British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
villiers210

Concern For The Future Of The National League

Is there anybody else, who like me, has a genuine concern now for the future of the National League? 2010 saw 12 teams taking part in the competition, last year there was 10, and this year there is just 8. Alarm bells are starting to ring now, and although I have no idea what the answer is, something just had to be done, and be done soon, if it is to survive.

Once again, over the winter, there have been rumblings about new clubs taking part - Sittingbourne, Exeter and Ellesmere Port to name just 3, but all this has come to nothing. I understand only too well the difficulties in getting a speedway team up and running on their own track, but if we want to see this fabulous league continue, then we are now at the stage where we should be putting our efforts together collectively for the start of the 2013 season. Its far too easy to forget the problem until the next season is over - its too late then.

I would like to see some kind of "commitee" (I hate using that word) set up to attempt to adrress the problems we now face, with nobodys individual interest at heart - but the interest of the National Legue as a whole. We must increase the size of our league as a matter of urgency. We are now in the stupid position where there are so few teams in the league, that there has been another league set up with some of the clubs taking part, apart from the cup matches etc etc. Half of the teams in this years league will reach the play offs. Thats crazy.

While I would suggest that the whole of British Speedway is an a mess right now (and has been for some time) the National League was set up with the main intention of developing new young talent who could then progress through the system. While it has not been used properly, we are now also seeing it crumbling away before our eyes and what answer do they come up with? - give the fewer teams more matches. That answer may keep the fans happy to some extent, but it is like putting a sticking plaster over a gaping wound.

On a personal note, I am a Dudley supporter who has been waiting for years without any luck to find our own ground to host what would undoubtedly be a well supported team. It seems that at long last, there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel on this score, but If we ever had to fold again because of the collapse of the league, I dread to think what chance we would ever have of returning. I have been a supporter of this fabulous sport now for 50 years. 2010 was the first time I saw NL racing - and I love it.

We are all supporters in this NL and its now time that those who run it take a long hard look at the problems that we face. The NL (if used properly) holds the key to the future of British Speedway. Of that there is no doubt. At this moment in time, we find ourselves in a very precarious position and the message should be sent loud and clear "Use it, or lose it".

• Like 1

Is there anybody else, who like me, has a genuine concern now for the future of the National League? 2010 saw 12 teams taking part in the competition, last year there was 10, and this year there is just 8. Alarm bells are starting to ring now, and although I have no idea what the answer is, something just had to be done, and be done soon, if it is to survive.

Once again, over the winter, there have been rumblings about new clubs taking part - Sittingbourne, Exeter and Ellesmere Port to name just 3, but all this has come to nothing. I understand only too well the difficulties in getting a speedway team up and running on their own track, but if we want to see this fabulous league continue, then we are now at the stage where we should be putting our efforts together collectively for the start of the 2013 season. Its far too easy to forget the problem until the next season is over - its too late then.

I would like to see some kind of "commitee" (I hate using that word) set up to attempt to adrress the problems we now face, with nobodys individual interest at heart - but the interest of the National Legue as a whole. We must increase the size of our league as a matter of urgency. We are now in the stupid position where there are so few teams in the league, that there has been another league set up with some of the clubs taking part, apart from the cup matches etc etc. Half of the teams in this years league will reach the play offs. Thats crazy.

While I would suggest that the whole of British Speedway is an a mess right now (and has been for some time) the National League was set up with the main intention of developing new young talent who could then progress through the system. While it has not been used properly, we are now also seeing it crumbling away before our eyes and what answer do they come up with? - give the fewer teams more matches. That answer may keep the fans happy to some extent, but it is like putting a sticking plaster over a gaping wound.

On a personal note, I am a Dudley supporter who has been waiting for years without any luck to find our own ground to host what would undoubtedly be a well supported team. It seems that at long last, there is a glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel on this score, but If we ever had to fold again because of the collapse of the league, I dread to think what chance we would ever have of returning. I have been a supporter of this fabulous sport now for 50 years. 2010 was the first time I saw NL racing - and I love it.

We are all supporters in this NL and its now time that those who run it take a long hard look at the problems that we face. The NL (if used properly) holds the key to the future of British Speedway. Of that there is no doubt. At this moment in time, we find ourselves in a very precarious position and the message should be sent loud and clear "Use it, or lose it".

