British Speedway Forum
Friddy75

Sheffield 2013

You're right of course, but those who were at the STAARs meeting the other night will have heard how parlous the situation is. They have a 3 point strategy for survival. 1. Win at home, 2 build the asset base, 3 control the finances.

This season is about guerrilla tactics for survival, and that means winning at home to keep the several hundred more that go to HOME meetings happy.The view shared at STAARs was that you won't get a better rider round Owlerton on an average as low as Richard's (which obviously has the downside of his away form in the past). If this is the last throw of the dice they HAVE to win at home and anything else is a bonus. Not great but reality.

Thanks for that Sparky. A good insight.

Some people here need to get in touch with the reality of the situation, deal with it, and get behind the team we have.

• Like 5

Some people here need to get in touch with the reality of the situation, deal with it, and get behind the team we have.

the only problem i can see with this is at least keeping the numbers from last year, if some supporters dont see any improvement in either results or entertainment more could vote with their feet.

winning the league has never been a priority for me, winning it twice in 44 years shows this, but i do want to be entertained, and i know you could argue that Richard will provide this, he was nearly a one man show in the PLRC, i think many wanted someone that could offer a little more.

i hope i am wrong, and the enthusiasm from Knight and Koppe on thursday night does them a lot of credit, and i hope some people on me can say i told you so, but i am not totally convinced yet.

We will all see in March

You're right of course, but those who were at the STAARs meeting the other night will have heard how parlous the situation is. They have a 3 point strategy for survival. 1. Win at home, 2 build the asset base, 3 control the finances.

This season is about guerrilla tactics for survival, and that means winning at home to keep the several hundred more that go to HOME meetings happy.The view shared at STAARs was that you won't get a better rider round Owlerton on an average as low as Richard's (which obviously has the downside of his away form in the past). If this is the last throw of the dice they HAVE to win at home and anything else is a bonus. Not great but reality.

Thank you for making this public knowledge, and maybe the Promotion should make it more public knowledge rather than sending out mixed messages, not everyone can or attend the STAARS nights.

The reasoning for using Richard Hall is fine if the objective is to win all the home meetings then I think that they have ensure that Richard Hall rides at number 5 at home not at number 4.

Lets have a Team Manager that thinks tactically.

Edited by spin king
  • Like 1

The reality of the situation is that a poor team was responsible for the disastrous drop in gates last season, but that seems to have been repeated.

I'd say there is a doubt whether that team is good enough to win at home on the scale needed.

If richard halls form at home was that good why was he not used at no.5 and riding in heat 13 against the opposing heat leaders ? instead he was at no.4 riding in heat 14 a much easier heat therefore inflating his average !!!! this from a rider who stated at the start of the season that he wanted to be no.1.he achieved that having more easier races than the other heat leaders.will it be the same next season if him and wells sign.? personally iwould rather have dak north or heffenbrock.

Thank you for making this public knowledge, and maybe the Promotion should make it more public knowledge rather than sending out mixed messages, not everyone can or attend the STAARS nights.

The reasoning for using Richard Hall is fine if the objective is to win all the home meetings then I think that they have ensure that Richard Hall rides at number 5 at home not at number 4.

Lets have a Team Manager that thinks tactically.

I heard that Richard Hall would only ride at number 4 last season (was it in his contract?). If that was the case it doesn't allow a team manager to think tactically.

No rider should be able to dictate in that fashion - it is imperative that the team manager should have a free hand regarding positions in the team, tactical and heat 15 rides.

I would also add that Hugh Skidmore was vilified for refusing to ride in Heat 15 at Somerset. He himself told me that the reason was that he did not have a bike fit to ride. This apparently was ignored by the powers that be on the night.

I heard that Richard Hall would only ride at number 4 last season (was it in his contract?). If that was the case it doesn't allow a team manager to think tactically.

No rider should be able to dictate in that fashion - it is imperative that the team manager should have a free hand regarding positions in the team, tactical and heat 15 rides.

I would also add that Hugh Skidmore was vilified for refusing to ride in Heat 15 at Somerset. He himself told me that the reason was that he did not have a bike fit to ride. This apparently was ignored by the powers that be on the night.

not for the last time, there seemed to be a complete lack of understanding from the team managers last season on a few matters.

as SK said a team manager that can manage and not bow to the whims of individuals is a must, but when did we last have a real team manager?

• Like 3

when did we last have a real team manager?

I was on the point of replying Frank Varey, until I remembered one of our ex-riders.

John Dews!

• Like 1

When did we last have a real team manager?

2011 Eric Boocock, when we also had a good competitive team, a good presenter and better crowds.

When did we last have a real team manager?

2011 Eric Boocock, when we also had a good competitive team, a good presenter and better crowds.

have to disagree i am afraid, i was thinking of terry thornhill

• Like 1

have to disagree i am afraid, i was thinking of terry thornhill

The last time I saw Terry he was driving buses.

There is a Team Manager stood on the terraces every Thursday who I think would do a good job.

Jack Lee.

• Like 2

There is a Team Manager stood on the terraces every Thursday who I think would do a good job.

Jack Lee.

Or Berwick reject Dave Peet if you want to add to the doom and gloom

• Like 1

So are we realistically looking at Hall and Wells as the last spots?

Jack Lee.

and someone else who is there most Thursdays, Garry Stead

Edited by The Third Man
  • Like 1