British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lucifer sam

Scunthorpe V Mildenhall - Friday, June 29th (nl) 7.30pm

GREENWOOD TO RETURN FOR SAINTS

OLIVER Greenwood makes his long-awaited 2012 debut for the Jotun Paints Scunthorpe Saints on Friday evening (7.30pm), as the Saints entertain high-flying Mildenhall Fen Tigers in a National League encounter at the Eddie Wright Raceway.

Greenwood suffered a broken collarbone in the British Under-21 semi-final at Stoke in mid-April, just before the Saints’ commenced their 2012 fixtures. The 17-year-old made three appearances for the Saints during 2011, before being rewarded with a full-time place in this year’s Saints team.

Team manager Stuart Parnaby said: “It’s great that Oliver can now commence his season with the Saints.

“He’s been practicing at Rye House, and also had a ride after Tuesday’s Scunthorpe v Ipswich Premier League match.

“I know Oliver is really looking forward to it. Whenever possible, both he and his dad have been in attendance at our meetings, while he’s been out injured.

“We actually made Oliver the non-riding captain for our last home match against Buxton, because we had a bit of an unusual line-up and Oliver had been riding for us longer than any of the riders we had out on track.”

Parnaby is also pleased to be able to track a team of seven of his own riders on Friday night, without having to track guests or rider replacement.

“It’s good to be able to track seven riders”, he commented. “We are still without Adam Wrathall, who has had the pot removed from his arm, and now needs a couple of weeks practising and building up the lost muscle in his arm. Adam has not been kicking his heels; he’s been kept busy being the mechanic for Richie Worrall.

“But we can put out seven Saints on Friday night. We certainly need to put out a full team against Mildenhall, who have been flying this season. They are unbeaten in the league, but so are Dudley, and we had the Heathens beaten around here until we suffered a last race engine failure.

“Of course, the return of Mildenhall brings back the happy memories of last season’s play-off final. We clobbered them around Scunthorpe in the first leg of that. It’s highly unlikely that we’ll repeat that scoreline (62-33), but I feel we can win the meeting on Friday.

“This season, with our very young side, we go out with the aim of winning our home meetings, while we just want the younger riders – such as Danny Phillips and Max Clegg - to enjoy the away meetings.”

Meanwhile, Parnaby is delighted that Scunthorpe assets Stefan Nielsen and Tom Young will be sharing a reserve berth for the Premier League Scunthorpe Scorpions, following the reshuffle that has seen Nick Morris join the Scorpions. Ironically Young and Nielsen will be in opposing sides on Friday night.

“It’s really good news”, he enthused. “We’ve seen the Worrall twins, Ashley Birks and Gary Irving all graduate from the Saints into the Premier League, and now we have two more in Tom and Stefan.

“Stefan was a big gamble when we brought him into the Saints line-up, because no-one really knew much about him. However, as soon as he started riding for us, you could see he was a good kid with plenty of potential.

“We were hoping to have him ride for the Saints this year as well. But in the end, he joined Mildenhall, which actually worked out well, because he’s learnt how to ride small tracks.

“And then there’s Tom Young. He joined the Saints from Newport at the start of this year on an average of just above three, and he’s amazed everyone with his progress. There’s a great atmosphere around Tom, and he’s definitely a rider who is going places.

“I think both riders will do a good job in the Premier League, and I’m sure the supporters will be patient with them while they adapt to racing at that level.”

National League Admission Prices:

All Adults: £11.00

Child (10 - 16): £5.00

Child (0 - 9) Free (accompanied by paying adult)

Family Ticket £27 (2 adults, 2 Children 10-16)

Match Programme: £1.00

Teams for Friday:

Jotun Paints Scunthorpe Saints: 1. Steve Worrall, 2. Tommy Fenwick, 3. Gary Irving, 4. Oliver Greenwood, 5. Tom Young, 6. Danny Phillips, 7. Max Clegg.

Mildenhall Fen Tigers: 1. Cameron Heeps, 2. Joe Jacobs R/R, 3. Lewis Blackbird, 4. Daniel Halsey, 5. Stefan Nielsen, 6. Nathan Stoneman, 7. Josh Bates.

Mildenhall Fen Tigers at EWR

Leagues Ave Ave Best Total Pts Max

Name Ridden In M R Pts BP (no BP) (w BP) T/R Pts Performance Scored F P

Josh Bates NL DEBUT @ EWR

Lewis Blackbird NL 2 9 13 2 5.78 6.67 2 7 + 2 from 4 rides (2011) 17 0 0

Daniel Halsey CL/NL 10 47 45 5 3.83 4.26 2 11 + 1 from 5 rides (inc 4 pts T/R (2008) 52 0 0

Cameron Heeps NL 1 5 12 0 9.60 9.60 3 15 from 5 rides (inc 6 pts T/R (2011)) 15 0 0

Joe Jacobs NL 3 14 13 2 3.71 4.29 0 10 + 1 from 5 rides (2011) 15 0 0

Stefan Nielsen NL 9 39 66 12 6.77 8.00 0 14 + 1 from 7 rides (2011 - for Saints) 78 0 0

Nathan Stoneman NL DEBUT @ EWR

Mildenhall's Previous NL Results at EWR:

18 June 2005 - CL Scunthorpe 50 Mildenhall 43

26 June 2006 - CL Scunthorpe 59 Mildenhall 34

31 July 2006 - CT Scunthorpe 60 Mildenhall 33

2 May 2009 - NL Scunthorpe 57 Mildenhall 38

29 August 2011 - NL Scunthorpe 51 Mildenhall 39

21 October 2011 - NL POF Scunthorpe 62 Mildenhall 33

Other Notes:

Josh Bates 16-year old who is in his debut National League season.

