British Speedway Forum
iris123

Gorzow Gp Saturday 23rd June

Harris is proof that the best riders should be in the GP irrespective of nationality, he isnt up to the level required england is now a third rate speedway nation, oh for another collins, morton, lee, simmons, jessup, carter etc

that was a golden era for British riders..... unfortunately since then the machinery and sponsorship has got away from us

I'm not sure that along the way we havent had riders to have the same potential as those guys ....but they have had a virtually impossible mission to realise the potential while their finances and backing are minnowed by the top guys from elsewhere...........

I am still waiting for the day that a generation of them wake up and find out what the Aussie blueprint is because they hardly come over with megabucks themselves

All that said there are obviously still issues in the Harris camp as to how the tuppence should be spent .... Holts gun gum or rubber bands

that was a golden era for British riders..... unfortunately since then the machinery and sponsorship has got away from us

I'm not sure that along the way we havent had riders to have the same potential as those guys ....but they have had a virtually impossible mission to realise the potential while their finances and backing are minnowed by the top guys from elsewhere...........

I am still waiting for the day that a generation of them wake up and find out what the Aussie blueprint is because they hardly come over with megabucks themselves

All that said there are obviously still issues in the Harris camp as to how the tuppence should be spent .... Holts gun gum or rubber bands

Backing isn't the problem. Harris isn't short of good backing and as we know he throws a lot of money at it.

Riders like Kennett and Richardson have had good backing from Hagon who I'm led to believe supply all their bikes. Nicholls had good backing from Allan Ham in the GPs but it didn't do him much good.

The problem, as Loram has often said, is that riders aren't coming through from the Grasstrack scene like they used to. Loram, Screen, Doncaster, Wigg, Tatum, Cross and even lesser internationals like Schofield, Hurry, etc progressed from the grass. Harris too but times have changed and the National League isn't enough to bring in the talent required.

If only someone could persuade Hagon to back a similar scheme to Hamill's, grab the kids off the street and supply the gear, we may start to build a future for this country.

Broc Nicol looks to have the talent to make it already and we need to find those sort of prospects and help them along the way.

Backing isn't the problem. Harris isn't short of good backing and as we know he throws a lot of money at it.

Riders like Kennett and Richardson have had good backing from Hagon who I'm led to believe supply all their bikes. Nicholls had good backing from Allan Ham in the GPs but it didn't do him much good.

The problem, as Loram has often said, is that riders aren't coming through from the Grasstrack scene like they used to. Loram, Screen, Doncaster, Wigg, Tatum, Cross and even lesser internationals like Schofield, Hurry, etc progressed from the grass. Harris too but times have changed and the National League isn't enough to bring in the talent required.

If only someone could persuade Hagon to back a similar scheme to Hamill's, grab the kids off the street and supply the gear, we may start to build a future for this country.

Broc Nicol looks to have the talent to make it already and we need to find those sort of prospects and help them along the way.

Auty, Barker, Roynon, Daniel Greenwood and Tom Perry all came from grasstrack backgrounds.

what can i say, a fantastic meeting with a bit of everything chucked in. a very good advert speedway gp i feel.

harris ? two e/f not good enough at this or any level. really needs to up his game.

hans ? not many points but on the pace and had good speed and rode with his head for once.

crump ? what happened there, very poor.

emil ? never been the same since his lay off.

holder ? going well but dont like aussies ;-)

new blood in proved very xciting and shows my idea of quaily on friday rather than practice would be good.

gona miss the whole w/c but roll on the next gp.

As for Woffinden, I can't quite understand why he wouldn't take it on next year. He's ambitious and has been around at the top level long enough to give it a crack now.

Think Tai has been honest about his ambitions.

He has said he wants a good season behind him before commiting.

He also said on SKY/Twitter that he should be wild-carded to Cardiff instead of having to qualify via the British Final, He has a good point. Who else uses this way of wild carding??

I believe he also said if Bomber cant do it in the GP`s let him have a go!

I know he started the season saying he wanted to qualify by right. However if he comes back well from his injury and finishes the season well i think he would think twice if offered a GP spot next season.

I mean, the thoughts of Vaculik, ward, MJ Jensen, Tai possibly being pit forward it looks quite exciting!

Think Tai has been honest about his ambitions.

He has said he wants a good season behind him before commiting.

He also said on SKY/Twitter that he should be wild-carded to Cardiff instead of having to qualify via the British Final, He has a good point. Who else uses this way of wild carding??

I believe he also said if Bomber cant do it in the GP`s let him have a go!

I know he started the season saying he wanted to qualify by right. However if he comes back well from his injury and finishes the season well i think he would think twice if offered a GP spot next season.

I mean, the thoughts of Vaculik, ward, MJ Jensen, Tai possibly being pit forward it looks quite exciting!

Why should he be seeded to the wild-card at Cardiff ? What about Nicholls,Barker King etc.If Tai doesn`t win or finish 2nd to Harris on his home track then in my opinion he doesn`t deserve to be there.

• Like 1

Why should he be seeded to the wild-card at Cardiff ? What about Nicholls,Barker King etc.If Tai doesn`t win or finish 2nd to Harris on his home track then in my opinion he doesn`t deserve to be there.

Like Steve says, no other country uses this system of wild carding. It's down to IMG at the end of the day, they've obviously okayed it but the last two years I would rather have seen Barker or Tai get the wild card than Nicholls as he was always going to struggle and has had plenty of chances in the GP.

