British Speedway Forum

The Marriot and Holiday Inn near the castle were asking £350 a room for the Friday and Saturday. Anyone who pays that seriously needs their head examined!

You can rent a studio flat for the month for that in the Bay!

About 3 years ago we paid £87 for the Holiday Inn and booked for the following year but it had gone up to £155. Decided after booking to go into the Halls at the Uni, and then found that the Holiday Inn had already taken the money non refundable as per the small print. Bloody robbers.

It really is ridiculous the prices these hotels are asking for what is basically bed and breakfast.

You can rent a studio flat for the month for that in the Bay!

Hmmm... Some people have it their head they that have to be bang on the centre of the city, but that comes at a premium

It really is ridiculous the prices these hotels are asking for what is basically bed and breakfast.

Hmmm... Some people have it their head they that have to be bang on the centre of the city, but that comes at a premium

Another prob next year is that the Halls at the UNI are not available, as June is the last month for the students. Been searching allday for a sensible alternative and there is nowt near that is. In the Bay SCB, some of the courts are £800 for 2 days and most city hotels are 'full' or are stupid prices. Eventually in a Travelodge for £39pn about 7 miles away. Now for the tickets, when everyone advises if they are going now. Last year I booked 31 repeat tickets together. Probably gone now.

We stayed at the Maldron this year. I phoned them first thing Tuesday morning to get prices/availability as the website was saying "no online availability". I was told that they were just updating (increasing) their prices and they'd come back to me during the week. I got a phone call today saying there was no availability as the Cardiff Convention Centre had just confirmed that they had booked the entire hotel. Apparently this was arranged 3 - 4 months ago. I've tried looking online and there is either no availability (probably the same reason as the Maldron) or you have to pay around £250 per night.

We stayed at the Maldron this year. I phoned them first thing Tuesday morning to get prices/availability as the website was saying "no online availability". I was told that they were just updating (increasing) their prices and they'd come back to me during the week. I got a phone call today saying there was no availability as the Cardiff Convention Centre had just confirmed that they had booked the entire hotel. Apparently this was arranged 3 - 4 months ago. I've tried looking online and there is either no availability (probably the same reason as the Maldron) or you have to pay around £250 per night.

Friend of mine booked the Maldron for myself and others a few days ago with ticket reference, so had rooms held back for Speedway.

Edited by topaz325

Friend of mine booked the Maldron for myself and others a few days ago with ticket reference, so had rooms held back for Speedway.

Interesting, I was told there was no availability for Speedway at all. Maybe I'll try again and talk to a different person. Thanks

Interesting, I was told there was no availability for Speedway at all. Maybe I'll try again and talk to a different person. Thanks

I think it was Tuesday when he booked the rooms.

I would check out any accommodation up to 10 or 15 miles around Cardiff.

I think it was Tuesday when he booked the rooms.

I rang the Maldron again yesterday. They said that there was a link you could click on when buying tickets. A few managed to book this way before the big convention was confirmed. She said they definitely have not booked any speedway fans in directly through the hotel.

She also mentioned that the convention was known about when they agreed the speedway date and that a lot of the hotels would be booked up leaving a lot of people going to speedway with nowhere to stay.

I guess we'll be trying further afield as you suggest A Orlov.

I rang the Maldron again yesterday. They said that there was a link you could click on when buying tickets. A few managed to book this way before the big convention was confirmed. She said they definitely have not booked any speedway fans in directly through the hotel.

She also mentioned that the convention was known about when they agreed the speedway date and that a lot of the hotels would be booked up leaving a lot of people going to speedway with nowhere to stay.

I guess we'll be trying further afield as you suggest A Orlov.

I have tried every link and website going for the last 3 days and resorted to looking further afield. I managed to get a double room for £80 with free parking ,breakfast,great reviews and free cancellation up to 2 days before. The downside being that a taxi back will be required as we like a few drinkies :drink::lol: and it's about 11 miles away.but having missed Cardiff this year I don't want to risk the same again. I would post the link for the hotel but I got the last room.

Roll on 2013 :t:

• Like 1

Try camping at Lavernock point, 30 minute bus ride to stadium, costs 20 quid per night, per person

Camping is for scouts and tramps. No sane adult should contemplate sleeping outside in this country, waking up to wet grass and having to crap in a bucket.

Edited by Shadders

If buying tickets online the link for discounted hotel rooms works very well --- The Ibis is £65 per room per night and there is a varied selection of hotel rooms.(I just have to cancel my 1st one now!)

Camping is for scouts and tramps. No sane adult should contemplate sleeping outside in this country, waking up to wet grass and having to crap in a bucket.

And so sane adults will pay well over the odds for hotel / rubbishty BnB, hmm, makes sense. And i got it wrong, 10 quid per person, per night.

Regards,

Mick, your local friendly, bucket crapping tramp xx

Edited by horneymikh
  • Like 2

Was like that in the 60s/70s, from my experience in the scouts and Reading festivals, but I've been told it's relative luxury these days. Bucket-crapping has long gone, unless you're in the SAS ! Dunno why peeps pay these inflated prices in the city when they can stay further afield, or alternatively get a train or coach home if they want a few bevvies.