others I assume.

As the first Sunday of the Speedway season, I think Swindon may have had the date set for some time, I believe there was even reference to it in a programme last season. An unfortunate clash, lets hope that both meetings draw a good crowd

Not sure, but Shane's meeting was announced way back in October last year, hopefully both meetings will be well attended.

And why shouldn't they hold it when it suits them best. Their meeting means more to them than any others I assume.

Surely it would have been better for all parties if they found a different date, Shane has the date booked way back in October last year, the date for thr Bob Kilby meeting was announced last week.

I think they shopuld have the Ben Fund meeting that date as well to cut down on the opportunistic seeking foreign riders who do not give a stuff about British speedway as soon as the GP series starts.

However as for these two meetings being on the same date, where is the problem as few if any would go to both of these meetings in the first place. Many who do go are hypocrits because they say they are not going to meaningless meetings that are not league meetings, even if many league meetings are meaninghless themselves. The date for the Bob Kilby meeting was pencilled in twelve months ago and not just thought about last week.

If I was going to either it would be the Bob Kilby meeting as I remember watching him race and he was a true legend of Swindon and British speedway in general. Shane Parker was a decent rider but too often over rated, not forgetting that Bob was an English Speedway legend and Shane is nowhere in the list of legendary Australian riders.

I guess what there saying is its a shame as guys like Greg etc could had done both imeetings...its not really a case of many attending both especially in view of the distance between tracks...but i agree that it is very unfortunate as top riders should have the opportunity to do both...nevermind but lets hope it doesnt become a competition to attract the best field as both legends do not deserve there meetings being tarnished

Edited by hagonshocker
  • Like 1

Shane is nowhere in the list of legendary Australian riders.

I respect that every1 has their own opinion but as he was voted glasgows 2nd greatest rider EVER I think theres quite a few would disagree with u on that.

• Like 1

Aye right!

I respect that every1 has their own opinion but as he was voted glasgows 2nd greatest rider EVER I think theres quite a few would disagree with u on that.

Made a massive impact on the Sheffield fans in his one and only season with the club, I think a lot of other Sheffield fans would agree with me that it was an honour to have Shane ride for us in his last season.

Why are one or two sad cases appearing to be turning the two meetings against each other..like i said unfortunate clash but neither meeting or legend should be demeaned because of it...shame one or two on shanes meeting thread are attempting to eh?! Pathetic....both meetings WILL be great and well attended fan and rider wise so lets hope some on here follow suit

No issues with holding a meeting for a club legend, but it seems counter-productive to hold it on the same day as another meeting that is going to be going after the same riders to ride in it. And, for Reliant Robin, it's not the first Sunday of the season, that would be the week before. Why not hold it on the Saturday night? That way, any riders who fancy doing both can do both?

I guess what there saying is its a shame as guys like Greg etc could had done both imeetings...its not really a case of many attending both especially in view of the distance between tracks...but i agree that it is very unfortunate as top riders should have the opportunity to do both...nevermind but lets hope it doesnt become a competition to attract the best field as both legends do not deserve there meetings being tarnished

Is it really that big a problem, there are enough riders around for two strong line-ups ...

Nothing against Shane Parker, but for me there is only one 'legend' and that is Bob Kilby, even though he drove straight past me when I was hitching once...