Personally I don't want to see Nicholls in it yet again scratching for points but no doubt he will be. Let's give the young lads something to aim for.

Edited by ImpartialOne
  • Like 1

Like Steve says, no other country uses this system of wild carding. It's down to IMG at the end of the day, they've obviously okayed it but the last two years I would rather have seen Barker or Tai get the wild card than Nicholls as he was always going to struggle and has had plenty of chances in the GP.

Personally I don't want to see Nicholls in it yet again scratching for points but no doubt he will be. Let's give the young lads something to aim for.

Then they had better beat him at Wolves on July 30th.

Then they had better beat him at Wolves on July 30th.

Well yes they better had because that's the system. But it needn't be the system. Nicholls is a big fish in a small pond that's all. But his qualification is wasted on him. He's had his day now in GPs, let's give the kids a chance like we used to.

Who do the Poles nominate? Protesiewicz or Zmarzlik? Would the Danes nominate Bjarne Pedersen or Mikkel B. Jensen?

We want to see new blood not dried up old clots.

Yes but it does at least mean a 'form' rider goes to Cardiff. I do kind of see where you're coming from but I do also like the fact that the Wild Card slot makes the British Final a bit more worthwhile again. Man I used to love those British Finals in 80s/90s at a packed Brandon.

Yes but it does at least mean a 'form' rider goes to Cardiff. I do kind of see where you're coming from but I do also like the fact that the Wild Card slot makes the British Final a bit more worthwhile again. Man I used to love those British Finals in 80s/90s at a packed Brandon.

I agree, it does make the British Final "a bit" more worthwhile again. In fact it's the only thing that makes a British Final at Wolverhampton worthwhile.

A lot of people have said how the British Final has lost its prestige in recent years. I wonder why? Holding it at Oxford and Wolverhampton might be a clue. In the 80s and 90s, as you say, the British Final was a big event packed out on a sunny afternoon at Coventry. It was prestigious and everything about it was right. So it's no wonder moving it to Wolvethampton on a Monday night has killed the event. Some things are better left alone and this was one of them.

Why on earth can't it be taken back to its rightful place on its rightful day? :(

Does it? I don't take an awful lot of interest in it,but thought it was one of these meetings where two top scorers are joined by two riders who get through a race-off then it is winner takes all.So you don't have to be the best rider to win it,so you don't have to be a 'form' rider to get a GP wild card.By actually picking a 'form' rider on his 'form' you get a 'form' rider rather than just a rider who goes well on a particular track on a particular night.Or maybe the British Final isn't like that at all and i am mistaken.Then i apologise in advance

Edited by iris123

'Mechanical Failures'. Let's face it the so called turnaround in Denmark wasn't really a turnaround, he just rode his luck (which I accept is a major part of Speedway in the end). Tonight he was an embarrassment, but you just know every Speedway media outlet will be full of Harris blaming everything but himself, his machinery, his dog, his girlfriend

Unless he qualifies through the SGP Qualifiers (for the sake of the series, I hope he doesn't quite frankly), he and Bjerre are surely done for on this form. It's a shame for Bjerre, who if he was British would easily 'deserve' another go, but as he isn't, I can't see him being afforded the same charity, especially when Iversen, Jensen and the like are waiting in the wings.

The two new boys were superb tonight. If Vaculik doesn't qualify by right, he surely warrants a Wild Card on tonight's form. Brilliant.

JT.

I don't blame her just yet. However, I'd give her a chance at being his mechanic if I were him.

Who knows, he may improve and start getting points on the board.. if not, then let the slating commence. ;)

Winning the British Final is no indication on form whatsoever.

Only here in the UK could we have a system where a rider gets a 15 point maximum in the British Final, then doesn't win it, therefore allowing a somebody else take their place in Cardiff. Just because of the 'race-off' system now in place. Typically British. "Well done on being the best rider by far over your races, but you're out because of one bad heat."

Oh dear.

'Mechanical Failures'. Let's face it the so called turnaround in Denmark wasn't really a turnaround, he just rode his luck (which I accept is a major part of Speedway in the end). Tonight he was an embarrassment, but you just know every Speedway media outlet will be full of Harris blaming everything but himself, his machinery, his dog, his girlfriend...

The two new boys were superb tonight. If Vaculik doesn't qualify by right, he surely warrants a Wild Card on tonight's form. Brilliant.

JT.

Was Rosco in Harris' camp? Eddie Bull engines? What happened to the the Peter Johns engines?

As for Vaculik and Zmarzlik. Fantastic. But let's see how they go from now on. One swallow doesn't make a summer as we saw with Chris.

I'm now hoping for good results from Chris but not holding my breath. Maybe the WTC and the Elite is the only series that will get him going. Significantly they have team managers :oops:

• Like 1

I agree, it does make the British Final "a bit" more worthwhile again. In fact it's the only thing that makes a British Final at Wolverhampton worthwhile.

A lot of people have said how the British Final has lost its prestige in recent years. I wonder why? Holding it at Oxford and Wolverhampton might be a clue. In the 80s and 90s, as you say, the British Final was a big event packed out on a sunny afternoon at Coventry. It was prestigious and everything about it was right. So it's no wonder moving it to Wolvethampton on a Monday night has killed the event. Some things are better left alone and this was one of them.

Why on earth can't it be taken back to its rightful place on its rightful day? :(

Actually the golden era of Brandon British Finals was Wednesday evenings, Sundays only came in the mid eighties