British Speedway Forum
g13webb

Which Is Best: The Old ‘one-off’ World Final Or Sgp.

ODSAL rivals the Millennium? Are you completely bonkers!

The British GP is the showpiece event of the series. A roof is essential given the huge outlay. Why Sidney do you find that so tough to grasp? Plus all the other amenities - wonderful facilities for the hugely popular VIP Methanol Club, corporate boxes, new million pound screens, etc, etc, etc.

It was interesting when the question of Wembley was raised at Cardiff two years ago during the Methanol Club lunch attended by over 300 people. When IMG's Rob Armstrong say there were no plans to move from Cardiff the room erupted in applause.

I am sure the Swedish GP will move to Stockholm and a stadium with a roof in the not too distant future. At present there is no alternative to Ullevi.

Vojens is a totally different kettle of fish and is not a BSI promoted event.

I keep promising myself not to continue with this debate, as it has been done to death, but hopefully I will now do just that..

Another post mentioned the roof not me Gothenburg? but you never answered is Cardiff set in stone forever?.Odsal in my mind a much better racing track than Cardiff exspecially if they really banked it up the potential is there.

It was interesting when the question of Wembley was raised at Cardiff two years ago during the Methanol Club lunch attended by over 300 people. When IMG's Rob Armstrong say there were no plans to move from Cardiff the room erupted in applause.

Yes, but it's rather preaching to the converted isn't it? Would a London GP attract more than 300 people to the Methanol Club lunch?

Sorry to 'tempt' you Phil, but you rarely seem to respond to the Olympic Stadium sub-theme.. Other than to say (obviously) that, the Startford/Bow site too has no roof... I'd imagine laying a track there would be somewhat easier than at either Cardiff or Wembley...? Do you have any feelings about the site being used for Speedway..?

Well let's ask the question directly... ;)

It's known that IMG were interested in running the Olympic Stadium after the Olympics. If they'd been successful rather than losing a fortune on the venture, were there any plans (tentative or otherwise) to move the British GP there?

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

Yes, but it's rather preaching to the converted isn't it? Would a London GP attract more than 300 people to the Methanol Club lunch?

It's quite an image this isn't it, the Methanol Club lunch!! Do they eat there or just dine out on the sweet fumes!!

NEVER was very good at keeping a promise, even to myself.

OF course Cardiff isn't set in stone forever - what is? - but there is a long term contract in place and both the Welsh Assembly and the city council are strong supporters as well. It ticks all the boxes.

Humphrey: the number at the lunch was immaterial but was indicative of the of the feelings of many attending the British GP. The people there are 'converts' as far as the British GP is concerned but not necessarily to Cardiff.

To the best of my knowledge the subject of the Olympic Stadium and the British GP has never been seriously considered at IMG but I am hardly privy to everything that goes on there.

As I keep saying: neither Wembley nor the Olympic Stadium has anything (other than a London location which, unlike some posters here, I don't consider significantly advantageous) that the Millennium hasn't. But the Millennium has one thing neither Wembley or the Olympic Stadium has. Clue: four letters, first one r.

If the Millennium had nothing going for it OTHER than a roof then maybe the likes of Sidney would have a point. I have seen nothing at Wembley which would add to the occasion and I seriously doubt whether the Olympic Stadium could either.

• Like 1

NEVER was very good at keeping a promise, even to myself.

OF course Cardiff isn't set in stone forever - what is? - but there is a long term contract in place and both the Welsh Assembly and the city council are strong supporters as well. It ticks all the boxes.

Humphrey: the number at the lunch was immaterial but was indicative of the of the feelings of many attending the British GP. The people there are 'converts' as far as the British GP is concerned but not necessarily to Cardiff.

To the best of my knowledge the subject of the Olympic Stadium and the British GP has never been seriously considered at IMG but I am hardly privy to everything that goes on there.

As I keep saying: neither Wembley nor the Olympic Stadium has anything (other than a London location which, unlike some posters here, I don't consider significantly advantageous) that the Millennium hasn't. But the Millennium has one thing neither Wembley or the Olympic Stadium has. Clue: four letters, first one r.

If the Millennium had nothing going for it OTHER than a roof then maybe the likes of Sidney would have a point. I have seen nothing at Wembley which would add to the occasion and I seriously doubt whether the Olympic Stadium could either.

got to say i share this view , cardiff is a far better venue than wembley or the olympic stadium, have you been in the surrounding areas around wembley and hackney these days ,to think 40,000 fans hanging around acton doesnt fill me with joy , london is only important to the people who live there , the rest of the country are happy for cardiff or any other stadium for that matter , why not have it indoors at the nec or other venues around the country , its a tempory track anyway so laying the track is not an issue

got to say i share this view , cardiff is a far better venue than wembley or the olympic stadium, have you been in the surrounding areas around wembley and hackney these days ,to think 40,000 fans hanging around acton doesnt fill me with joy , london is only important to the people who live there , the rest of the country are happy for cardiff or any other stadium for that matter , why not have it indoors at the nec or other venues around the country , its a tempory track anyway so laying the track is not an issue

The Dean Machine would a London venue get a better gate? ten thousand more maybe if not more the curiosity factor of going back to the capital could be massive.Do i think having a gp really benefits the Elite League i would say no.

