British Speedway Forum

Its great to see Plymouth finally having a competitive all round Team, and whilst Bech will no doubts grab the headlines, I myself am particuarly happy to see Jake Anderson finally scoring some consistant points. I have never been able to understand why he always struggled to score more than the odd point or two in the PL, over the last 5/6 meetings both for Plymouth and as a guest for others, he has been winning races, and undoutably his confidence is growing, this in return has helped see Plymouth gaining points home and away, well done Jake, and go do some Ommering Plymouth... :wink:

My first trip to very sunny SBA. Healthy crowd turned out for Mikkel Bech Jensen's debut. My guess was the attendance was around 1200. Great little track although a big rut appeared on the entrance to bend 3 as the riders did their warm up laps. This hindered the racing up until heat 9 when the constant re grading improved it slightly. A much needed thumping win for the Devils though.

Pre match entertaintment was provided by a raging fire within a green VW Camper van on the A38 which has an elevated view of the track. A distraught driver of the vehicle stood and watched and a brave passer by attempted to put the blaze out without success. Trumpton arrived some 10 minutes later to applause from the crowd!

Meanwhile, Jensen went from last to first in his debut race for the Devils, and Screen went from first to last in his second ride. Try as he might, Joe, could not seem to get to grips with the track, although every race he was in it was pure entertainment.

mikkel Bech as he wants to be known, was an instant hit with the crowd and he certainly looked the part. He has natural balance, especially for one so tall and slender as he is. There is no doubt he will be a big hitter and the Devils fortunes will change. Their crowd deserve success as they are fair and sporting bunch that created a good atmosphere.

Good to see Todd Kurtz mixing it. I have been a critic of his recently, but he looked agressive last night, and didn't take too kindly to some rough treatment from Henning Bager, 3 times snapping at him after heat 8 had finished.

A nasty looking crash concluded the nights racing after Screeny lost control of his machine which in turn brought down the closely following Lemon. Fortunately both riders were up pretty quickly.

Will be back again soon hopefully. Ben Barker's return might be a bit spicy! :t:

• Like 1

Pleased you enjoyed yourself English Roundabout. Pretty fair assessment of things.

Saw the VW van on fire as I approached SBA, with fire brigade in attendance!

The crowd was back up to pre PL days. Good to see.

The track was terrible up to Ht9,hence the race, grading, race, grading throughout the meeting. Too much dirt and over watering making it rut up badly on turns 3/4 in particular.

Sold out of programmes by the time I got there, or so I was told. Later in the meeting, Promoter Ashley Taylor did walk round with some. The PA system needs looking at. We could barely hear Graham Hambly throughout, as background music was drowning him out.

I wish the same could be said of that awful presenter. Sadly he butted in many times and spoilt it for us. Why oh why cant he make an effort with foreign riders names? Just ask the rider how you pronounce it! He called Henning 'badger, bagger' not once the correct way of BAYER. Very annoying.

A couple of racing incidents to mention. Schramm closed the door hard on Grieves in one race. Very hard indeed, although nothing like the way he stuffed Newman the other week. Big cheer went up around us. Yet when Bager did exactly the same to Kurtz, they wanted his head. Both moves bordered on dangerous, in my opinion.

Bech looks the part already. With riders bouncing all over the place, except straight on, he went from 4th to 1st in Ht3. He looks like a raw Bo Petersen, with his long gangly legs. He said he liked the 'rough and bumpy' surface. He did tail off a little in the slick conditions after Ht9.

Really felt sorry for Magnus in Ht13. He was in 3rd going into 3rd turn lap1.The two Tigers ahead of him both made mistakes, and as he lined himself up to take both, Lemon took his line and left him no room. He did extremely well stay on his bike.

Overall, you have say that it was, for once, a TEAM effort that won the day. All 7 riders winning at least one race.

the track last night was heavy early on due to the amount of water required to combat any dust issues that may of arisen do to the brilliant weather,mbj requested the track to be left as he was enjoying him self with the amount of material in the track but in general the rest of the riders were struggling to deal with the grip.There wasnt any ruts or holes in the track as some have said the track was just berming up do to the amount of material the water had created(riders moan when the track is slick but with todays bikes & style of racing they struggle wen they do come across a grippy track)no riders had an issue with the amount of water put down & I'm sure the crowd were happy not to be covered in dust.The track was difficult early on but that worked in favour of the devils as that's when they built up there advantage,there has been meetings with alot better racing @ Plymouth but more often than not the away team have gone on to win the meeting so maybe you have to give up a little bit of entertainment to gain some results,Glasgow really came into the meeting after the track started to slicken off so that speaks for its self.Before any starts spouting anymore rubbish as well I worked on the track before & during the meeting & also rode in the second half so I'd say I can see it from both sides of things & give a fair veiw/insight.

Pleased you enjoyed yourself English Roundabout. Pretty fair assessment of things.

The track was terrible up to Ht9,hence the race, grading, race, grading throughout the meeting. Too much dirt and over watering making it rut up badly on turns 3/4 in particular.

Sold out of programmes by the time I got there, or so I was told. Later in the meeting, Promoter Ashley Taylor did walk round with some. The PA system needs looking at. We could barely hear Graham Hambly throughout, as background music was drowning him out.

I wish the same could be said of that awful presenter. Sadly he butted in many times and spoilt it for us. Why oh why cant he make an effort with foreign riders names? Just ask the rider how you pronounce it! He called Henning 'badger, bagger' not once the correct way of BAYER. Very annoying.

