British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
robert72

Leicester Track Debate

As I've mentioned before, there's more to this 'sorting out the track' thing than most of us on here know. There seems to be many factors in producing a good racing track.

Last nights Sky match, Wolverhampton against Poole, was very entertaining, I thought, with plenty of exciting, close racing. If I'm right, Monmore Green is very similar in shape to Leicesters track (I think the straights are a bit shorter) but that didn't stop the riders passing each other and providing some great racing. It had been under water the day before and the track staff had done alot of work to prepare the surface fit for racing.

It would appear to me that grip, especially around the outside, is crucial to good racing so maybe the staff at BP should be looking at ways to increase that as a step in the right direction. That might mean a different type of shale, more water, more (or less) shale, a softer base ... I don't know. Maybe they've tried all of those things. and, like Vince above, I'm also talking nonsense!

PS I did notice that they weren't using the wheel thing to grade the track at Wolves, they were using the older frame type thing. Could that make a difference?

Sorry to go off subject but I wanted to mention the actual track at Leicester :lol:

Only time I have been there was a few weeks ago and for flattrack not Speedway. I thought that the track is an unusual shape with the bends too tight for the straights (or the straights too long for the bends!) however the problem when I saw it was that the surface wasn't binding together to produce grip. This is something I have noticed elsewhere, especially with new tracks, presumably in the 'good old days' all the oil being dumped on the surface quickly stuck everything together nicely but things take a lot longer with only water doing the job. The surface appeared very 'marbly' as though it could do with more fines to pack it down, however that may well not be the case as there might have been plenty of fines packed underneath. Maybe working with the surface could produce an improvement more quickly and less expensively than changing the shape although changing the shape would be the ideal. Too much grip though and it could be a nightmare I should think so it's a very fine line.

Then again maybe they have already tried everything they can with the surface and I am talking nonsense!

Vince, a very good post from an unbiased viewpoint. You are correct that despite quite a depth of shale on the outside, it is marbly and doesn't provide the grip that you need to be able to use the banking to the full extent. It is going to take time to sort out and yes the crowds are well down on last year but the weather isn't helping there. I did hear that more shale was being purchased to improve the mix even more and I sincerely hope that Gareth can get get it right so that we can get the racing that the Leicester public deserves.

I have already been branded unapproachable you don't expect me to advertise that I have been seen consorting with your sort at Brandon. Do you?

Not nice is it when people make assumptions about your character without really knowing you and project their assumptions onto public forums , I'll teach you something now . first of all stop responding to people who post personal attacks that they think will make them popular , like the people who troll the forums trying to score points off your posts, even the most stupid of them get the message in the end ,It does take a while though with some of the real thickos , and don't get involved in threads where there are one or 2 posters who think they know everything there is to know about speedway or one particular club and don't post to be constructive but prefer to personally abuse anyone who's view conflicts with theirs . that way you'l probably enjoy using the forum for it's proper purpose , constructive open debate !!!

Not nice is it when people make assumptions about your character without really knowing you and project their assumptions onto public forums , I'll teach you something now . first of all stop responding to people who post personal attacks that they think will make them popular , like the people who troll the forums trying to score points off your posts, even the most stupid of them get the message in the end ,It does take a while though with some of the real thickos , and don't get involved in threads where there are one or 2 posters who think they know everything there is to know about speedway or one particular club and don't post to be constructive but prefer to personally abuse anyone who's view conflicts with theirs . that way you'l probably enjoy using the forum for it's proper purpose , constructive open debate !!!

Works for you Speedi. :lol:

that way you'l probably enjoy using the forum for it's proper purpose , constructive open debate !!!

You want constructive open debate? Ok............ you start then.

As I've mentioned before, there's more to this 'sorting out the track' thing than most of us on here know. There seems to be many factors in producing a good racing track.

Last nights Sky match, Wolverhampton against Poole, was very entertaining, I thought, with plenty of exciting, close racing. If I'm right, Monmore Green is very similar in shape to Leicesters track (I think the straights are a bit shorter) but that didn't stop the riders passing each other and providing some great racing. It had been under water the day before and the track staff had done alot of work to prepare the surface fit for racing.

It would appear to me that grip, especially around the outside, is crucial to good racing so maybe the staff at BP should be looking at ways to increase that as a step in the right direction. That might mean a different type of shale, more water, more (or less) shale, a softer base ... I don't know. Maybe they've tried all of those things. and, like Vince above, I'm also talking nonsense!

PS I did notice that they weren't using the wheel thing to grade the track at Wolves, they were using the older frame type thing. Could that make a difference?

its the shape that is the main problem and yes the shale they are using is not bonding in well, i am surprised that all the problems were not sorted during the mild winter months. If i was DH i would close it down for a month and reshape it before i lose anymore hardcore fans and put the club at risk.

its the shape that is the main problem and yes the shale they are using is not bonding in well, i am surprised that all the problems were not sorted during the mild winter months. If i was DH i would close it down for a month and reshape it before i lose anymore hardcore fans and put the club at risk.