The Dean Machine would a London venue get a better gate? ten thousand more maybe if not more the curiosity factor of going back to the capital could be massive.Do i think having a gp really benefits the Elite League i would say no.

i dont think it would get a better gate , it would put me off for a start ,i not haviing a go at this new manchester speedway stadium either but looking at the plans ive seen better stadiums used for training by football teams , it hardly looks state of the art and is open to the elements for a start of which manchester is well known for

Hmm, well put it this way, they're choosing to stage the "greatest sporting show on earth" at the Olympic Stadium - so there's clearly not the concerns about the surrounding area that you expresss!!

Comments about what it's like in Hackney generally aren't especially relevant, as the Olympic Stadium's not in that area! In truth the old Hackney Wick stadium was only barely in Hackney itself - it was a quiet backwater some distance away from not so great areas like Mare St., Dalston etc. Nearer indeed to Bow and Stratford. Bow and Hackney Wick are now very trendy - the biggest 'Arts Quarter' in Europe. Stratford has been transformed - you might know the new Stratford City Shopping Centre managed by the Westfield company and full of eateries and bars as well as shops. And a large number of hotels in the area now - nearly all of which built in the last few years.

All indeed due to the Olympics. So to suggest the stadium stands in some derelict and nasty East End location, swathed in smog and frequented by descendants of Jack The Ripper and the b@stard sons of Ronnie & Reghgie couldn't really be further from the truth!!!

The truth is that soon a massive stadium literally ideal for staging Speedway's biggest events will be sitting there virtually on the footprint of a former long-standing Speedway track and with owners literally desperate for it to have a variety of uses; and so for our sport to completely blank out even the prospect of using it would be a crime...

Hmm, well put it this way, they're choosing to stage the "greatest sporting show on earth" at the Olympic Stadium - so there's clearly not the concerns about the surrounding area that you expresss!!

Comments about what it's like in Hackney generally aren't especially relevant, as the Olympic Stadium's not in that area! In truth the old Hackney Wick stadium was only barely in Hackney itself - it was a quiet backwater some distance away from not so great areas like Mare St., Dalston etc. Nearer indeed to Bow and Stratford. Bow and Hackney Wick are now very trendy - the biggest 'Arts Quarter' in Europe. Stratford has been transformed - you might know the new Stratford City Shopping Centre managed by the Westfield company and full of eateries and bars as well as shops. And a large number of hotels in the area now - nearly all of which built in the last few years.

All indeed due to the Olympics. So to suggest the stadium stands in some derelict and nasty East End location, swathed in smog and frequented by descendants of Jack The Ripper and the b@stard sons of Ronnie & Reghgie couldn't really be further from the truth!!!

The truth is that soon a massive stadium literally ideal for staging Speedway's biggest events will be sitting there virtually on the footprint of a former long-standing Speedway track and with owners literally desperate for it to have a variety of uses; and so for our sport to completely blank out even the prospect of using it would be a crime...

is the olympic stadium in the LEZ charge , if so that rules out any fan who owns a diesel car or van over 2ton and 10 years old from attending ,unless they want to pay £200 a day

Edited by THE DEAN MACHINE

Cardiff has been great and will carry on being great, but there are other options.Myself would i rather go to Lodon for the weekend orCardiff up to the individual i suppose.i am convinced London would get a better gate .

BUT it doesn't have ... oh, why bother!

It also doesn't have an 850K sweetener either, which I suspect is not an insignificant reason the GP is in Cardiff...

Personally I think Cardiff is the ideal venue for the British Grand Prix. The MOST important factor as stressed by Philip Rising is the Roof. You are not going to get a rained off Meeting. The Stadium is nice and handy for the City Centre. There seem (I don't drink) to be plenty of local Hostelries around and the people a very welcoming.

I'm sorry but I just don't see London competing against Cardiff at any level. Perhaps the Olympic Stadium could be used to bring League Speedway back to London itself but as THE main GP Centre - I don't think so.............................

Edited by The White Knight

My point is I am perfectly happy with the Cardiff GP but have a second UK Gp in London. It seems odd that two GP's in this country would be a bigger gate than any two in any other country even Poland. If the GP's were a couple of months apart the London GP would not affect the Cardiff gate and then everybody would be happy

Personally I think Cardiff is the ideal venue for the British Grand Prix. The MOST important factor as stressed by Philip Rising is the Roof. You are not going to get a rained off Meeting. The Stadium is nice and handy for the City Centre. There seem (I don't drink) to be plenty of local Hostelries around and the people a very welcoming.

I'm sorry but I just don't see London competing against Cardiff at any level. Perhaps the Olympic Stadium could be used to bring League Speedway back to London itself but as THE main GP Centre - I don't think so.............................

I think if London got the chance i dont see what Cardiff has in ubundance that London dosent have.I am not saying it has to be the gp maybe a individual meeting league racing cannot see maybe Wimbledon premier league?