British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PhilK

Big Weekend Ahead At Mildenhall!

From the Official Mildenhall Website

There is a double bill of action at Mildenhall this weekend as the club host the prestigious National League Pairs Championship on Sunday afternoon (4.30pm), following a crucial National League encounter at West Row on Saturday evening (7pm) against the rejuvenated Buxton Hitmen.

Co-Promoter Michael Lee feels a great weekend of action lies ahead. "The Pairs promises to be a cracking meeting. I know our boys, Cameron (Heeps) and Lewis (Blackbird) will be there and thereabouts, but the more I look at the rest of the field the more difficult it is to see a weak pairing. I guess that if you had to pick a favourite it might be Simon Lambert and Ashley Birks for Stoke, but suddenly Buxton look strong. Robert Branford loves riding Mildenhall and Charles Wright's return has given them a big boost.

"It should be a terrific afternoon's racing and we look forward to welcoming supporters from all over the country to West Row. It's a great honour for us to stage this meeting and we want it to be a day to remember for everyone."

The club have kept admission prices pegged at £12 for adults, £11 for concessions, with children under 15 admitted free. There will also be a full colour 24 page souvenir programme.

Before that, the Fen Tigers face Buxton on Saturday night, with Lee feeling their long home unbeaten record could come under serious threat. "No offence to Buxton, but a few weeks ago people would have laughed if I had said that, but now they look a strong and classy outfit. Getting Charles Wright back was a real coup for them. We all know what Branford can do around here. Luke Priest and Dean Felton are ex-Mildenhall, so add that together and we have a real challenge on our hands, especially now that Cam and Lewis will be away riding for Ipswich and Leicester. The rest of the boys really will have to dig deep to win this one and it could turn out to be a real thriller.

"It would be lovely if fans from other clubs decide to make a weekend of it and come along to this meeting as well. As soon as it's finished we have laid on a disco in the bar so everyone can enjoy a social event and have a great Saturday night."

The Fen Tigers have drafted in Aaron Baseby to guest for Heeps and will operate rider replacement for Blackbird. They'll also give a debut to new signing Ryan Daley after the 18-year-old impressed in the Anglia Junior League meeting against Lakeside last Sunday.

"He looked really good and wasn't afraid to get stuck in. He scored some great points, so as part of our youth development policy we've decided to give him a run in the team. He has been living in New Zealand with his family for the last few years and has been coached by no less than Ronnie Moore, Barry Briggs and Ivan Mauger!" Lee has also been quick to quash rumours about Daley's eligibility to ride in the UK. "It's very straightforward. Ryan and his family are English. He was born in Hammersmith and so holds a British passport. It's as simple as that!"

Mildenhall Fen Tigers v Buxton

1.Aaron Baseby (g) 5.08

2 Joe Jacobs 6.27

3 Stefan Nielsen 8.25

4 Daniel Halsey 6.51

5 R/R

6.Josh Bates 3.00

7.Ryan Daley 3.00

NATIONAL LEAGUE PAIRS LINE UP

Buxton

Robert Branford & Charles Wright

Dudley

Byron Bekker & Tom Perry

Isle of Wight

Kyle Hughes & Danny Warwick

King's Lynn

James Cockle & Lewis Kerr

Rye House

Ben Morley & James Sarjeant

Scunthorpe

Gary Irving & Tom Young

Stoke

Simon Lambert & Ashley Birks

Mildenhall

Cameron Heeps & Lewis Blackbird

you can bet mr lee, that our mr lee, and the buxton boys will be coming to win ,they so needs points if they are to make a late charge up the table and reach the playoffs.i will make the trip with my hubby because it looks like a good weekend both speedway wise and weather wise so come on the hitmen show that hitmanpower works.

Great meeting that.Really close racing.The boys deserve a lot of credit for the win againts a decent Buxton side.Especially as we were missing Cam and Lewis.Stef and Joe were superb.Stef was especially unlucky not to go through the card.Getting massive lift at the wrong time.How he held onto the 1st one is beyond me.To recover and re-take the lead,only for it to happen again.I don't think i've seen anything like it.

