British Speedway Forum
Midland Robin

Bob Kilby Memorial Meeting Sunday 18th March 2012

Pretty please, I really want to follow this meeting.....someone...PLEASE

same here mate, i'm not updating meeting, just helping to sort out cover for it, as I will want to watch updates on this meeting while doing other things and updating Newcastle meeting from 7pm.

Hopefully the weather will be ok for the meeting. Fitting tribute to the Ferndale-flyer in yesterday's Adver. Electric-gater, who was in the famous team with Briggo, Broady, Ashby, etc., in the late 60s. Great memories.

shame there are 2 meetings on at the same time. Hope there are large crowds at the abbey today but most people on twitter and facebook seem to be going to the sheffield meeting today

shame there are 2 meetings on at the same time. Hope there are large crowds at the abbey today but most people on twitter and facebook seem to be going to the sheffield meeting today

Really dont think that it will make a lot of difference to either meeting, as the vast majority of fans at Blunsdon will be Robins fans from the west country, and doubtful that many would travel all the way up to Yorkshire. Compared to the 60s/70s/early 80s not many fans attend away meetings now. Hope both Kilbs and Parks get big crowds. Parks was a great entertainer, sure he will do his farewell jockstrap laps, good luck to the Adelaide legend. :approve:

Edited by keef

Even from 60 miles away I can see gate 1 is a massive advantage!

Even from 60 miles away I can see gate 1 is a massive advantage!

That will be why so many swindon riders are starting from that gate then

First meeting of the season and not too cold but a few light showers but great to see some good speedway. Firstly, have to say I was shocked with the parking - after 3 or 4 years of putting everyone in from the back first, they finally listened to people and common sense prevailed - they were parking people from the front :)

Starting was a bit if a lottery - if you had gates 1 or 4 then you were alright otherwise you were 2 or 3 bike lengths down from the start!

You can't read too much into an early season individual meeting as they all test out engines and settings but the stand out riders for me were Matej Zagar (who looked the sharpest of everyone) and Hans Andersen. Well done to Bjarne for winning it.

Of the remaining 2012 Robins, Steady started slow but looked good in his last two (both off gate 1), Kildemand and Morris looked good and Batchelor was unspectacular - except for his wheelie at the start of heat 18! Let's hope he gets quickly into the groove.

Of the others, Harris was good value - always great to watch him at Blunsdon! Fisher looked very good early on and had a 9 point tally. Nicki P looked pretty good. Of the others, Shields was poor as was Klindt and Ulamek. The remainder looked pretty steady.

Good night's speedway - great to see quite a big crowd too - much bigger than the average gate last year (which wouldn't have been difficult).

That will be why so many swindon riders are starting from that gate then

Fair play & at long last we see the Swindon riders given an advantage on their home track just like wahthappens at most other teams.

It might have been an indivdual meeting but confidence in our riders doing well at home can only be a massive help.

Just thawing out after a cold wet evening at the Stade de Lite. Yes red had a massive advantage then yellow. Didnt expect Nicky Pedersen or Matty Zagar to win the final off 2 and 3. Slow times and not much passing but it was wet,and bikes were being tested. About average 2000? gate to honour the Ferndale legend. Zagar still a big favourite, hopefully he will return next year. Andersen did well, second place in both meetings. Morris and Kildemand put on good shows in a decent class field. They could be the trump cards this season. Batch will want to forget this evening, and Steady improved as it went on. Congrats to Bjarne.

I don't think the pre-match downpour helped the track, but gates 2 and 3 were woeful and something seriously needs to be done about them before the real business starts.

A good sized crowd, as Steve0 said, well above last year's average. Nicki Pedersen and Zagar both looked fast, Hans was easily the best Robin on show and Nick Morris showed very promising signs and could have made the semis barring mechanical faults.

Kildemand had a couple of good races, but we'll put Stead and Batchelor's performances down to "testing".

I'm not sure how Bjarne Pedersen does it, but he seems to sneak through these kinds of meetings, without being spectacular - but was a worthy winner on the night.

As Keef said, Matej Zagar was ever the showman, but I get the feeling he would be a nightmare to manage! Fantastic to watch though.

• Like 1

Great to see a bit of speedway at the Abbey after the long winter break even if the weather wasn't exactly at its most glorious! The rain obviously had a massive effect on track conditions, with gate 1 having a massive advantage early in the meeting and the middle two gates never really getting going all night.

