British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

World Cup - Too Frequent? Alternatives.

There aren't really enough teams to make biennial or quadrennial competition worthwhile with the current format. And a more involved head-to-head match format would rule out all but about 6 countries.

The current competition is one of the more interesting events of the season, and there's not a great deal wrong with it (by speedway standards) except there should be reserves. There always used to be when the same format was used in the past, so one can only assume it's a cost cutting measure.

In the past, reserves could be used as a team manager wished, and so long as they can't take more rides than anyone else then what does it matter?

Edited by Humphrey Appleby
  • Like 1

I agree Humph.Similar but on a smaller scale with the Ice Racing 'team' championship where the reserve can be used at any time for any rider,but like you say,no more rides than anyone else

• Like 1

World Cup is special.......one of the best events of the year,each year.Why try and fit speedway intoa pattern that suits football for obvious reasons of the amount of countries entering?Speedway + football are totally different.Could say why have Wimbledon or Tour de France every year.........crack pot idea :D

Was just coming along to post the same sentiments. Why on earth should speedway have their World Cup once every four years just because football does? Lots of sports (probably most i think) be it for teams or individuals have their World Championships annually.

Also an excellent point made regarding the Tour de France and Wimbledon.

For what it's worth the four year gap is too much for football it should be reduced to two.

Edited by manchesterpaul

For what it's worth the four year gap is too much for football it should be reduced to two.

Then when would they play the European Championships? And before anyone says every other year, when would the qualifiers get played given that the qualifying competition for both the World Cup and Euros takes 18 months?

In addition, more World Cups would mean more hosts like Qatar. The competition is tarnished enough without having twice as many editions.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

I only put the idea forward for Discussion. I still think there is room for a World Pairs Competition and a World Four Team Tournament.

I used to enjoy the 'Pairs' particularly when 'Simmo', Collins et al were riding. Perhaps TeamGB would not be able to put out a great Team at the moment but it would still be good to watch.

Then when would they play the European Championships? And before anyone says every other year, when would the qualifiers get played given that the qualifying competition for both the World Cup and Euros takes 18 months?

In addition, more World Cups would mean more hosts like Qatar. The competition is tarnished enough without having twice as many editions.

Don't want to digress in detail into football but a loose thought is that the continental championship Finals would provide the qualifiers for the World Cup Finals.

I only put the idea forward for Discussion. I still think there is room for a World Pairs Competition and a World Four Team Tournament.

I used to enjoy the 'Pairs' particularly when 'Simmo', Collins et al were riding. Perhaps TeamGB would not be able to put out a great Team at the moment but it would still be good to watch.

That's cool, i don't think anyone has shot you down in flames for doing so (yet!) lol. But i stress again i strongly disagree we should copy football. Pretty much every year we have some of the best racing and drama of the season in the World Cup, so where is the sense in rationing it to once every four years!

Edited by manchesterpaul
  • Like 1

In my opinion SWC is ok, like it is... but I think that each year all the SWC evant's should be organised in one country, as it was few years ago, it would be a good chance to promote speedway in host countries, and to show some less known trakcs, and not only...

Next year the SWC final will be probably set in Prague... according to regulations, Czech team will be racing in great final as a host, and it's ok because hosts, should have their team, but Czech team in great final without any qualifications hmm... but If all the SWC would be set in Czech Republic, It won't be a problem. They could start from Evant 1/2 like the other teams.

It could be like this:

Evant 1 - Pardubice

Evant 2 - Mseno

Race Off - Prague

Final - Prague

If there was to be changes I would rather it was something like ....

The World Team Cup (4 riders and 1 sub) to be held every other year

Then in the other year, there is the WORLD CUP where each country is represented by 8 rider teams (6 + 2 reserves) using the much tied and tested old International Format over 18 heats

If it was to be held in England say ..... you would have 12 countries in four groups of 3

Groups 1 and 3 ride on Monday, Wednesday and Friday .... Groups 2 and 4 ride on the Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday

Winners of Group 1 and Group 3 race off on the Monday .... Group 2 ad 4 winners on the Wednesday ..... The final to be held on the Saturday .... (or best of 3 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday at 3 different tracks)

Sweden, Poland, Denmark, Russia, Australia, England, Germany, and Czech Republic would be joined by the 4 qualifiers, possibly from Italy, USA, Slovenia, Slovakia, Latvia, Finland, Scotland, Ukraine, Croatia etc

Scotland

8 Riders we cant even get 4!!

8 Riders we cant even get 4!!

It's always the big problem when someone suggests such a thing.After about the top 3 or 4 countries the quality drops very rapidly,so most other countries are really scraping the barrel to find 5,6 or 7 international quality riders.Just looking at the list shows how little the guy has about the quality in countries like Croatia,Latvia,Germany and for cristsake Slovakia?????? Do they have more than one rider?You might as well list Belgium.....even Bulgaria have more riders than Slovakia i think....crazy as none of these teams will bring anything whatsoever toa competition.And would 100% be a comp much worse than the annual SWC.....on the shuttle to Planet Zog with you :t:

Does anyone know whey there were no reserves this year? I can't see any logical reason for it. For example, Gollob came off in heat 1 yesterday evening. If he had been injured, the rest of the meeting would have been a farce. That is the only thing I would change.

Does anyone know whey there were no reserves this year? I can't see any logical reason for it.

Undoubtedly money.

In my opinion SWC is ok, like it is... but I think that each year all the SWC evant's should be organised in one country, as it was few years ago, it would be a good chance to promote speedway in host countries, and to show some less known trakcs

It stopped because it was a financial disaster. Hardly anyone turned up to the rounds where the host nation didn't feature.

The other reason was that 12 teams riding at the same stage of the competition meant too many no-hopers being involved.

In my opinion SWC is ok, like it is... but I think that each year all the SWC evant's should be organised in one country, as it was few years ago, it would be a good chance to promote speedway in host countries, and to show some less known trakcs, and not only...

Next year the SWC final will be probably set in Prague... according to regulations, Czech team will be racing in great final as a host, and it's ok because hosts, should have their team, but Czech team in great final without any qualifications hmm... but If all the SWC would be set in Czech Republic, It won't be a problem. They could start from Evant 1/2 like the other teams.

It could be like this:

Evant 1 - Pardubice

Evant 2 - Mseno

Race Off - Prague

Final - Prague

Change Mseno (crap track) for Liberec (brilliant track). That would be nice in 2014?15?

I always believed , If it's not broken, then why fix it.

I am all for the wtc staying in it's format as it is but are the El Clubs getting compensated?Swindon for one could of done with running this week were they compensated?RIders I believe get paid peanuts for these events? as well I don't agree with these events also the gps dictating our league fixtures.If all the clubs are compensated I haven't a problem if not something has to be done about it.

• Like 1