Winner of the 2011 Scunthorpe Amateur Summer Series (250cc).

Lewis Blackbird Member of Mildenhall's National League KO Cup Winning Team in 2011.

Daniel Halsey Member of Mildenhall's National League KO Cup Winning Team in 2011.

Has previously ridden in the Premier League for Rye House and Birmingham.

Cameron Heeps 5 times Western Australian Under-16 Champion (2006 to 2010).

Member of Mildenhall's National League KO Cup Winning Team in 2011.

Doubling-up with Ipswich in the Premier League for the 2012 season.

Joe Jacobs Member of Mildenhall's National League KO Cup Winning Team in 2011.

Stefan Nielsen Former Saint who made his National League debut at Belle Vue in 2011 and announced this week as a doubling-up rider with the Scorpions in the Premier League..

Member of Scunthorpe's National League Championship Winning Team in 2011.

Nathan Stoneman 2011 British Youth Champion (500cc).

15-year old who is in his debut National League season.

Mildenhall Fen Tigers' 2012 Results

08/04/2012 NS H W Mildenhall 47 Dudley 46

15/04/2012 KOC (1) H W Mildenhall 55 King's Lynn 40

02/05/2012 KOC (2) A W Mildenhall 51 King's Lynn 39 (On agg - W: 106 - 79)

06/05/2012 NL H W Mildenhall 62 Scunthorpe 29

15/05/2012 NL A W Mildenhall 49 Isle of Wight 41

27/05/2012 NL H W Mildenhall 49 Rye House 38

29/05/2012 NS A L Mildenhall 41 Dudley 52 (On agg - L: 88 - 98)

04/06/2012 NL A W Mildenhall 50 Rye House 40

(stats courtesy of John Eyre)

Please let the rain stay away so we get this meeting on. Will be my last meeting before going on my annual visit home to Wales. Good luck SAINTS. stay safe!

This may be a hard meeting for the Saints. Heeps was here Tuesday. Stefan an x Saint knows his way round the EWR. Plus I think most of the Mildenhall team are quite familiar with the track having done our Am meetings. However I do think the Saints can win this one! GO SAINTS!!!!

Come on tigers am coming to this to support my team. am also picking up my new car as well

I think this puts down a marker as to just how good Mildenhall are, i really expected The Saints to push The Tigers in this meeting, however with Falls, Injuries and a poor showing from The No1, combined with an allround performance from the Tigers, The Saints were comprehensively beaten.

Sadly it would seem Nathan Stoneman suffered a broken femur tonight and is ruled out for the rest of the season.

All the best

Rob

• Like 1

Sadly it would seem Nathan Stoneman suffered a broken femur tonight and is ruled out for the rest of the season.

All the best

Rob

The best wishes of all at the 'T' household go to Nathan and his family. Hope you make a speedy recovery mate, and we'll see you when you get home.

Take it easy matey,

Regards Dave & Tina Thompson

Sorry to read about the injury to Nathan, get well soon mate.

Such a shame as Nathan was really beginning to show his potential , hope it heals quickly for him , young bones do mend alot faster at his age than mine ( 50+ )

This is a massive loss for the Tigers though , finding a replacement of his talent for a reserve berth in this league will be nigh on impossible !

Anyway , well done on the win last night and a speedy recovery for Nathan !!!

Sorry to hear about all the injuries last night, Nathan, Tommy and Danny here's hoping for a speedy recovery to all concerned.

Bad news about Nathan, hopefully it heals well, i think legault had a similar injury and was never quite the same anymore, Nathan has age on his side, so hopefully we will see him back at west Row next year.

Just wondered about the replacement, when do (if they do) riders averages come into play? would Nathan have moved in to the top part of the side soon ? what are the rules around this? say he had an average of 6ish? can we get a rider up to that average? or will it need to be a 3 pointer ? if so I would have thought it would be Joe Graver?

Bad news about Nathan, hopefully it heals well, i think legault had a similar injury and was never quite the same anymore, Nathan has age on his side, so hopefully we will see him back at west Row next year.

Just wondered about the replacement, when do (if they do) riders averages come into play? would Nathan have moved in to the top part of the side soon ? what are the rules around this? say he had an average of 6ish? can we get a rider up to that average? or will it need to be a 3 pointer ? if so I would have thought it would be Joe Graver?

Gutted for Nathan. He's been awesome so far this season. He was riding well beyond his years, experience & average, which makes him somewhat irreplaceable.

That was only Mildenhall's 5th league meeting of the season, so he won't get a new average. Even if he did, he probably would have stayed at reserve, anyway, as the top 5 are all riding well and upped their averages.

So I would expect Joe Graver to be given the chance now, but may be wrong.