British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
builderbob

Iow V Dudley

dont think many dudley fans will come to this one,there 1st defeat and the ferry home might upset there stomachs :lol:

:rofl: waaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaahhahaahaahaahahaahaahahahaha :party:

Just back in Oxford after my trip to the Island. Dudley miles too good out the gate and that was pretty much where every race was decided bar two I think

One question though, what is Adam Roynon gaining from riding in the National League. I am all for developing youngsters (and boy he deserves some luck in the sport) but not sure he is learning anything from winning races by the length of the straght. Been out of touch with the youngsters around at the moment, Tom Perry looks a great prospect, not sure about Ashley Morris, seemed to be more concerned about looking round at those chasing him and got the hump after Kyle Hughes picked him off twice. Dudley are clearly a very good side and don't really need to be using Roynon which is frankly silly

1st trip to Smallbrook, a very nice stadium and well drilled organisation for those going back on the ferry

• Like 1

One question though, what is Adam Roynon gaining from riding in the National League. I am all for developing youngsters (and boy he deserves some luck in the sport) but not sure he is learning anything from winning races by the length of the straght.

To a degree, Chris, I think you may have answered your own question there. The situation has been picked over on numerous threads but, in gist the answer from those who oppose your view (among them myself) is as follows:

Roynon's horrendous injury history means he is way behind his contemporaries in terms of time on the bike and he needs a season such as this to rebuild his form and confidence.

He's a young-ish Brit -- it is the National Development League -- and if he makes strides, then that's good for the sport as a whole. He's an excellent and enthusiastic captain (he travelled to this fixture last year when injured, purely to support the side) who sets the tone for a young squad. Tom Perry has repeatedly mentioned his desire to take the No.1 jacket; Roynon sets a high bar there to which others can aspire.

Given Roynon's form across three leagues this season, it's salutary to recall that he didn't even start the 2012 NL campaign as the league's highest-averaged rider.

He won't be in the NL next year, all being well, and Dudley fans will be pleased with his efforts and happy to see him moving back up the ladder.

21CH has posted more lengthily and eloquently along these lines somewhere and if I can dig that out later today I'll reproduce it.

Cheers.

• Like 3

a lovely afternoon spent on the south coast was followed by a trip across the solent to see the islanders well beaten by a very determined dudley side. thankfully there were no sun delays which enabled us to get the earlier ferry. :approve:

He's a young-ish Brit --it is the National Development League --

(Stepping aside from the thrust of the last 2 posts, re Adam,)

- It's not a Development league, - It hasn't been for several years.

We do have Development Lges, - the ADL and the MDL. The Northern broke up.

• Like 1

Well, I won't dwell on the result other than saying in 40years of watching speedway that's the most dominant away performance I can remember.

However, personally I think it was a very positive performance from the Islanders! despite being behind from the first race they put in some good rides.

Kyle Hughes had a good meeting with some great battles to pass Dudley riders,

Danny Warwick had a bad night but probably a good meeting to have an off day as even if he had been on form the result wouldn't have changed.

Ben hopwood had a couple of good rides and Mark baseby should be a solid heat leader once he gets back into the groove.

Paul Stark struggled again with mechanical gremlins but when he got his bike going he had a good win!

( IMO he shouldn't be a reserve, I think his avarage dropped because of the mechanical problem he seems to be bugged with, if he can get his bikes going he will be a real bonus for us at No 7!)

Overall encouraging and I think against every other team in the league we will be fighting for the points but against Dudley last night we stood no chance! Well done to them for putting a great team together and congratulations on winning the title this year ;)

On the question of Adam Roynon, personally I enjoyed watching him ride last night even though he was never challenged, The same with The Worrall Brothers and Jason Garrity when they visited, not good for racing but great to watch and appreciate their class!

PS

Great to see Matt Read there last night, looking well and still enjoying being involved in the sport.

Edited by Jef

PS

Great to see Matt Read there last night, looking well and still enjoying being involved in the sport.

Indeed it was great to see Matt there last night looking good as indeed it was Mark Simmonds too who is on holiday on the Island with his family. Mark told me he's fully recovered from his last bad knock and, indeed, had had a skid BUT he said he is definitely NOT going to make a comeback.

As to the match itself, well not much you can say really apart from a comprehensive win for the Heathens and a comprehensive defeat for the Wightlink Islanders who never looked likely to win! Ah well, at least they've got something to aim at that being pulling back a mere 28 point deficit in the forthcoming second leg of the KO Cup semi at Smallbrook! :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

Now to be serious for a moment, what do Heathens fans see as the future for the club? WILL they be able to find a venue of their own? WILL they move out of the NL if so? Just interested in people's thoughts (and hopefully, the return of pork sarnies at a speedway track!).

Well id say the aim is to get our own track then move up leagues for sure.

I think everybody will realise that as the aim, but what are the chances of that aim being achieved is the question!

Just seen the Dudley combined team average on the bspa site its a whopping 50.16 .and Roynon is on 11 .70 ..What team in this division would have a prayer against that..Good luck to them though they are within the rules...However it does make you wonder about those rules ? ..It would be interesting to see them take on a Premier league side at home to see how much strengthening they would need to compete in that league.....

Edited by waco

If you asked half of the promotions in the league they will tell you its a development league,there more rookie in the league this year than recent one which points towards development

The thing is that British disease of stepping down rather than stepping up,which was installed in many by Guardian reading liberal ** during the late 90`s is evident in the NL,

The better riders in the NL need to be in the PL and maybe the EL,Not scoring huge points in the NL,sunday was a classic example,the highly rated Lewis Blackbird has stepped up in the PL[well done],first chane he has hes back in the NL pairs on his home track!!! is that doing him any good???

You'd better tell the SCB then, who still refer to it as the National Development League in the 2012 regulations at least once! The name aside, I'm sure you would accept that development of riders is part of its reason for existence. Obviously that would not be at the same level as the ADL and MDL you mention.

That was a dominant performance, and the Islanders were not helped by machine problems more or less throughout the whole team, namely off the top of my head, Danny Warwick, Kyle Hughes, Paul Starke, and Young Ellis, and those added to the massive scoreline, okay so Ashley Morris also suffered on one occasion, and without those the scoreline, if not the result would have been far more respectable, The Islanders never gave up, though the result was never in doubt from very early on in the meeting, The Track staff, and supporters were very fair minded, and The Heathens fans were there usual voiciferous self, and yes we to applauded IOW race wins, and when fallers cleared the Track, another first was to see Royno sitting in amongst the Heathens Fans "DURING" the actual meeting its no wonder the Fans think so much of him, what other Sport can you get this interaction ?, Royno is NO Prima Donna, and deserves everything he gets out of The Sport, Smallmead is probably the best standalone Race Track in the NL, and if you cant race on that, then you cant race anywhere. I will weather permitting be back again on other occasions.

It was a great day weather wise, enjoyed Part of Day spending a few quid at Gunwharf Quay Shopping Outlet on the Quayside at Portsmouth, then over to the Island to take in a nice Curry, before the Main Course at Smallmead, and what a win it was, everyone again played there part.

Alas greyhoundp, you've got your 'Smalls' mixed up! :lol: Try SmallBROOK :wink: although I, and many others wish SmallMEAD was still a speedway venue too.

Edited by Bryn