Certainly a post from the heart of a very passionate SPEEDWAY supporter which should bring lots of responses, some will be cynical, but there should be a lot of positive support for your comments. Of course it is not only the league's credibility that is affected by the reduced number of teams but a drop of 4 teams in 2 years means 28 less places for riders not only from Britain but also the Commonwealth(with restrictions).

One can dream and think that at the BSPA AGM before Christmas to which NL promoters are not invited, one of the agenda items would be how the BSPA can take the sport forward in this decade and increase the number of tracks running in all leagues. People will obviously say that we have been in this position before in the NL, and yes we have, but a decline in the sports' grass roots should not be brushed over lightly.

What is the answer - leave it in the hands of the BSPA and hope that they have it in hand?

pcnorwood who I don't know and I haven't any idea about his personal credibility, talked about opening 4 new tracks around the country, an idea which was immediately laughed out of court but whilst the Government and relevent sports authorities see speedway as a totally professional sport, I don't think the sport will ever get access to land and funds to develop the sport. As an observation, there seems to be a lot of money, or used to be, swilling around sports like football, cricket, and rugby and it doesn't all come from the ruling bodies.

Denmark has a lot of tracks, possibly more than Britain, for a population significantly smaller than ours and I think they are run on a club type basis but I don't know how the professional teams run out of them and what level of funding they get but the tracks do seem to attract a lot of sponsorship. Is that because they are classed as "clubs" rather than businesses? Perhaps someone in Denmark or who has experience of the set up in Denmark could let us know their secret.

I am slightly involved with trying to get Long Eaton going again so there are efforts going on all round the country. You name three but added to that are Halifax, Bodmin, Bristol to name three more. I know that you hate the word committee but what about kicking off a forum/meeting with interested parties?

Edited by Great Central
  • Like 3

Excellent post and I could not agree more.

Look at the young riders without a team spot, there are a number of under 21 riders with one or two years experience who are now without teams and you have a number of 15 and 16 year olds who have come through the under 15 and under 16 championship who cannot even get a start in the NL.

I know full well what it takes to run a NL side and yes the fans want a winning team but you also need variation of teams to race against and young exciting riders coming through to excite the fans.

The Midlands league is filling a gap and is a very worthwhile exercise which I wholeheartedly support but we are reducing the racing experience of of our young riders. If you look at some of the 16 year olds in Midlands League squads for the 2012 season they should be National League reserves.

It's such a shame that Sittingbourne, Bodmin and Exeter are not ready but will they ever be?

It's even more of a shame, although understandable from a business perspective that Newport couldn't continue and Lakeside decided not to run an NL team having looked into it.

You are spot on that the BSPA should not wait until the end of each season to sort this out.

Let's see how serious the BSPA are about the NL and the future of young British riders coming through.

I send out an open offer to Mr Peter Morrish the BSPA and the promoters to facilitate, at my own time and cost, a meeting in Rugby to discuss over the coming months a blueprint for 2013 and beyond.

As a Programme Director with over 25 years experience in facilitating such meetings I am offering my time and as I am no longer directly involved with any club there is no conflict of interest.

Regards

Neil Day

Edited with apologies to Mr Morrish for spelling his name wrong earlier.

Edited by Nikko
  • Like 2

Actually, I am not so pessimistic.

Huge crowds at Dudley, the spectacular rejuventaion of Mildenhall, the introduction of NL speedway at Isle of Wight and Stoke and the continuing commitment to the third tier at Scunthorpe, Rye House and King's Lynn are all positve signs.

We are told that Sittingbourne, Bristol & Cornwall will all be NL. One has planning permission and is starting to build a track, the other two are in the stage of obtaining that planning permission (indeed, I am reliably informed that Cornwall looks very good indeed). Tim Helm has confirmed that there is interest in reopening Weymouth, and there must be at least a possibility that all 4 will come to the tapes in 2013 (I am further advised that Cornwall may even be racing this season).

Most of the NL tracks that have closed over the last few years have either been double up teamclubs that coufd not afford to run two teams (Newport, Belle Vue, Redcar, Edinburgh) teams that have been promoted (Plymouth) or those who have lost the use of their stadiums for one reason or another (Oxford, Wimbledon, Weymouth). Its not financial losses as such that forced closure (as an example, the Newport NL side lost far less than its PL equivalent).

