British Speedway Forum

Looking for some advice from well - travelled fans! Last year we went to the Grand Prix in Gorican, staying in Southern Hungary and it was excellent. Unfortunately this year the date has been changed to the start of the Summer holidays and it is now a pretty expensive option, so we are looking for another GP to go to.

The Scandanavian GP's I think will work out pretty expensive. Don't particularly want to go to Italy, which leaves Poland or Czech Republic. We looked at Gorzow, but it seems to be in the middle of nowhere (we'd like to make a 4/5 day trip of it as we have 2 toddlers!). Don't know anything really about Torun except for looking at a map! Finally, Prague - not the best racetrack, but a lovely place to visit.

So what would you recommend?

It depends what you want out of your trip. If it's just a good night out at the speedway and getting in and out of the country as fast as you can then Poland is probably your best bet for a cheap trip and a good chance of seeing some decent racing. If you want to make the speedway part of a city break then I would advise Prague without giving it a second thought. It's a cracking city to spend a few days, and nights, in. It's still relatively cheap too, though not the bargain it was 5-10 years ago.

• Like 1

Totally agree with 21st century heathen the city of Prague is brilliant, especially the castle, the parks, and along the riverside. Lots to do and very cheap travel if you decide to visit a few places just outside the city. Do not know about activites etc for youngsters but a good guide book will advise. If your children are very young or a bit picky you need to check out the food for youngsters, and even take your own as you seem to want to stay for a few days. Hope this helps.

Went Torun last September for Ekstraliga play-off meeting,and it's a really nice town.Famous for its gingerbread too.Cheap to stay there,also the food and drink.You can do river boat trips on the Wisla.Hoping to do the GP there myself this year(if you can get a ticket)as the Ekstraliga Final is on the Sunday after GP.

You could entertain kids in Prague for a couple of days. Boat/pedlo's on the river, lots of activity on the bridge (get pics drawn them etc) and around the main square with horse and carriage rides, loads of small shops selling stuff they can waste your money on, funicular railway with a decent sized tower to climb up on Petrin Hill (fantastic views - recommend to anyone), even the trams and underground rides will probably entertain them for a while (and so cheap to get a 3/5/7 day pass), food's not a problem as there are something like 4 McD's and 5 KFC's and if all else fails take them to the torture museum and scare them into silence! :lol:

Prague really does have something for everyone. If the arts are your thing then hit the opera and museums. If you're an alcoholic hit the beer (even the 50p a pint stuff is better than ours :lol:). The old Jewish cemetery is meant to be well worth a visit. The crystal is a good buy if that's your thing. Lots of good restaurants as well as the fast food giants, but as with any city be prepared to pay a premium on the tourist trail. Oh and if you've ever wanted a suit of armour but never been sure where to shop for one I have seen one for sale in Prague! :lol:

I would also add Gothenburg as well worth a visit with the canal and harbour boat trips along with the liesberg theme park-i am also convinced that if it doesn`t rain the meeting will be superb ! Also flights are pretty cheap now that Easyjet fly from Gatwick and Ryanair from stansted.

Edited by racers and royals
  • Like 1

You could entertain kids in Prague for a couple of days. Boat/pedlo's on the river, lots of activity on the bridge (get pics drawn them etc) and around the main square with horse and carriage rides, loads of small shops selling stuff they can waste your money on, funicular railway with a decent sized tower to climb up on Petrin Hill (fantastic views - recommend to anyone), even the trams and underground rides will probably entertain them for a while (and so cheap to get a 3/5/7 day pass), food's not a problem as there are something like 4 McD's and 5 KFC's and if all else fails take them to the torture museum and scare them into silence! :lol:

Not to mention the zoo, which is the best I have ever been to, and ranked one of the top ones in the world. Last time I went it was silly cheap too.

Edited by Diesel

Gorzow this year clashes with the European Football Championships, therefore any flights to Poland around this time will be a fortune. I've heard good things about Torun, hope to go myself this year. Prague has plenty to offer besides the speedway, and still quite cheap.

If you book early enough - like NOW - you can still get cheap flights for Gorzow.

Prague really does have something for everyone. If the arts are your thing then hit the opera and museums. If you're an alcoholic hit the beer (even the 50p a pint stuff is better than ours :lol:). The old Jewish cemetery is meant to be well worth a visit. The crystal is a good buy if that's your thing. Lots of good restaurants as well as the fast food giants, but as with any city be prepared to pay a premium on the tourist trail. Oh and if you've ever wanted a suit of armour but never been sure where to shop for one I have seen one for sale in Prague! :lol:

Prague is a wonderful city and you sum it up nicely.

I sincerely don't want to put anyone off - if you're a first time visitor just watch out for the pick pockets. I spent a good hour or so in McD's watching a team of about 8 males/females plying their trade in the crowds. I know it's sounds in poor taste, but it was intriguing to watch. There wasn't a happy ending either, when the police arrived they dispersed pronto!

My personal experience was my mate and I got off the underground and went into Wenslas Square (think that's it's name). Stood best a map trying to get our bearing and a young attractive lady walked straight up to my pal and whilst talking/distracting him put her hands in his pockets. As I couldn't believe what I was seeing I was slow to react. However, noticed couple of guys watching her/us so we walked away.

Back at the same location a few hours/beers later my mate decides to go up a lane to do what you need to do after a few. I'm beginning to think "he's been away a bit" when there's a bit of shouting and then he walks out the lane looking a bit happy with himself. Whilst doing what he was doing, a local man approached him and tried to give him a hand! Unfortunately for the poor poof, my mate is 100% heterosexual, Scottish and a black belt in judo. Don't think the poof would have been approaching men up dark lanes for a while after that!

If you want great racing go to a home meeting in poland rather than a gp. same city but cheaper than on a gp date and better racing. pick ya own time/weather and vast amount of tracks to visit.

you will be amazed how fast and close the racing is.

If you want great racing go to a home meeting in poland rather than a gp. same city but cheaper than on a gp date and better racing. pick ya own time/weather and vast amount of tracks to visit.

you will be amazed how fast and close the racing is.

After the SWC in Gorzow last year we went to a Zielona Gora home match the next day- the racing was forgettable, although seeing Herbie Hancock in action was a bonus, but watching the Crowd on turns 1 and 2! Unreal!

After the SWC in Gorzow last year we went to a Zielona Gora home match the next day- the racing was forgettable, although seeing Herbie Hancock in action was a bonus, but watching the Crowd on turns 1 and 2! Unreal!

best to go say bydgosh, pick the visting team and you will get a cracking match and a fun afternoon with the fans :lol: gdanz is also lovely place to stay like wroclaw.

Prague is a wonderful city

It was, but I'm afraid it's been ruined by the proliferation of low brow tourism and rip-off prices. You can go just outside the centre and pay a quarter of the amount for the same beer. :(

And we will going there again this year again after the GP pity your not gonna be with us