British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
21st century heathen

If Only 8 N.l. Teams Come To Tapes In 2012

If only 8 NL teams come to tapes in 2012  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Should every team be forced to sign a number 8?

• Yes, at least he may get a few opportunites.
    • No, he probably won't get a ride anyway.
    • I don't think clubs should be FORCED to sign a number 8.
    • Clubs should sign a number 8 regardless of the number of teams in the league.
  2. 2. Should there be two home and two away league meetings?

• Yes, the extra meetings would be more meaningful that challenge/fixture-fillers.
    • No, there could be too many fixtures for clubs that track-share.
    • Yes (other reason).
    • No (other reason).
  3. 3. Given the greater impact on lower order riders should a second reserves only race be introduced?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • This should be done regardless of the number of teams in the league.

8 is a little low. 10 would be good, 12 would be ideal from my point of view.

However, on the plus side, 8 is a good number to work with.

I assume all 8 teams will be in the KOC this year?

Could have 2 groups of 4s, as some sort of regional competition?

Or maybe as some sort of 4s qualification.

I also think it should be mandatory that each club holds some sort of individual for NL riders only at some point during the year.

I just hope we dont go down the road of riding against SOME teams twice, that is absolutely farcicle, and a completely stupid idea either ride against ALL teams twice or dont bother.

Far better to arrange An NL Shield mini league for the Top 4, and a NL Trophy mini League for the bottom four, that will give everyone 3 extra meetings.

Also 8 Teams, means there can Be an NL Junior Championship, to be raced for, by the two reserves of each Team.

With only the 8 teams we currently have:

7 home/7 away league meetings.

Any tracks wanting to can enter an NL trophy competition. Let's assume that's only the stand alone clubs, thats 5. 4 more Home and away for those teams. 2 legged final for the top 2.

Qualifying round robin for the 4's. North and South(Ish) groups. Group 1: Buxton, Dudley, Scunny and Stoke. Group 2: Rye, IoW, Mildenhall and KL. 3 more home meetings each. Final to be held at any track (preferably Stoke :D )

KoC for all teams.

A track sharing club could have as few as 9 meetings, or as many as 11.

The stand alone clubs would have a minimum of 13. Potentially 16. That's without challenge meetings etc.

I would also propose a staggered system to the British Championships, involving all NL riders who want to ride in it (Assume everyone. So that's 56 (7 x 8) Would need another 8 to make 4 rounds of 16. Those meetings to be held on NL only tracks. Top 8 from each round go into the next stage against the 31 British PL riders (Would need an extra rider, so either top 9th place finisher or a race off) Given virtually equal numbers, that means 8 PL and 8 NL riders in each meeting (4 meetings of 16). 11 EL Brits, so 21 needed from the 4 PL rounds. top 5 from each and best 6th place. 2 Semi's and a final.

I know that seemed long winded, apologies.

All good ideas by the posters so far - better to have a variety of competition (well alright I know the same teams but different types of events!) than to all race each other multiple times in the League.. Sad though that down to eight... There COULD yet be TWO teams from the same area of Kent though!!

Home and away league fixtures, the KOC and the Fours is enough at this level. Each year the play off qualifying 'cut off' date has passed with the league fixtures not being completed. Also, each team will hopefully have a number of riders doubling up in the extremely busy Premier League.

Try telling the riders thats enough meetings you wont find one agreeing with you..And the stupid cut off date is to early any way..We need more meetings full stop...

Things might be looking better for 2013/ later this season.

Sittingbourne are marking the track out and there has been some more good news about the track in Cornwall (just had a text that there do not seem to be any problems with the noise issue).

Add in the possibility of Weymouth and Bristol................. :t:

As most people seem to be I'm also against riding against some teams twice, it simply doesn't make the league fair.

If we assume, for the time being at least, that it will be an 8 team league then that is ideal for the KOC, but that would mean 'forcing' scunny & KL to enter. Though as others have mentioned, the best idea would be to create a trophy competition for the stand-alone sides because it allows us a varied, increased fixture list whilst not creating a head-ache for the PL's second teams. Personally I think this should happen regardless of the number of teams competing but this year it's even more important. Btw I'd probably go with Vog's idea of a 2 legged final.

As to the fours, NLRC & pairs, they could be run over 2 legs each meaning each of the 5 stand-alone teams get a major event whilst Rye can still hold the NLRC. More meaningful meetings for the riders whilst only setting back each club 1 nights racing.