British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
robert72

Leicester Track Debate

So much has been said by home fans aswel as away fans over the last 12 months that it should have its on thread to debate it rather than take over match day threads even though the biggest talking points on match day threads is the non excistance of passing on a track that has one line and nearly impossible to over take unless someone makes a mistake.

So why did DH Not build the track like the one at blackbird road, after all he had a blank canvas ?

I don't understand why it has'nt been alterered in the winter, if you have poor race track you will effectively end up with a poor product and therefore a poor club.

I don't understand why it has'nt been alterered in the winter, if you have poor race track you will effectively end up with a poor product and therefore a poor club.

The track, according to those who are supposed to know these things, is 30 or so meters too big. The entry to the bends is too tight and it needs taking in. To be fair it looked fine until the fence went in, but it's clearly not right and no amount of messing around with shale will help matters to a great extent.

If we lose 50 people a week due to the lack of entertainment provided it seems that fairly simple maths would dictate that altering the track would be cost effective in the long term, and if figures I have been given are even half right, less than a season.

It is a fact that Blackbird Road can be viewed with tinted specs, but up until 1980 the racing was top drawer, after that it could be horribly slick at times - but the shape was good. My view is that the track staff at BP are trying to give grip out wide and on the exits but the shape isn't allowing it to be used.

Of course it's very easy to sit back and say what should be done, it's not our money. DH has already put a lot into BP and to change the track will mean more input, but I fear for the future of any supplier, be it goods or entertainment, that fails to adapt to the requirements of the customers who hand over the cash.

• Like 1

Don't know whether I dare comment or not because anything negative about the Leicester track is not viewed very favourably by the natives. :neutral: Personally I think the damage has already been done now and it's very hard to get people to return once they've stopped going because of poor racing. There was a chance during the Winter to put things right but it was not used and Glyn Taylor got the chop for saying on here that the track was going to be altered when obviously nothing was going to be done. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how the season progresses to find out if Mr Hemsley is right or not.

The track, according to those who are supposed to know these things, is 30 or so meters too big. The entry to the bends is too tight and it needs taking in. To be fair it looked fine until the fence went in, but it's clearly not right and no amount of messing around with shale will help matters to a great extent.

If we lose 50 people a week due to the lack of entertainment provided it seems that fairly simple maths would dictate that altering the track would be cost effective in the long term, and if figures I have been given are even half right, less than a season.

It is a fact that Blackbird Road can be viewed with tinted specs, but up until 1980 the racing was top drawer, after that it could be horribly slick at times - but the shape was good. My view is that the track staff at BP are trying to give grip out wide and on the exits but the shape isn't allowing it to be used.

Of course it's very easy to sit back and say what should be done, it's not our money. DH has already put a lot into BP and to change the track will mean more input, but I fear for the future of any supplier, be it goods or entertainment, that fails to adapt to the requirements of the customers who hand over the cash.

The track isn't too big, its just the wrong shape for its size. The showground is a bigger track, but its shape makes for good racing, the same as polish tracks. Basically the entrance and exits to the corners need taking in so there is more room. And because a track is a metre from the curb, this will then make the track smaller around the inside and provide more room to race. Once that happens the track will be fine. They could then add a bit more clay to the track mix to give some extra bite.

Maybe before next season you should write to DH and say you will buy season tickets if the track work is done. It will be another investment from him so maybe he would be more willing to do it if he can see he will be getting a return.

Edited by Baldyman

So why did DH Not build the track like the one at blackbird road, after all he had a blank canvas ?

You could not get a track like Blackbird in the space allocated for the stadium!!

You could not get a track like Blackbird in the space allocated for the stadium!!

I don't think he meant to scale, more the shape of Blackbird Road and the space into and out of the turns. I remember when Chumpman Jnr was involved he was all for building something akin to Scunthorpe size.

Considering it was a purpose built stadium and track, if it has a real problem with shape surely it wont be too big a job to alter the shape .Lost fans are not easily tempted back, the potential is there at Liecester it would be a shame if it was lost once again for these reasons.Judging by the number of critics that are HOME fans something is not right IMO

when i went there with the rebels the track looked promising but as the thread states there was just no racing lines on it.

The track isn't too big, its just the wrong shape for its size. The showground is a bigger track, but its shape makes for good racing, the same as polish tracks. Basically the entrance and exits to the corners need taking in so there is more room. And because a track is a metre from the curb, this will then make the track smaller around the inside and provide more room to race. Once that happens the track will be fine. They could then add a bit more clay to the track mix to give some extra bite.

Maybe before next season you should write to DH and say you will buy season tickets if the track work is done. It will be another investment from him so maybe he would be more willing to do it if he can see he will be getting a return.

I think you are dead right here and indeed that's pretty much when Glyn Taylor proposed to do. The problem is that they would have to move all the drains and that will be pricey.

Whatever the case, the track and the racing on Saturday was better than last year and for that reason alone they deserve at least another shot. I am glad I went and will go back.

Considering it was a purpose built stadium and track, if it has a real problem with shape surely it wont be too big a job to alter the shape I think there are a few issues, DH wont accept the track is wrong, the drains are close to the bends but it should be possible to move them but again it seems like DH is not interested in doing anything,if he had been it would of been in the winter.

Lost fans are not easily tempted back, the potential is there at Liecester it would be a shame if it was lost once again for these reasons. its not only home fans not wanting to return, so many away fans have said they are not returning to leicester.

Judging by the number of critics that are HOME fans something is not right IMO There is a huge amount of fans unhappy saying they wont return which is sad but i am one of those, its alot of money each week and simply not worth it.

Too many people have made the "track is cr*p" comment about Leicester Beaumont Park for it not to be true!

Changes have to be made before the Leicester speedway folds because of poor crowds!

So much has been said by home fans aswel as away fans over the last 12 months that it should have its on thread to debate it rather than take over match day threads even though the biggest talking points on match day threads is the non excistance of passing on a track that has one line and nearly impossible to over take unless someone makes a mistake.

You carry on with your little campaign

Mr Snackett wrote;

"Just seen on the official Glasgow site that the promotion are to address the supporters of the club regarding the future off Glasgow Speedway it has been well documented that they have suffered severe financial loss in the title winning season and the cost of re-shaping the track was far more expensive than first thought . The failure to sell on prominent assets (Nick Morris , Josh Grajczonek) has hindered the club despite the supporters starting loads of initiatives to raise funds through the Glasgow Speedway fighting fund this club statement does sound rather ominous with the poor crowd levels being highlighted at the start of this season as a contributory factor on the decision to announce the future off the club beyond this season is this the beginning of the end for our proud club well we shall all find out this Sunday".

Sorry but it speaks for itself

. So do it's excuse me if I don't join in. Not negative Gemini just fact

Sorry but it speaks for itself

. So do it's excuse me if I don't join in. Not negative Gemini just fact

Don't get that bit. :blink: Anyway, why are you picking me out from all the comments that have been made? I thought I'd been quite diplomatic. :lol:

Regarding Glasgow though could this be the same scenario happening at Leicester in a couple of years time? Carry on as we are and if the racing continues to be virtually non-existent even the most enthusiastic fan who has stuck with it will get fed up? Difficult situation.

I definately think the bends are too tight in relation to speed built up along the relatively long straights. I don't think maajor chnanges are required so it shouldn't be massively expensive.

I suspect the supporters may have to be patient until the club is on a sound financial footing before the changes can be funded? I think DH deserves 2-3 years support from Leicester fans considering he brought the sport back to the city after 30-years? On the flip side perhaps he should be a little more humble given that this situation should not have arisen in the first place given the blank canvas he has to work with?