British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Daniel Smith

Anglian Youth League

Congratulations too King's Lynn, Peterborough, Rye House, Mildenhall, Ipswich & Lakeside in introducing this league.

All matches will take part after the main teams apart from Lakeside which will be before all Lakeside meetings. They will consist of 6 heat 4 rider teams.

Fantastic, bring on the future

Good idea but where are the riders going to come from?

Ipswich haven't run a proper 2nd half for anumber of season now, only having an after meeting practise session for whoever turns up and normally most of these are often a couple of under 15's, and foriegn guys who'd probably be ineligible for such a League!

I hope it goes well but unless we can find more youngsters interested enough and/or able to have a go then such a League may struggle although such a League may indeed do exactly that!

Edited by 25yearfan

Great to see this in the South.

A learning League for riders before they move into the National League. :t:

This is fantastic news what is most encouraging is that Jon Cook has iniated this league which means promoters are realising that these kids are the riders of tomorrow, so well done to all involved and lets see more of these leagues in the rest of the country.

The main thing is to ensure that teams are equally balanced. What points limitations will be placed on participating clubs?

Edited by speedyguy

This League has to be taken seriously with a proper piece in programmes for people to fill out and results, averages and League tables published in the speedway star.

It also has to be taken seriously in terms of team make ups. NL riders with starting averages of 6 or over should be excluded and teams should only include 2 NL riders per meeting. Riders should be signed to a particular team and shouldn't be able to ride for a number of teams as this would make this farcical.

One aspect of team line ups that shouldn't be taken to seriously is the strength. Obviously if a club has a glut of riders they are going to use the best of the lot but Tactical substitutions shouldn't be used so riders will get their full quota of rides. If theirs a reason for one of the top 3 riders to not take rides then both the lowest two averaged riders in the team can take one extra ride each!

The junior Leagues of the late 70's up until 1992 worked well but by then their had been a definate need for a 3rd Division which finally came about in 1994. In current times, the existing NL is needed but theirs also a need for a level below it as the NL has become very competitive. The Midlands League and Northern Leagues have filled the gaps inthese areas and hopefully this new Anglian League will do the same!

May have been an assumption by me but I've took this league as an under 16 with no NL team place hence being a Junior League. Would be no benefit if NL riders are accepted?????

May have been an assumption by me but I've took this league as an under 16 with no NL team place hence being a Junior League. Would be no benefit if NL riders are accepted?????

I don't think it would do any harm having 1 NL rider in the team. A young reserve, for example guys like Josh Bates, Max Clegg, Daniel Phillips, etc. Would be a good way for the non-NL riders to see how close they are to being NL standard.

• Like 1

I would say up to a 6 point NL average is way to high and also 2 NL riders out of 4 is too many.

For me this league is for young riders to gain experience in team racing and to to get ready for NL teams.

Personally I have no problem with 1 NL reserve per team but no more and no riders who have ridden at NL heat leader or above.

If you look at some of the reserves this season they are still very inexperienced and this league would help them. It will also give some riders without a team spot the chance to show what they can do.

Rules are going to have to agreed and stuck to. If they are then this can only be a good thing.

• Like 1

And putting it in this section is only going to compound the problem, I would say. It is a Junior (inexperienced) league not a youth (age related) league. I imagine there wil be some MX riders making the switch competeing and they may not be 16. I'm of the understanding that it will follow the rules of the MDL & NJL in previous seasons with some ammendements. In the past it has been 1 NL rider in for each team but on occasions it has been difficult to get Youngsters with school commitments etc.... So another NL rider has filled the gap but I believe this has been tightened this season. The BSPA website has given this league it's on section on the BSPA site which is excellent news.

Edited by TMW

Probably not the answer you want to hear, but no.

Riders must be 15 years old and it is actually called Anglian Junior League, never has Youth been mentioned.

It has been mis posted in this section and everyone should look at the BSPA website for conformation.

Great work by all concerned to get official recognition for their efforts.

is there any rules put out for this league racing as of yet and how do you go about getting a team spot? for example age limits, and standard of rider, bike spec etc thank you in advance

Congratulations too King's Lynn, Peterborough, Rye House, Mildenhall, Ipswich & Lakeside in introducing this league.

All matches will take part after the main teams apart from Lakeside which will be before all Lakeside meetings. They will consist of 6 heat 4 rider teams.

Fantastic, bring on the future

Thats a really good idea , why has'nt someone thought of it before ? will the riders be just below National league level with maybe I current NL rider as a sort of mentor . the whole league a sort of stepping stone to natiional league