British Speedway Forum

I think they probably knew it was going to be called off after they had ran the fourth heat.

I think 95% of the fans new that as well.

At least they got another hour with the cafe open selling food and drinks! :)

And if they had called it off 10 minutes after the stoppage began, there would be pages about how much money it had cost to get to Owlerton (that's your fault for living so far away) and they didn't give it a chance to clear up.

Your questions would be better directed to the owners of the stadium; A & S Leisure Group.

Whilst that certainly is one course of action, the meeting itself was promoted by the BSPA under the auspices of Sheffield Speedway. I think it's up to them to explain why fans were treated so shamefully.

latest weather forecast says that we are due a dry weekend at Sheffield.

Spinny???

Spinny???

Wondered when that comment would come back to haunt me.

I never trust that Weatherman on Calender again.

I think 95% of the fans new that as well.

At least they got another hour with the cafe open selling food and drinks! :)

You dont have to buy them!!

They took them down as they were covered in shale and looked the same as the track,to help the rider they removed them to reveal the clear wire fence behind them

Interesting theory !

Interesting theory !

Not theory but fact.

With the dreadful weather this season, it would not have mattered whe this meeting was held, it would have been at risk. In general, though, the weather worsens as the season comes to an end.

Should consideration be given to holding the meeting early in the season, when riders are uninjured, and not exhausted, and use the finishing averages from the previous season for qualification?

Admittedly, it is possible that, because of changes in personnel, a team might not be represented, but there would be a better chance of a full quality line-up.

If, for economic reasons, it is important that every team is represented, then either the best rider in each team based on CMA from previous season could qualify, or, much more simple, hold the meeting mid-season so that the averages have settled, and top rider from each team.

The PLRC and ELRC are regularly weather-affected, and any re-staging is regularly populated by available riders, rather than good riders, making a mockery of the event, and making travelling from outposts only appetising with the best of weather forecasts.

So presumably they would have also removed the air fence, if they had one that is.

They haven't got an air fence, so that question is rather incidental and hypothetical, isn't it?

You miss the point .

And you miss the point. If what you might be insinuating was true, they would have taken all of the banners off. instead they removed the ones in the middle of the corner which are in the sight line of the riders, when entering the corner at speed.

Any more grouses.

• Like 1

The announcement about re-admission was basically this:

- Write to BSPA and you can get a refund

- Tickets will get you in to any BSPA shared event this year or next. Can be used for re-staging or ELRC at Swindon (That's the event at Swindon someone mentioned, re-staging isn't at Swindon!)

Only problem I had was that we were left waiting an hour for it to be officially called off when it was clear looking at the sky the rain wasn't going to stop and even if it did the track was a complete mess.

On a positive, first time at Sheffield and very impressed with the facilities.

Can't believe they didn't have air fences though!

Thanks for putting me straight. I misread a post on facebook about Swindon.

Pretty much agree with everything you have said here, although as I said I gave the promotion the benefit of the doubt regarding the delay.

As to the air fence (and I stand to be corrected) Sheffield I believe aren't permitted to use one.

With regard to the food situation, I am sure that is down to the stadium owners, not the council or the Sheffield promotion. King's Lynn certainly used to have a similar policy (although I have never known it to be enforced) and I agree with Shadders on that one - boycott the food and drink sales altogether.

• Like 3