While I greatly regret the loss of teams and in particular the loss of places for young riders, do not believe that sufficient care and attention is paid to the NL and would be the first to admit that everything is not perfect, in some ways the future of the NL is far brighter than either the EL or the PL.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1

I should have also said, that while I applaud the efforts of the likes of Sunthorpe and Newport (of course it is a help), it is not the total answer to our prayers. If the authorities want to see British speedway back where it was, much much more has to be done. They should consider reverting back to 13 heat meetings in all leagues, and reintroducing second halves again (to get around the problems with curfews). I know that there are those who will consider this to be a backward step, but you cant have your cake and eat it. Youngsters will then get more rides and not have so far to travel to get a ride. Have you noticed that the decline of British talent and the abandonment of second halves started at roughly the same time? I am not for one minute saying that it is the reason, but I genuinely believe that it is a contributing factor. Where can a younster learn the trade these days? Give them the opportunity back!!!

Again, I urge evryone involved in NL speedway - the BSPA, promoters, managers, riders and supportes alike to get involved NOW to make 2013 a better season for everybody. I am really looking forward to 2012, but it could have been so much better.

Where as I appreciate your passion I have a question. If Dudley were in the PL would you have this passion for the NL?. Unfortunatley, all to many answer this question with NO. I suspect that many teams, you mention, are reluctant to put there big toe in the water let alone swim. There just isn't the support for the league i'm affraid apart from Dudley. The people who pay their money want to see the stars and who can blame them?. I suspect the only way the support for the NL would incease would be to make it free entry and then you are getting into the realms of the chicken and the egg or catch 22. I have to support the PL because the only local team is a PL team and I have to say the only heat I all to often enjoy and look forward to is Ht 2. More often that not its 4 british lads giving their all in a difficult league.

The existing tracks problem is of course money..Few run National League at a profit there are some excellent exceptions of course. Heathens,,Mildy .. But in general the fans support for this league is not what it deserves..and without one or two of the prospective new tracks comeing to fruitition in 2013 and no further loss of exsisting tracks,the future does indeed look bleak.. for not just this league, but Speedway in general,as there will be a knock on effect ..We can only hope that this season is a one off,,and the new teams will come in next year....Support it or lose it springs to mind....

• Like 1

Let's see how serious the BSPA are about the NL and the future of young British riders coming through.

I send out an open offer to Mr Peter Morris, the BSPA and the promoters to facilitate, at my own time and cost, a meeting in Rugby to discuss over the coming months a blueprint for 2013 and beyond.

As a Programme Director with over 25 years experience in facilitating such meetings I am offering my time and as I am no longer directly involved with any club there is no conflict of interest.

Neil - I genuinely and whole heartedly wish you every success with this - its about time that somebody stood up and pointed out that we have a problem thats not going to go away. Keep us up to date please with any news - whether it be good or bad.

Actually, I am not so pessimistic.

Huge crowds at Dudley, the spectacular rejuventaion of Mildenhall, the introduction of NL speedway at Isle of Wight and Stoke and the continuing commitment to the third tier at Scunthorpe, Rye House and King's Lynn are all positve signs.

Yes they are good signs, but what is really concerning me is because of the lack of teams in the league this year and the result of that is we have damn good prospects who cannot find a team place. Not only that - they often have to travel hundreds of miles to get a practice ride in.That is a scandal of monumental proportions, and if it isnt addressed the future looks bleak.

• Like 1

The existing tracks problem is of course money..Few run National League at a profit there are some excellent exceptions of course. Heathens,,Mildy .. But in general the fans support for this league is not what it deserves..and without one or two of the prospective new tracks comeing to fruitition in 2013 and no further loss of exsisting tracks,the future does indeed look bleak.. for not just this league, but Speedway in general,as there will be a knock on effect ..We can only hope that this season is a one off,,and the new teams will come in next year....Support it or lose it springs to mind....

This thread is going nowhere in this section I'm affraid. A lot of supporters don't even bother with it. I suggest it should be moved to General Discussion but as t has NL in the title Phil wont like it.

Where as I appreciate your passion I have a question. If Dudley were in the PL would you have this passion for the NL?. Unfortunatley, all to many answer this question with NO. I suspect that many teams, you mention, are reluctant to put there big toe in the water let alone swim. There just isn't the support for the league i'm affraid apart from Dudley. The people who pay their money want to see the stars and who can blame them?. I suspect the only way the support for the NL would incease would be to make it free entry and then you are getting into the realms of the chicken and the egg or catch 22. I have to support the PL because the only local team is a PL team and I have to say the only heat I all to often enjoy and look forward to is Ht 2. More often that not its 4 british lads giving their all in a difficult league.