A couple of racing incidents to mention. Schramm closed the door hard on Grieves in one race. Very hard indeed, although nothing like the way he stuffed Newman the other week. Big cheer went up around us. Yet when Bager did exactly the same to Kurtz, they wanted his head. Both moves bordered on dangerous, in my opinion.

Bech looks the part already. With riders bouncing all over the place, except straight on, he went from 4th to 1st in Ht3. He looks like a raw Bo Petersen, with his long gangly legs. He said he liked the 'rough and bumpy' surface. He did tail off a little in the slick conditions after Ht9.

Really felt sorry for Magnus in Ht13. He was in 3rd going into 3rd turn lap1.The two Tigers ahead of him both made mistakes, and as he lined himself up to take both, Lemon took his line and left him no room. He did extremely well stay on his bike.

Overall, you have say that it was, for once, a TEAM effort that won the day. All 7 riders winning at least one race.

So are you suggesting we have his predecessor back? :o Agree with you though, it would be worth checking with a rider how his name is pronounced before the meeting starts.

Edited by ancient mariner

actually agree with most of your post especially about the pa leave it to graham hambly this new bloke has no idea imo

the track last night was heavy early on due to the amount of water required to combat any dust issues that may of arisen do to the brilliant weather,mbj requested the track to be left as he was enjoying him self with the amount of material in the track but in general the rest of the riders were struggling to deal with the grip.There wasnt any ruts or holes in the track as some have said the track was just berming up do to the amount of material the water had created(riders moan when the track is slick but with todays bikes & style of racing they struggle wen they do come across a grippy track)no riders had an issue with the amount of water put down & I'm sure the crowd were happy not to be covered in dust.The track was difficult early on but that worked in favour of the devils as that's when they built up there advantage,there has been meetings with alot better racing @ Plymouth but more often than not the away team have gone on to win the meeting so maybe you have to give up a little bit of entertainment to gain some results,Glasgow really came into the meeting after the track started to slicken off so that speaks for its self.Before any starts spouting anymore rubbish as well I worked on the track before & during the meeting & also rode in the second half so I'd say I can see it from both sides of things & give a fair veiw/insight.

'Spouting anymore rubbish'? It is called giving an opinion. I admit i have no intimate knowledge of track preparation , but i do have decent eyesight and a pretty good understanding of the sport, and can also give a fair view. I stood in the temporary stand on the backstraight just prior to the entrance to the third bend, and i can tell you there was a large rut there! Cory Gathercole hit it twice, and both times it put him out of shape.

Sure enough Glasgow came good later in the meeting, but that was also due to their better gating, which early on was indifferent.

When the riders came out for the second half there was no material left on the inside of the track, so you can't judge the track going on the second half rides.

When the riders came out for the second half there was no material left on the inside of the track, so you can't judge the track going on the second half rides.

Hence there wasn't any holes or ruts just alot of heavy material on the track early doors do to the amount of water put down due to the weather & trying to control the dust of which there wasn't any all evening.if there were holes in the track they would of still been there @ the end of the night ! ! ! !

Ty Proctor has said his return to action will take longer than expected....so do Plymouth continue using guests at 1 or look for a replacement?

By asking this question I am not suggesting for one minute Ty should be replaced but throwing a hypothetical question into the ring!

This next post is not in any way shape or form digging at our curretn riders but having seen riders now at the SBA and creating a good to for Plymouth how good would this team be at SBA .... ?

1- Ben Barker

2-Todd Jurtz

3- Mikkel Bech

4- Cory Gathercole

5- Ricky Wells

6- Chris Scrham

7- Jake anderson

Totaling = 41.23

If we wanted to as well you could replace scrahm with a rider at 5.21, allowing Kurtz to go back in to reserve making us look very strong exspecially around the sba. Barker is proberbly the rest rider at the SBA. Wells when he was he has proven he can ride well same as cory. Beech can only get sronger. Todd and ando have been suberb lately whitch can hopefully continue. Schram is also solid but id rather have todd at reserve and sign someone on a higher average,

As i said its not having a go at the management or team or anything of the sort, as im fully behind the devils e4specially after the signing of Beech and other top riders. Just a bit of fun from how well riders have done before at the sba.

This next post is not in any way shape or form digging at our curretn riders but having seen riders now at the SBA and creating a good to for Plymouth how good would this team be at SBA .... ?

1- Ben Barker

2-Todd Jurtz

3- Mikkel Bech

4- Cory Gathercole

5- Ricky Wells

6- Chris Scrham

7- Jake anderson

Totaling = 41.23

If we wanted to as well you could replace scrahm with a rider at 5.21, allowing Kurtz to go back in to reserve making us look very strong exspecially around the sba. Barker is proberbly the rest rider at the SBA. Wells when he was he has proven he can ride well same as cory. Beech can only get sronger. Todd and ando have been suberb lately whitch can hopefully continue. Schram is also solid but id rather have todd at reserve and sign someone on a higher average,

As i said its not having a go at the management or team or anything of the sort, as im fully behind the devils e4specially after the signing of Beech and other top riders. Just a bit of fun from how well riders have done before at the sba.

Is Beech the local ale that they were selling in the portakabin?

Is Beech the local ale that they were selling in the portakabin?

No - 'Tiger' Beech. Former Rayleigh 'Rocket'. :wink::blink:

Edited by The White Knight

No - 'Tiger' Beech. Former Rayleigh 'Rocket'. :wink::blink:

Thought i'd heard it somewhere before. Took a chance signing him TWK..... ;)

• Like 1