British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dtc

Time For A Revamp Of The Gp's?

That way there would have been some GPs where we already have a winner before the final. Genius.

Explain..

Explain..

PRESUMABLY because a rider could score 16 points and not make the final whereas it is possible to win the final and go away with 15.

PRESUMABLY because a rider could score 16 points and not make the final whereas it is possible to win the final and go away with 15.

But, as already stated, points are for the World Championship final placings ... the final determines the winner. See no problem in that and apparently nor do a lot of other people.

That way there would have been some GPs where we already have a winner before the final. Genius.

you've misunderstood impartial one's proposal Falcace - re-read his suggested point system and i'm sure you'll understand what he means.

• Like 1

Why? your reward for making the semi's is that you have already scored the points in the heats.

Surely a rider who reaches the semi's deserves at least a point when finishing 4th ...??? Otherwise he's only scored the same points as the qualifying heats being the same as riders who DIDN'T even qualify for the semi's. And should also be a deservedly earned reward for the rider finishing 4th in Final, as he's obviously ridden better than other riders to get there and then gains nowt!!

This is the only thing I see wrong with the GP scoring system

Surely a rider who reaches the semi's deserves at least a point when finishing 4th ...??? Otherwise he's only scored the same points as the qualifying heats being the same as riders who DIDN'T even qualify for the semi's. And should also be a deservedly earned reward for the rider finishing 4th in Final, as he's obviously ridden better than other riders to get there and then gains nowt!!

This is the only thing I see wrong with the GP scoring system

Yes, he's ridden better than those who didn't make it so has already scored more points. Maybe all riders who finish in the top 10 should get an extra point too, as they've worked hard to score more than the riders who finished 11-16. Top 8 is an arbitary amount, if we just had a final and no semi, only the top 4 would get extra points anyway.

What about the guy finishing last in the final? He gets no extra points for that either.

And should also be a deservedly earned reward for the rider finishing 4th in Final, as he's obviously ridden better than other riders to get there and then gains nowt!!

What about the guy finishing last in the final? He gets no extra points for that either.

I think we have ourselves an agreement.

I am now lost as to who is being sarcastic and who is being genuine with their belief that a rider who ends last in a semi or final deserves points.....

I will state categorically that I believe that last place in any race deserves no points, so the current system works for me...

Why should a rider who makes a semi final on, let's say 7 points, get a further reward over and above others that also finished on 7 points who missed out on the semi final just because of a difference of race wins, second places, etc, etc.....They already got their reward by getting a semi final place and a chance to make more points by beating other riders.. If they can't make anything better than a last out of that, why should they be given an extra point?

Similarly, anyone who made the final has already had the benefit of at least 2 extra points due to their semi final appearance....If they can't beat someone in the final, why should they get more??

• Like 1

Changes I would like to see are ......

TOP TEN QUALIFY = With the riders in the series now, the top ten are all riders capable of winning a GP and should be in the series.

GP CHALLENE = Top 3 Qualify ....... However the top 2 from the 20 heats go through with the next four in a run off for the last place

ONLY 2 NOMINATED RIDERS = There are not that many riders around that are as ood as the current top ten and if they are, they may have qualified any way. ...... At present I would say Darcy Ward is a definate should he not qualify and these nominations can also be used if a top rider misses meetings through injury. ...... World U21 Champion worth consideration

POINTS IN SEMI-FINAL = Have to agree that the top 8 in each meeting deserve a small bonus for reaching the ko stage ..... but I would go for 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 in the Semi Finals ...... 0 if excluded or fail to finish.

Perhaps TNT's handicap system should be adopted!!

Changes I would like to see are ......

TOP TEN QUALIFY = With the riders in the series now, the top ten are all riders capable of winning a GP and should be in the series.

GP CHALLENE = Top 3 Qualify ....... However the top 2 from the 20 heats go through with the next four in a run off for the last place

ONLY 2 NOMINATED RIDERS = There are not that many riders around that are as ood as the current top ten and if they are, they may have qualified any way. ...... At present I would say Darcy Ward is a definate should he not qualify and these nominations can also be used if a top rider misses meetings through injury. ...... World U21 Champion worth consideration

POINTS IN SEMI-FINAL = Have to agree that the top 8 in each meeting deserve a small bonus for reaching the ko stage ..... but I would go for 3 - 2 - 1 - 1 in the Semi Finals ...... 0 if excluded or fail to finish.

Personally i would like to se; top 5 qualifies directly to next season, 1 nominee and the rest through GP qualifiers.

Edited by Ghostwalker

Personally i would like to se; top 5 qualifies directly to next season, 1 nominee and the rest through GP qualifiers.

Whilst I see merit in the sentiment of your point it would mean all of the riders entering the qualifiers or you would have he distinct possibility of a number of the genuinally top riders not in the series the next year. With the number of weekends needed to facilitate it this it would be logistically difficult.

This is great craic as we say here in Ireland!!! I'm going to have another 'go'.....if the 8th and 9th rider in qualifying heats have same points why shouldnt the rider who then goes into the semi but finishes in 4th not be rewarded??? He's gaining nothing at all over rider who finished in 9th in qualifiers. In other words why bother riding your backside off to reach semi if you gain nothing as some unfortunate soul has to finish last in semi and final too!!

Aw wwell I'm off to the tt races in Isle of Man tomorrow :party:

Edited by emerald tyke

This is great craic as we say here in Ireland!!! I'm going to have another 'go'.....if the 8th and 9th rider in qualifying heats have same points why shouldnt the rider who then goes into the semi but finishes in 4th not be rewarded??? He's gaining nothing at all over rider who finished in 9th in qualifiers. In other words why bother riding your backside off to reach semi if you gain nothing as some unfortunate soul has to finish last in semi and final too!!

Aw wwell I'm off to the tt races in Isle of Man tomorrow :party:

As has been stated he is gaining......he has the chance to win more points maybe just because of the number on his race jacket.Are you saying then that because he fails to use that advantage he should still be awarded even for coming last?just because of a race jacket........ :blink: