British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
EC Rides Again

British Final At Wolverhampton, Mon 30th July 2012

A very fine showing from Cookie. He was very unfortunate that Harris' bike failure allowed Stead the 2points needed to make the race off. Someone said about one good performance, clearly he doesnt see Cookie week in week out and hasnt been noticing the scores he is putting in lately in the EL.

Cook was very unlucky and 10points in your first GB Final is not to be sniffed at. I hope Belle Vue or whichever EL club come calling have a big cheque in hand when they want him off us.

Personally think mature riders like Joe Screen and David Howe deserve wild cards instead of Tai Woffinden.

When riders go into the GP's, They represent TeamGB and Woffinden would not represent us well but Screen and Howe would as they are sportsmen but more importantly they hold superior morals.

:) :) we have enough problems producing decent riders for us to worry about their morals.

your girly boy does not have the moral backbone to keep his language down when interviewed and he does alright.

Except for last night when he was owned by Anrey karpov and Bjarne Pedersen TWICE on his home track :) :)

Sad to say the best rider won on the night and once again a complete waste of a wild card for Cardiff. Woffinden is the best prospect we have but non of the Brits deserve to be in SGP next year.

We have a few decent prospects but they will never make the grade as for them racing in Poland or Sweden is beyond them cost wise so most will never rise above the PL level or reserve level in EL on a doubling up basis.

Sponsorship is hard to get here and without a decent set of sponsors most of what we have coming up the ranks will stall at PL heat leader level.

Ritchie Worrall had a good opportunity with the world U21 but luck dealt him some lousy cards and he is not likely to manage that again. We are at least 10 years away from having anyone that can challenge in SGP or SWC and that is if we act now and try to fast track some young riders up to EL level. Mear is brave to give it a try but I don't see him in the mix anytime soon.

We all know what our problems are and pretty much have an idea how to redress it but money is the key and there is not the money here in the sport. PL and EL Promoters could help by wasting time on Brit youngsters at 6 and 7 instead of wasting time on useless foreign riders.

When everything is taken into account the simple truth is we don't deserve to be in SGP and our seeded status at SWC level is probably not deserved either. Our speedway has gone backwards now for nearly 30 years and the current economic climate is doing it no favours any more than the weather.

A complete overhaul of the so called Elite League is needed with the emphasis on BRITISH riders rather than everyone else's riders. Will that happen? Of course it won't.

Edited by pandorum
  • Like 4

Scott was up the inner of Tai on the straight in the final. I think he would have won anyway as he was passing everyone on the night.

best rider and most exciting rider on the night won.

• Like 2

A very fine showing from Cookie. He was very unfortunate that Harris' bike failure allowed Stead the 2points needed to make the race off. Someone said about one good performance, clearly he doesnt see Cookie week in week out and hasnt been noticing the scores he is putting in lately in the EL.

Cook was very unlucky and 10points in your first GB Final is not to be sniffed at. I hope Belle Vue or whichever EL club come calling have a big cheque in hand when they want him off us.

Is he an Edinburgh asset Snyper??

The whole meeting was crap, and how boring Nicholls in the GP great I can't wait.

• Like 1

Is he an Edinburgh asset Snyper??

He was bought from Workington using the money we got from selling Summers i believe.

Much as I am a Craig Cook fan I think this is a bit over the top. He did very well and has good potential.

What a pity there is so much fuss about a stupid word. It would be different if he was actually doing it! It's all part of the hypocrisy of the age we live in, everything has to be sanitised for public consumption. I detest the constant apologising about unimportant words which hardly anyone hears anyway. Just ask the riders privately to try to avoid swearing but don't get uptight when something slips out.

If Woffinden has lost his place at Poole for this reason then that is pathetic.

Tai never lost his place, he has withdrawn through injury. He dislocated his shoulder at Poole last week and has told Middlo that he does not feel up to riding Wednesday. Whilst it would have been good to see him represent team GB, and I know it means a lot to him to do that, he needs to let his shoulder heal properly, this match whilst interesting is not an official fixture, just a challenge, so I think he is right to sit it out.

If Woffinden has lost his place at Poole for this reason then that is pathetic.

GB boss Neil Middleditch said: “I always felt that Lewis was being optimistic when he told me he was going to try and make the British Final and my fears were founded when he had to turn back whilst en route to the meeting, whilst Tai told me on Monday that he really didn't feel up to racing on Wednesday.

Tai never lost his place, he has withdrawn through injury. He dislocated his shoulder at Poole last week and has told Middlo that he does not feel up to riding Wednesday. Whilst it would have been good to see him represent team GB, and I know it means a lot to him to do that, he needs to let his shoulder heal properly, this match whilst interesting is not an official fixture, just a challenge, so I think he is right to sit it out.

That sore he managed to go jetsking the next day and take another ride in the same meeting? Sounds very painful.

Oh well in comes Cookie. Hopefully another good showing from the Monarchs number 1 :)

Edited by Snyper1010
  • Like 1

At least sir shoutalot knows what a HT Lead is now... :rofl:

• Like 1

At least sir shoutalot knows what a HT Lead is now... :rofl:

So will Roynan after his attempts to reconnect the plug lead whilst the engine was still turning over . :D

• Like 1

Why?

The event is a poor one because of the lack of top class riders and the fact that you can predict the winner of many heats before they start. At least offering the Wild Card to the highest finisher gives it a bit more interest.

Nicholls scored more points than Woffy and beat him in the final so I'd say the right man has got the Wild Card.

I didnt say it is a poor event tho.

All i am saying is that other nations put forward there best up and coming assets and we leave it to a select few to ensure they get a chance.

Im not disputing the right man got the wild card. I am disputing that it is the correct way to select the Wild card.

Time to change the venue now for this meeting i think,crowd didnt look to hot last night,and i though the racing was pretty poor,im fast going off these small technical tracks,i also think it one of the reasonS we cant compete on the world stage,Move it to the Lynn or P`Boro,or even Sheffield,Scunthorpe or Somerset

Guess what, even BIG non technical tracks produce dull racing and have the same difficulties to prepare also.

The sole reason we cant perform on the World stage is not enough Brits want to move up to the EL AND struggle in the main countries of Poland and Sweden.

Cook indeed have a great meeting and put himself well and truly in the shop window.

Hopefully abroad will start calling as that is where he needs to start focusing on.

Not sure what his value would be tho. Certainly not a big cheque value because we need to see that he is commited and is prepared to put the EL first.

The kid has a chance tho, always been impressed watching him progress.

That sore he managed to go jetsking the next day and take another ride in the same meeting? Sounds very painful.

Oh well in comes Cookie. Hopefully another good showing from the Monarchs number 1 :)

The way you are trying to make this meeting out is that it is some vital challenge fixture that the BSPA is desperate to promote the next generation of British talent.

The governing body care not a jot about the British riders and their future. I don`t blame Tai for pulling out if he wants the rest. It isnt like the BSPA supported him in his year in the GP`s.

Anyone with an ounce of sense will know Cook is just a replacement for a better rider.

I hope Cook takes the opportunity and show we have a Brit with passion because besides Bomber and Tai , and also Ben Barker, i see little pride and enthusiasm for pulling on a GB jacket.

Take your chance well Cookie!

Enjoy your break Tai, we need you fit for Coventry - not some tin pot nothing glorified challenge meeting.

Without doubt Scott Nicholls is the best British rider by far and his 2 wins in the last 2 years in the British Final and passing Harris also into the bargain just proves that fact. But when you look at that line-up of riders taking part it just goes to show what a very sorry state British speedway is in, especially when a National League rider wins a race. This is at an all time low with not one up and coming rider of any note coming through and quite honestly cannot see it changing. Sad days indeed thank god theres riders from other countries to entertain us in the gp etc.