Because I support Dudley, you seem to have jumped to the conclusion that if and when Dudley move on from the NL, then I will abandon all interest in the NL. You could NOT be more wrong. You seem to have not read where I said "I have been a supporter of this fabulous sport now for 50 years. 2010 was the first time I saw NL racing - and I love it."

If Dudley ever went PL, I would hope that they took NL onboard as well, and if that was not possible, apart from supporting my life long team, I would also support a NL side. And - I am not on my own here, many Dudley supporters have said exactly the same thing.

Edited by villiers210

Because I support Dudley, you seem to have jumped to the conclusion that if and when Dudley move on from the NL, then I will abandon all interest in the NL. You could NOT be more wrong. You seem to have not read where I said "I have been a supporter of this fabulous sport now for 50 years. 2010 was the first time I saw NL racing - and I love it."

If Dudley ever went PL, I would hope that they took NL onboard as well, and if that was not possible, apart from supporting my life long team, I would also support a NL side. And - I am not on my own here, many Dudley supporters have said exactly the same thing.

I didn't assume your answer I am pleased you like it. I was merely giving you another point of view by asking a question I have started supporting speedway since my involvement with the NL before I could take it or leave it more often than not leave it. Names I couldn't pronounce, riders I couldn't relate to etc etc etc. Unfortunatley we all need to get out there and promote the league, If we want our league to survivie.

We cant just leave it to the BSPA to wave a magic wand.

i think for a start drop the development or amateur tag from the title , while it might have the intentions it puts people off straight away , use the word training ,development, amateur and fans think wobblers going round at 5mph and crashing every corner , make it look professional , i know fans who just wont go to watch NL cause they think its a glorified training school,it does not matter what its intentions are it must be seen as a 3rd division, this is not the answer to all the problems but i think its a must as a starting point

• Like 5

i think for a start drop the development or amateur tag from the title , while it might have the intentions it puts people off straight away , use the word training ,development, amateur and fans think wobblers going round at 5mph and crashing every corner , make it look professional , i know fans who just wont go to watch NL cause they think its a glorified training school,it does not matter what its intentions are it must be seen as a 3rd division, this is not the answer to all the problems but i think its a must as a starting point

Very good post Dean

Nobody sees the PL as a training ground for the EL, which it is. One thing we must not do though is degrade the efforts of Amateur set ups.Although I know that is not what you meant Dean

Edited by TMW

Very good post Dean

Nobody sees the PL as a training ground for the EL, which it is. One thing we must not do though is degrade the efforts of Amateur set ups.

i just think we should make the NL as professional as possible , the reality is its a 3rd division with better racing and more unpredictability , just at a slightly slower speed ,

Certainly a post from the heart of a very passionate SPEEDWAY supporter which should bring lots of responses, some will be cynical, but there should be a lot of positive support for your comments. Of course it is not only the league's credibility that is affected by the reduced number of teams but a drop of 4 teams in 2 years means 28 less places for riders not only from Britain but also the Commonwealth(with restrictions).

One can dream and think that at the BSPA AGM before Christmas to which NL promoters are not invited, one of the agenda items would be how the BSPA can take the sport forward in this decade and increase the number of tracks running in all leagues. People will obviously say that we have been in this position before in the NL, and yes we have, but a decline in the sports' grass roots should not be brushed over lightly.

What is the answer - leave it in the hands of the BSPA and hope that they have it in hand?

pcnorwood who I don't know and I haven't any idea about his personal credibility, talked about opening 4 new tracks around the country, an idea which was immediately laughed out of court but whilst the Government and relevent sports authorities see speedway as a totally professional sport, I don't think the sport will ever get access to land and funds to develop the sport. As an observation, there seems to be a lot of money, or used to be, swilling around sports like football, cricket, and rugby and it doesn't all come from the ruling bodies.

Denmark has a lot of tracks, possibly more than Britain, for a population significantly smaller than ours and I think they are run on a club type basis but I don't know how the professional teams run out of them and what level of funding they get but the tracks do seem to attract a lot of sponsorship. Is that because they are classed as "clubs" rather than businesses? Perhaps someone in Denmark or who has experience of the set up in Denmark could let us know their secret.

I am slightly involved with trying to get Long Eaton going again so there are efforts going on all round the country. You name three but added to that are Halifax, Bodmin, Bristol to name three more. I know that you hate the word committee but what about kicking off a forum/meeting with interested parties?

The government do not recognise speedway or other motorsports as sport.