British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RPNY

Swc Hosts 2013 - Why Not Cov?

I just read that as the new stadium in Manchester is unlikely to be finished in time, the SWC final is going elsewhere, with possibly Prague being a host venue next year. Couldnt we keep it in the UK and use Coventry? Good stadium, middle of the country and (lets face it they want us to be competitve) a lot of the GB team have good expereince of the track. Although at the moment I don't think even that would help us.

It does baffle me at times that Coventry never stage any big meetings anymore. Maybe because I remeber as a kid traveling up there for Test Matches, British/Overseas finals, NLRCs etc... Its a great track (when prep's properly) good stadium and perfectly located. Why isnt it used more?

• Like 1

i suggested the same on another thread. when u look at the british riders most ride coventry well as either coventry riders or assets at one time or another.

Think it was well explained....if the Manchester stadium is finished in time for 2014 then it will be held there.So no chance of GB hosting it two years on the trot.Then again if it isn't finished until 2015 then the same scenario for 2014 ad infinitum :rofl:

How many spectators can Coventry hold, and what are the facilities like.?

Why not Ipswich . Good race track now , plenty of car parking space and a stadium that can hold 10,000 plus and has had a gate of 19,000 for a Speedway match there.

People seem to lack basic understanding of the situation........it isn't a matter of listing tracks and asking why they don't get a certain meeting.Maybe the track doesn't want the meeting?Maybe the FIM won't give them the meeting?maybe even if they do want the meeting they don't make a better offer than another track? etc....as it is Manchester is going to get a super duper new stadium and this meeting has been earmarked for it......so.As far as i know they now have enough bricks for a wall of the toilet block at least,so looking good for 20??

fim have gave coventry the u21 championship final so you never know, maybe one day :)

Facilities not good enough

Food outlets are not opened some times

Small capacity

Coventry's track is ok but often has ruts in it.

Michael Jepsen Jensen doesn't like riding on it.

Edited by Jepsen Jensen Racing

mjj will have to adjust quick then as he is riding it on 17th aug in finals lol

also with regards to your above comments, it doesnt matter if he likes riding it in world cup as we are looking for an advantage for team gb not denmark

Edited by mdmc82

So your idea of it being at Coventry is for Harris,Kennett and Nicholls to have home advantage.

Doesn't matter, They would still get beat by the Danes,Aussies and Poles, It's supposed to be a level playing field.

TBH it doesn't matter where they hold it in GB,Coventry or Lakeside ....next year or the year after Scott will be another year past his best as will probably Harris,Kennett and most you would like to list.It seems we have maybe 4 or 5 years to wait until another crop of riders come to the fore.Until then unless we have more silly rules like GB can use three jokers at any time during a meeting we can forget about SWC medals.There really are 3 or 4 teams better than us at least

The stadium's capacity is 5,000 and was built in 1948. The record attendance for Brandon was set during a speedway meeting and stands at 25,000

5000 my backside surely! i would have though the grandstand alone holds that? Its at least double that capacity I think.

Jepsen Jensen racing, if you dont mind, please dont reply to any topics I start in the future dude. You seem to just want to wind people up and that's not why I come on here. Nothing personal sir...

Edited by Tex

So even if the grandstand holds 10,000 and the rest of the stadium can hold another 20,000,do Coventry want to host these meetings?Just because they are hosting a round of the U21s doesn't mean yes

Edited by iris123

So even if the grandstand holds 10,000 and the rest of the stadium can hold another 20,000,do Coventry want to host these meetings?Just because they are hosting a round of the U21s doesn't mean yes

More to the point, how much do they have to pay to host these meetings?