Fair play to Bjarne for winning the spoils. He'd been consistent all night and made a great move on Nicki in the opening turn of the semi-final before just managing to get ahead of Hans in the final and clinging on despite a valiant chase.

Bomber and Zagar were great value all night, but both ran one duff heat in the qualifiers which ultimately cost them when the gates were drawn at the business end of the meeting. Nicki ran a little hot and cold (as he did in the Ben Fund last week) although it's hard to judge how wound up the riders are in the early season meetings.

Of the 2012 Robins, Kildemand and Morris both really impressed despite missing out on the semis. They are clearly out and out racers and have used their track time at the Abbey wisely. Nick could well have qualified in the Top 8 had he not suffered mechanical gremlins when well clear in Heat 7. Troy and Simon would probably both have expected to do better but will at least get another spin against Somerset before the real action starts. The former took a heavy spill in his final ride when flying off his bike when it reared at the start, although I'd imagine that his pride took the heaviest hit!

Heat times were slow all night, with Bjarne's 68.46 in Heat 6 the quickest of the night. They dropped to almost 72 seconds towards the end of the qualifiers - as slow as I can ever remember.

Edit to add the scores on the doors:

Qualifiers:

11 Nicki Pedersen, Bjarne Pedersen, Hans Andersen

10 Matej Zagar

9 Ryan Fisher, Chris Harris

8 Lee Richardson, Charlie Gjedde

7 Simon Stead, Peter Kildemand

6 Troy Batchelor

5 Adam Shields, Nick Morris, Mads Korneliussen

4 Seb Ulamek

3 Nicolai Klindt

0 Darryl Ritchings (Res)

Semi 1:

Andersen, Zagar, Harris, Gjedde

Semi 2:

B Pedersen, N Pedersen, Fisher, Richardson

Final:

B Pedersen, Andersen, Zagar, N Pedersen (EF)

Edited by Seb the Snail

Great to see a bit of speedway at the Abbey after the long winter break even if the weather wasn't exactly at its most glorious! The rain obviously had a massive effect on track conditions, with gate 1 having a massive advantage early in the meeting and the middle two gates never really getting going all night.

Fair play to Bjarne for winning the spoils. He'd been consistent all night and made a great move on Nicki in the opening turn of the semi-final before just managing to get ahead of Hans in the final and clinging on despite a valiant chase.

Bomber and Zagar were great value all night, but both ran one duff heat in the qualifiers which ultimately cost them when the gates were drawn at the business end of the meeting. Nicki ran a little hot and cold (as he did in the Ben Fund last week) although it's hard to judge how wound up the riders are in the early season meetings.

Of the 2012 Robins, Kildemand and Morris both really impressed despite missing out on the semis. They are clearly out and out racers and have used their track time at the Abbey wisely. Nick could well have qualified in the Top 8 had he not suffered mechanical gremlins when well clear in Heat 7. Troy and Simon would probably both have expected to do better but will at least get another spin against Somerset before the real action starts. The former took a heavy spill in his final ride when flying off his bike when it reared at the start, although I'd imagine that his pride took the heaviest hit!

Heat times were slow all night, with Bjarne's 68.46 in Heat 6 the quickest of the night. They dropped to almost 72 seconds towards the end of the qualifiers - as slow as I can ever remember.

Edit to add the scores on the doors:

Qualifiers:

11 Nicki Pedersen, Bjarne Pedersen, Hans Andersen

10 Matej Zagar

9 Ryan Fisher, Chris Harris

8 Lee Richardson, Charlie Gjedde

7 Simon Stead, Peter Kildemand

6 Troy Batchelor

5 Adam Shields, Nick Morris, Mads Korneliussen

4 Seb Ulamek

3 Nicolai Klindt

0 Darryl Ritchings (Res)

Semi 1:

Andersen, Zagar, Harris, Gjedde

Semi 2:

B Pedersen, N Pedersen, Fisher, Richardson

Final:

B Pedersen, Andersen, Zagar, N Pedersen (EF)

Kildemand and Morris i was well impressed,Morris looks to me that he in full contol and is a intelligent rider.Kildemand people will enjoy watching him very exciting mixed it bigtime with everyone.Zagar was good value came from the back had a good dual with Hans.