British Speedway Forum
Friddy75

Sheffield 2013

I totally agree with yorkshire tyke's post so i am going to give my opinion now.

In my opinion - Hoggart you are no good at team building, useless in fact. My wife could put together a better 1-7 than you. I feel that you are destroying what was once a force of a club. If team changes arent made then I am going to be £30+ better off each week because I refuse to come and pay to see this humiliation each week.

For the past few seasons now Hoggart has been left in charge while Neil jets off to OZ and look at whats happened.

Hoggy has to go, we need a decent solid team manager and a couple of team changes and fast.

Do you (and others) actually have any real evidence that Dave Hoggart is solely responsible for Sheffield's team building ?

If not, you are merely speculating and the comments you are making about him are both unjustifiable and unfair.

Neil Machin is as much Sheffield's promoter as Dave Hoggart is - indeed, in my understanding, far more so.

If you wish to start throwing blame about - and I really don't think that is at all necessary at this stage of the season - then make sure your allegations rest on reasonable fact not unfounded hearsay, gossip or guesswork and target the right person(s).

I have been critical of Hoggy for bulling his team up and making unrealistically optimistic press releases that neither he nor the team can make good. But if these comments are speculation, he deserves better.

• Like 2

Regarding Ashworth as far as we are aware Kennett is a short term replacement unti Ricky is fit to ride again whenever that may be.

Do you (and others) actually have any real evidence that Dave Hoggart is solely responsible for Sheffield's team building ?

If not, you are merely speculating and the comments you are making about him are both unjustifiable and unfair.

Neil Machin is as much Sheffield's promoter as Dave Hoggart is - indeed, in my understanding, far more so.

If you wish to start throwing blame about - and I really don't think that is at all necessary at this stage of the season - then make sure your allegations rest on reasonable fact not unfounded hearsay, gossip or guesswork and target the right person(s).

I have been critical of Hoggy for bulling his team up and making unrealistically optimistic press releases that neither he nor the team can make good. But if these comments are speculation, he deserves better.

I think that you will find that it is Dave Hoggart who has put the teams together and has done for the last three seasons to my knowledge.and if you believe the press releases, Neil will have given him a budget to work within

Onto the team, it looks like the gamble of putting in three riders on assessed averages may not be paying off.

I think the Team Management should shoulder some of the blame, after the Press and Practice it was obvious to everyone that Albin looked better than Koppe around Sheffield, most people know that in this sort of situation you put your stronger rider at reserve because they can get extra rides far more easier.

At Sheffield over the years we have had a rider riding at the number 2 position who have been strong gaters (Skidmore and Wilson), Joe Haines is a good trapper why was he not put into the number 2 riding position.

Hall is great at Sheffield and Wells is great away, why don't they alternate the two for the number 5 position, Hall at 5 for home meetings and Wells for away meetings.

Simple and easy tactics that play to your teams strengths, something that the present Team Management seem incapable to do with their one dimensional thinking.

I can understand the frustration of fans calling for 3 to 4 changes to the team, but I think that we simply need to make one change and the teams fortunes will change, but we are going to have to wait for the assessed riders averages to become true averages. By that time we will have lots of points to play around with, and by simply releasing one of the reserves we can replace that rider with some with an average between 6 and 7.5 depending on which reserve we release.

If we do it now we looking at a lot less points to replace anyone, but if we wait just a little bit longer we could be looking at bringing.in someone decent at 2nd string, and then move Joe Haines to 2 and Albin at reserve, and for me that would transform the team.

Edited by spin king
  • Like 3

It appears that Machin has lost his way or interest in Speedway and I think it shows as he rarely writes a piece anywhere no more.

Seems to have handed most the responsibility over to Hoggart which is proving to be a massive mistake. We have slowly gone downhill since he slid his way into the promotion.

Then to makes matters worse he is now joint team manager and both of them can't put 1 good idea together. They are NOT speedway managers!!

Changes are needed badly starting with the team manager then the team because if not then I fear we will have no speedway at owlerton at all for us to discuss.

Please sort this mess out.

I totally agree with yorkshire tyke's post so i am going to give my opinion now.

In my opinion - Hoggart you are no good at team building, useless in fact. My wife could put together a better 1-7 than you. I feel that you are destroying what was once a force of a club. If team changes arent made then I am going to be £30+ better off each week because I refuse to come and pay to see this humiliation each week.

For the past few seasons now Hoggart has been left in charge while Neil jets off to OZ and look at whats happened.

Hoggy has to go, we need a decent solid team manager and a couple of team changes and fast.

Firstly, Odsalboy you have excelled yourself again when it comes to going into print before thinking. You clearly have a very short memory. If you believe that David Hoggart is solely responsible for the team building then in 2011 he built one of the best teams on paper that Sheffield has ever had. Unfortunately the riders didn't deliver and we STILL finished second.

They made a massive error in 2012 letting Ashworth go, but there are several rumours about why that had to happen. The year before In 2010, they won the pairs and reached the final of the fours. so I don't think it was too shoddy then.

Yorkshire Tyke, I think your right about Neil Machin losing interest, so would I if I was losing money and getting sh** every week from people. I could cope with one of these if I was him but not both. Expect the shutters to go up if both continue. Sadly it is the vocal minority who Messrs Machin and Hoggart listen to.

