British Speedway Forum
stratton

Could Mike Bast Have Been A Force In World Speedway?

Always wondered could Mike Bast have been a force in world speedway? See him at White City in 1977 and i think that year him and Penhall didnt get the practice they were promised.Did think Wimbledon were going to sign him never happened could he of mastered the big tracks and been a star outside of USA? what do people think.

Well in his own words

“It was cold, miserable, the food was bad and there was no money,” he said. “I was making 50 to 60 thousand a year in America living at the beach. So I never really rode British League. I kind of thought I was the world’s best at one time, but since I never competed in Europe on a regular basis, I never had a real shot at winning the world title.”

He was one of if not the most talented US rider of the 70s,but didn't need British speedway to make a comfortable living.Just like Egon Müller.If either or both had really got stuck in and shown dedication to really become the best rider in the world i do think Egon could have done it and quite possibly Mike Bast would have been right up there as well.Imposible to say though for sure.But like i have mentioned on another thread if the world championship hadn't been so based around British tracks back in the 60s and 70s and before then why couldn't he have been.It is another point that shows how it was not really fair on riders who didn't want to be based in GB

Well in his own words

“It was cold, miserable, the food was bad and there was no money,” he said. “I was making 50 to 60 thousand a year in America living at the beach. So I never really rode British League. I kind of thought I was the world’s best at one time, but since I never competed in Europe on a regular basis, I never had a real shot at winning the world title.”

He was one of if not the most talented US rider of the 70s,but didn't need British speedway to make a comfortable living.Just like Egon Müller.If either or both had really got stuck in and shown dedication to really become the best rider in the world i do think Egon could have done it and quite possibly Mike Bast would have been right up there as well.Imposible to say though for sure.But like i have mentioned on another thread if the world championship hadn't been so based around British tracks back in the 60s and 70s and before then why couldn't he have been.It is another point that shows how it was not really fair on riders who didn't want to be based in GB

I often thought though i dont know if Bast could of got around Belle vue, Sheffield Swindon Exeter Halifax .Costa mesa and technical tracks were his forte really and there were not many little tracks in England then . Eastbourne were in div 2 the littlest ,great riding style talented and Briggo and Ivan rated him always wondered if he would of been lost around hyde rd Belle vue.?

Well he rode on very big tracks in Australia with Ivan + Briggo.Who knows?But it just wasn't for him being away from California

Well he rode on very big tracks in Australia with Ivan + Briggo.Who knows?But it just wasn't for him being away from California

Autrey wasnt so well known as Bast he was my favourite american you are right Bast did ok in Australia sydney and other tracks there are massive .Shame now about the usa talent dried up Bast Gerd Riss Karl Maier and american Alan Christian are riders if full time would of done well in speedway i think world wide.

Autrey wasnt so well known as Bast he was my favourite american you are right Bast did ok in Australia sydney and other tracks there are massive .Shame now about the usa talent dried up Bast Gerd Riss Karl Maier and american Alan Christian are riders if full time would of done well in speedway i think world wide.

Bast certainly had the talent, but no he would never have made it really big time quite simply because he didn't have the hunger and desire to do it. He liked the beach lifestyle to much to give it up and spend 8 months of the year pursuing bigger and better things. It simply wasn't in his make up to do it.

Had a proper World Championship existed early in his career before he became too settled in California who knows

Your 1st paragraph was true oldace but their has been a propor world championship since 1936 so I don't understand your last paragraph!

Your 1st paragraph was true oldace but their has been a propor world championship since 1936 so I don't understand your last paragraph!

It was a little dig at others who use the same phrase against the GP. Not to be take seriously!!!!!!!

I think the phrase "proper World Championship" is in reference to the likes of Parsloe refusing to acknowledge the GP series as a"proper" WC due to their perception of it as "unfair" and not openn to all riders.

Bast didn't get a proper crack at the old WC due to American riders being given no places in the old WC while he was at his peak, and only very limited sports (1 or 2 from the US final) in his later years, hence to use the same logic, the WC in this period was not a "proper" world championship.

Bast certainly had the talent, but no he would never have made it really big time quite simply because he didn't have the hunger and desire to do it. He liked the beach lifestyle to much to give it up and spend 8 months of the year pursuing bigger and better things. It simply wasn't in his make up to do it.

Had a proper World Championship existed early in his career before he became too settled in California who knows

What bigger and better things when he was earning 60,000 dollars a season in the USA? That was really big money in the 1970s. At today's rates that's £40,000 - what was it worth in real terms 40 years ago?

Basically, the original world championship was designed to be a British dominated event. I remember all the kerfuffle when it was suggested that European countries could hold their own qualifying rounds rather than their riders qualify by competing in the UK.

And the further row when some British riders then had to start going to European tracks for their qualifying rounds.

Like it or lump it the GP system is the best - all motorsports have similar competitions - its only speedway that baulks at the system.

As for Mike Bast - yes under the GP system if operating in the 1970s I believe he would have been a world champion.

Edited by speedyguy

name='oldace' timestamp='1326837399' post='2069618']

It was a little dig at others who use the same phrase against the GP. Not to be take seriously!!!!!!!

Sorry not good at spotting sarcasm in my old age!

Mike Bast certainly could have developed into a world class performer had he chose to race in England but it would never have happened by staying in the USA where he became a tiny track clone and flying to Europe for World championship meetings!

I think the phrase "proper World Championship" is in reference to the likes of Parsloe refusing to acknowledge the GP series as a"proper" WC due to their perception of it as "unfair" and not openn to all riders.

Bast didn't get a proper crack at the old WC due to American riders being given no places in the old WC while he was at his peak, and only very limited sports (1 or 2 from the US final) in his later years, hence to use the same logic, the WC in this period was not a "proper" world championship.

What year was it that Bast would have got his first chance, 1975? not sure but as you say he was already operating at his peak by then. In truth though I dont think he was in the mind set of Penhall for instance in being prepared to give up the big bucks and nice lifestyle chasing a dream of being World Champion.

The sport was very slow to latch onto the fact that a World Championship shouldnt be confined to British or British based riders. It took until well into the seventies before this happened

What year was it that Bast would have got his first chance, 1975? not sure but as you say he was already operating at his peak by then. In truth though I dont think he was in the mind set of Penhall for instance in being prepared to give up the big bucks and nice lifestyle chasing a dream of being World Champion.

The sport was very slow to latch onto the fact that a World Championship shouldnt be confined to British or British based riders. It took until well into the seventies before this happened

Didnt Autrey and Woods have real problems Autrey exspecially in 79 i think he was banned? and 78 and 79 he had a great chance of the w.c.Woods who was doing well at Newport upped and went back home.I never really understood why there were problems.

Didnt Autrey and Woods have real problems Autrey exspecially in 79 i think he was banned? and 78 and 79 he had a great chance of the w.c.Woods who was doing well at Newport upped and went back home.I never really understood why there were problems.

Autrey had problems with the AMA in the late seventies, largely over how they ran their events to decide their 1 or 2 qualifiers from the American Final. Just 2 in an era that had Penhall, Autrey, Kelly Moran, Mike Bast, Bobby Schwartz etc. Prior to this though Americans had no means of qualifying for the world final unless they raced here. The World Championship up to the seventies was very much a closed shop, entry only allowed if you raced here, the BSPA took that even into the eighties denying PC entry in 1981 when he was the top BL performer the year before.

Fortunately the modern GP system allows a rider the opportunity to try and qualify wherever he is from and wherever he plies his trade

As for Mike Bast - yes under the GP system if operating in the 1970s I believe he would have been a world champion.

surprised to read that - hardly any evidence to suggest that wouldve been at all likely