Thought Josh Bates put in a cracking little performance.Looks so much more composed on a bike compared to the start of the season.Taking his time to pass riders.Was good to see.

Branford for Buxton was great value.Never knows when he's beaten.Plenty of effort.1 rider i wouldn't mind seeing in a mildenhall race jacket 1 day.

Thought the ref had a bit of a mare in the last few heats.

Wright should have gone for his move in ht13.1st bend bunching my behind.Ran him straight to the fence,and flicked the wheel at Stef sending him into the fence

Excluding Blacklock in ht14 instead of Mckinna looked odd from my view.

Ht15.Mildenhall gated on a 5-1 only for it to be called back.Again a very odd decision.Looked like a normal 1st bend to me.

All in all.Another decent meeting at Mildenhall.The setup we have at the moment is superb.Really good feel about the club.Roll on tomorrow :)

Agree with all the above Adz, saturday night speedway is really good shame it cannot be our usual race night for me.

Stefan has just come on incredibly recently, 18, 15 (paid), 14 (paid) and 16 in his last four meetings I think ? (Mr Mungo can correct or confirm). He looks real quality and surely PL teams will be giving him a crack in that league sooner rather than later.

Josh looked so smooth on the bike last night, he is improving quickly under the guidance of Louis Carr and the Mildenhall promotion.

As for the referee, best left unsaid :wink:

Buxton were good value though and if ex-Fen Tigers Priest and Felton had shown anything they may well have nicked a point. Definately much improved with Charles Wright in the line up.

Edited by PhilK

Agree with all the above Adz, saturday night speedway is really good shame it cannot be our usual race night for me.

Stefan has just come on incredibly recently, 18, 15 (paid), 14 (paid) and 16 in his last four meetings I think ? (Mr Mungo can correct or confirm). He looks real quality and surely PL teams will be giving him a crack in that league sooner rather than later.

Josh looked so smooth on the bike last night, he is improving quickly under the guidance of Louis Carr and the Mildenhall promotion.

As for the referee, best left unsaid :wink:

Buxton were good value though and if ex-Fen Tigers Priest and Felton had shown anything they may well have nicked a point. Definately much improved with Charles Wright in the line up.

I thought the track looked a bit iffy at the start but didn't prove to be, and was probably the best I have seen it. It produced some good racing and seemed so smooth. Mildenhall were so strong even with a weakened side - clearly the impact of so many ex riders being involved is having a positive effect.

Ht15.Mildenhall gated on a 5-1 only for it to be called back.Again a very odd decision.Looked like a normal 1st bend to me.

It was a normal first bend, Adz. Your typical, competitive heat 15. The ref, however, felt that revenge was being sought even though no riders fell, or looked like falling!

A most definitely lively meeting Saturday night meeting.

Best wishes to the injured riders who are no doubt feeling very sore this morning.

Also to Robert Branford who threw up in the pits after that heat 9 race.

• Like 2

just back from a lovely weekend away down at mildenhall it was a good meeting on saturday spoiled by two very nasty looking crashes but thankfully all the riders seemed all right the team tried hard on sat but dean felton and luke priest disappointed but give it a go we will have to step up a gear on sun if heeps and blackbird are riding i must congratulate both of them on their win but what a let down the b s p a are i spoke to robert after the meeting to say well done on coming second with charles and asked to see his cup and was disgusted with the b s p a when he said he did not get anything to show he had even been in the meeting let alone finished runner up how bad is that the b s p a should be ashamed off themselves it does not give the kids any reward for their efforts

Edited by bw double
  • Like 1

Fantastic speedway at Mildy, both Sat nite andd Sun PM. Track superb and the racing even better.

Does help that Mildy did so well out of both meetings, but i knew that all along :)

Well done to all the boys of all teams, made for an excellent weekend.