There is no doubt things need to change. So far all 4 of the gambles have not delivered regularly, so any or all of the bottom 4 are vulnerable. But they need to wait for the averages to change. I am sure they will change things as soon as they are able because if things don't change the inevitable would happen. Hopefully they will have had their eyes peeled over recent weeks and will have some ideas as to who they need to bring in and who to drop.

As for all the positive noises in the press (if it's true), the promotion knew they couldn't change anyone until the assessed riders had proper averages, so they're hardly going to slag them off whilst they still needed them to try and at least score some points are they?

Edited by Stan Duppcomic

Firstly, Odsalboy you have excelled yourself again when it comes to going into print before thinking. You clearly have a very short memory. If you believe that David Hoggart is solely responsible for the team building then in 2011 he built one of the best teams on paper that Sheffield has ever had. Unfortunately the riders didn't deliver and we STILL finished second.

They made a massive error in 2012 letting Ashworth go, but there are several rumours about why that had to happen. The year before In 2010, they won the pairs and reached the final of the fours. so I don't think it was too shoddy then.

Yorkshire Tyke, I think your right about Neil Machin losing interest, so would I if I was losing money and getting sh** every week from people. I could cope with one of these if I was him but not both. Expect the shutters to go up if both continue. Sadly it is the vocal minority who Messrs Machin and Hoggart listen to.

There is no doubt things need to change. So far all 4 of the gambles have not delivered regularly, so any or all of the bottom 4 are vulnerable. But they need to wait for the averages to change. I am sure they will change things as soon as they are able because if things don't change the inevitable would happen. Hopefully they will have had their eyes peeled over recent weeks and will have some ideas as to who they need to bring in and who to drop.

As for all the positive noises in the press (if it's true), the promotion knew they couldn't change anyone until the assessed riders had proper averages, so they're hardly going to slag them off whilst they still needed them to try and at least score some points are they?

Firstly I do not have a problem with Neil Machin I think he has done wonders for Sheffield Speedway and gave us a team to be proud of majority of the time. I do feel time as Sheffield promoter maybe coming to a end especially as the crowds have dropped dramatically over the last 2 years.

I think you will find that MANY Sheffield fans don't take to Hoggart very well. He doesn't take constructive critisism good and some of his press releases you have to wonder does the guy know what he is talking about.

I hate to point fingers and all that but I'm afraid all I care about is Sheffield Speedway and I feel we have been in decline since he came in. Yes we had a good team in 2011 and didn't win anything but we wasn't in trouble then with crowd levels. I just don't want us to shut down and have no racing at all. I hated no speedway from 88 - 91 and would hate this to happen again.

Firstly I do not have a problem with Neil Machin I think he has done wonders for Sheffield Speedway and gave us a team to be proud of majority of the time. I do feel time as Sheffield promoter maybe coming to a end especially as the crowds have dropped dramatically over the last 2 years.

I think you will find that MANY Sheffield fans don't take to Hoggart very well. He doesn't take constructive critisism good and some of his press releases you have to wonder does the guy know what he is talking about.

I hate to point fingers and all that but I'm afraid all I care about is Sheffield Speedway and I feel we have been in decline since he came in. Yes we had a good team in 2011 and didn't win anything but we wasn't in trouble then with crowd levels. I just don't want us to shut down and have no racing at all. I hated no speedway from 88 - 91 and would hate this to happen again.

I don't think that Neil has lost interest in the club, he probably takes a bit more of a back seat role, but he still there and still interested.

Dave Hoggart, will have been given a budget to put the team together and will have to work within that budget set by Neil himself, and Neil been Neil will only spend what the club can afford.

For me the team just needs to change very slightly, I can understand the reasoning behind the assessed riders, which was to bring fresh blood into the club assets.

I just don't feel that the Team Managers play to our strengths, and the club badly needs a new Team Manager.

Dave Hoggart is an excellent presenter/ centre green man, but he ain't no Team Manager, lets get a new Manager in and get Dave Hoggart doing what he does best.

I think that you will find that it is Dave Hoggart who has put the teams together and has done for the last three seasons to my knowledge.and if you believe the press releases, Neil will have given him a budget to work within

No reason to doubt your word, Martin - you know a lot more about it than I do.

The only thing is that as Hoggy is building a team to a budget, he can't be solely responsible for it.

Very difficult to argue with your view of team selection :approve:

Edited by Halifaxtiger

What rumours are they then??? Always 2 sides to a story

what average would andre compton come in on iof he were to be tempted back?

He finished 2010 season on 5.97, I would guess that after reductions it would be around 5.5

Very much doubt if Compton will be back. Would be interesting to see what the reaction is to any Sheffield rider who fails to deliver, on Thursday against National League opposition.

Very much doubt if Compton will be back. Would be interesting to see what the reaction is to any Sheffield rider who fails to deliver, on Thursday against National League opposition.

I don't think that htis will be the full Sheffield team, I am sure that read that Joe Haines, Facu Albin, Jake Knight and Damien Koppe are riding.

I would imagine that Jordan Tyrer will get a run out, and they might give young Kiwi Hayden Sims a go as well.

I don't think that htis will be the full Sheffield team, I am sure that read that Joe Haines, Facu Albin, Jake Knight and Damien Koppe are riding.

I would imagine that Jordan Tyrer will get a run out, and they might give young Kiwi Hayden Sims a go as well.

The Sheffield team is the four mentioned riders plus three national league youngsters according to the Dudley website