Tracks have to be licensed by the powers that be and I don't imagine an inspection of a re shape half way through the season would be on the cards. I imagine they will have to wait till the close season now..Can I just say I wish DH would close the thing and re shape it then we woulddn't have to listen to permamoaning on here. I'm not bothered about the racing as I have said before but the incesant moaning is starting to get my goat to be frank

Edited by TMW
  • Like 2

you are full of bright idears how long did it take to dream that one up,close leicester speedway down for a month mid season that's got to be the most ridiculous suggestion i have ever heard,thats maybe the best way to put the club at risk .

in your view robert72 whats wrong with the track at leicester? ........................................... ah its ok i have just read your other 413 posts and i get the idear,its the shape and the shale. i think the shape and shale at leicester has started to take over your life maybe you should go and cut the grass or put some bedding plants in at home,anything if it helps taking your mind off shapes and shale.

Edited by neb
  • Like 1

You want constructive open debate? Ok............ you start then.

Theres no point Tina , I'll gladly chew the fat with you when I see you next , but I cant be bothered expressing opinions on these threads there are far too many Trolls and idiots on here who just want to argue and be abusive , just look at the post above yours , Oh and just as an aside , Poole, Eastbourne and Coventry have all changed their tracks during the season ,

Edited by speedibee

Most people who comment on here have a good idea of what's wrong with the track, the "experts" who talk to me certainly seem to know, I believe that even the Leicester management know.

But the fact remains that nothing was done during the winter that was likely to rectify the problem - so there seems little hope of it being done during the summer.

Best thing we can all do is accept the fact that what we have is what we have and just hope for better in the future.

My only future comments about the Leicester track will be made via the £15 I pay/don't pay to go/not go to BP.

• Like 2

you are full of bright idears how long did it take to dream that one up,close leicester speedway down for a month mid season that's got to be the most ridiculous suggestion i have ever heard,thats maybe the best way to put the club at risk .

in your view robert72 whats wrong with the track at leicester? ........................................... .

You dont seem the brightest spark but surely if crowds are droppng as much as they are and many say its because of the lack of racing, what would you do then carry on until it is a few happy tina,s (tmw) left who dont go for the racing and leicester close and lets not forget newport,there support went down and they sadly closed down,glasgow is struggling because there crowds have taken a big dip.

Many of us know it should of been done over the winter, but to save leicester speedways future i think it needs sorting now, i and many others want to see leicester do well and see great racing each week but this wont happen because of the current track shape,

Leicester has massive potential as its a sporting city but people wont pay and support rubbish each week.

How many people would go to a restaurant every week if the food is really crap ? Saying that I bet tmw and neb would still go as they would say its not about the food :rofl:

Why do 25,000 people go to the King Power Stadium and willingly fork out £40 - £50 every week, getting mainly absolute rubbish matches?. Same as Speedway, we need our weekly fix!!. At least I think we do, and hope that the next week we will see plenty of good exciting racing.

JohnD7244

Enjoy your speedway,

Theres no point Tina , I'll gladly chew the fat with you when I see you next , but I cant be bothered expressing opinions on these threads there are far too many Trolls and idiots on here who just want to argue and be abusive , just look at the post above yours , Oh and just as an aside , Poole, Eastbourne and Coventry have all changed their tracks during the season ,

To be fair I think Robert 72 is just mischevious and out to wind people up so I tend to ignore him. On another note why did those tracks have to change their shape mid season and why did they not do it in the close season. Is it because the Greyhound tracks had to be altered? and the fact the grehounds don't have seasons it was planned half way through the speedway season? How long did the tracks have to close to get the work completed? :rolleyes:

To be fair I think Robert 72 is just mischevious and out to wind people up so I tend to ignore him. On another note why did those tracks have to change their shape mid season and why did they not do it in the close season. Is it because the Greyhound tracks had to be altered? and the fact the grehounds don't have seasons it was planned half way through the speedway season? How long did the tracks have to close to get the work completed? :rolleyes:

I don't know about the other two, but Poole had to change their track -- about twenty years ago -- because of the age-old problem of the football club wanting a bigger pitch with permanent corners. This naturally took place in the spccer club's close season -- that is, the speedway season. Of course. As I remember, the Pirates closed down for about three weeks in May or June.

I don't know about the other two, but Poole had to change their track -- about twenty years ago -- because of the age-old problem of the football club wanting a bigger pitch with permanent corners. This naturally took place in the spccer club's close season -- that is, the speedway season. Of course. As I remember, the Pirates closed down for about three weeks in May or June.

poole did'nt close at all , neither did coventry , . I was on holiday in weymouth when pooles track was altered , they started work immediatlely after a meeting . and four days later the fire brigade flooded the newly shaped track , it was inspected and declared fit for racing the day before the next meeting one week later . and guess what just like coventry after their reshape it did.nt take 5 years to settle back in !!!

track