British Speedway Forum

Why wouldn't you want a rider on a bargain average?

You won't win anything building a side on a rider's personality.

What's it got to do with his personality? I'm more confused with the fact that he's gone missing for a full season, yet there's still a load of fans who'd have him back! I'd be more worried whether he'd actually turn up and how a full season out would effect his performance.

Edited by spin king junior

What's it got to do with his personality? I'm more confused with the fact that he's gone missing for a full season, yet there's still a load of fans who'd have him back! I'd be more worried whether he'd actually turn up and how a full season out would effect his performance.

Ah most people who aren't fans of him coming back are so because he has a bit of a shady past. He's a talented rider, I'd expect he'd still be active riding moto x etc in Oz and at 19 he's still got time on his side.

the team i would like to see at Rye for 2013 would be

Doyle

Auty

Masters

Mellgren

Garrity

Morley or any 3.00 point rider

Lykke on a 4 point or below

the team i would like to see at Rye for 2013 would be

Doyle

Auty

Masters

Mellgren

Garrity

Morley or any 3.00 point rider

Lykke on a 4 point or below

Poor old Len would have a heart attack if he saw that line up ££££££££££££££££££

Auty turned the Rockets down this year because the package wasn't to his liking. I doubt he'll lower his demands for next year!

Edited by Shadders

i think after this season spend a bit to get the fans back through the gates! need to at least challenge for play-offs.

shame about Auty always rides well around Rye could be a good assest.

i think after this season spend a bit to get the fans back through the gates! need to at least challenge for play-offs.

shame about Auty always rides well around Rye could be a good assest.

It's a vicious circle Hodgie. Build a team cheaply and crowds will be low, sign a couple of top marque riders and they will return but ONLY if the club is properly promoted. By that I mean a total rethink of admission prices. Family tickets, a proper bar, efforts made to get stay away fans to return, a total revamp of the tired looking programme and a rethink of the match day presentation.

Maybe a suggestion box by the turnstiles to see what the people really want.

This winter is a marvellous opportunity to drag Rye House Speedway out of the doldrums. Let's hope it's not wasted.

I think they should play Those Magnificant Men in the flying machines on the Victory parade as well. Gives a sense of continuity. :D

I think they should play Those Magnificant Men in the flying machines on the Victory parade as well. Gives a sense of continuity. :D

Stick it in the suggestion box, or better still just stick it! ;)

Edited by Shadders
  • Like 2

Money Saving Ideas for Len.

1. Instead of having all those noisey Motorbikes and expensive riders - Continue with having the track staff and marshalls paraded around the track to the strains of 'Those Magnificent men in their flying machines' then two hours of of us all gripped with excitement watching Terry the start marshall check the starting gate and tapes, maybe a little practice of red flag waving, formation shale spreading from the buildup near the kick boards and finish off with a cescendo of Len driving round grading the track.

2. Saturday morning fishing contest in the river 'Lea' as most of the minnows caught will be just about the right size to be battered and sold as fish and chips in the Chippie.

3. Maybe some static exhibits of things like 'Bike Maintenace' from Steve Boxall, or tours of track from Tommy Allen showing all the spots where he fell off (if time is available), maybe Charlie G could give us a slide show of what I did during the summer (because he hasn't been at Rye House much.) The kids could have fun with a metal detector trying to find the non-metallic parts of Lukes legs (I am sure that he doesn't go to hospital anymore but Kev has got a big Meccano set at home ))).

Its been a bad season in most respects, injuries, weather and results. But it can only get better next year.

• Like 2

I think The Rye presentation lost its way when the Dog racing ceased at Hoddesdon. It was always good viewing to watch Uncle Lennie toss that £2 coin onto the dog track and watch x number of kids scrabbling around in amongst the dog sh1te trying to get it. Pure box office that. :rofl:

Edited by semion
  • Like 1

Money Saving Ideas for Len.

1. Instead of having all those noisey Motorbikes and expensive riders - Continue with having the track staff and marshalls paraded around the track to the strains of 'Those Magnificent men in their flying machines' then two hours of of us all gripped with excitement watching Terry the start marshall check the starting gate and tapes, maybe a little practice of red flag waving, formation shale spreading from the buildup near the kick boards and finish off with a cescendo of Len driving round grading the track.

2. Saturday morning fishing contest in the river 'Lea' as most of the minnows caught will be just about the right size to be battered and sold as fish and chips in the Chippie.

3. Maybe some static exhibits of things like 'Bike Maintenace' from Steve Boxall, or tours of track from Tommy Allen showing all the spots where he fell off (if time is available), maybe Charlie G could give us a slide show of what I did during the summer (because he hasn't been at Rye House much.) The kids could have fun with a metal detector trying to find the non-metallic parts of Lukes legs (I am sure that he doesn't go to hospital anymore but Kev has got a big Meccano set at home ))).

Its been a bad season in most respects, injuries, weather and results. But it can only get better next year.

A work of genius :D

I think it will take a winning team and some modernisation in presentation to get the fans back at Rye..To be fair bad luck has been a major problem this season,,,,But when support has been lost it is difficult to get back without a complete revamp of ideas ..Here,s hoping ?

the problem is, if you splash the cash on a decent team and the fans still don't come, you go bust just like newport. some speedway venues just go past their sell by date. i hope rye isn't one of them.

the problem is, if you splash the cash on a decent team and the fans still don't come, you go bust just like newport. some speedway venues just go past their sell by date. i hope rye isn't one of them.

I think Len is made of tougher stuff than the Newport promotion.. ,, But i get your point,,its a hard one to fathom...

If you don't splash the cash you have a pony team, no one comes and you go bust too, vicious circle really.

Len is the most experienced promoter in the game, compared to the Mallets at Newport who struggled.

These things are cyclical, we'll be back on top soon, let's just hope the presentation steps into the 21st century!