British Speedway Forum
Derwent

Comets In Trouble

There are a number of stockcar tracks that run weekly, indeed some, particularly in the holiday season running a couple of times a week.

The key difference isn't the commitment, it's the financial outlay. In all but the really top formulas, the competitors will pay an entry fee to compete. So all the promoter has to provide is some trophies and possibly some prize money - often covered by sponsorship. Indeed the same is often true for club grasstrack meetings.

Somehow I would doubt if the average speedway rider would agree to pay an entrance fee to race, and accept the odd trophy and a bit of prize money for their time and trouble.

Given that, and the current economic situation is it reasonable to expect promotions to try and put on a show every week? Are 25-30 home meetings still viable? I think there are a lot of people reaching the conclusion, that less is probably more.

Nail on the head.

I love my fix of speedway, but I don't go every week as I have a life, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

For the promoters who run speedway at venues that they don't own the future looks bleak.

We will no doubt learn from our mistakes, just wasn't sure at the time that there would be another meeting. Hopefully the first of many

Could be if you don;t want to que, keep your ticket and it's a fiver next week!!!!

If there is 700 people queuing up I will be a happy man, but thanks for the support

is 700 enough to get your fiver back ?

Probably best to have presented the readmission ticket at the next meeting, and getting a fiver off. Much easier and less frustration and admin.

Not trying to knock the offer though.

sounds the easiest option, but, then people have to pay £25 for 2 matches = £12.50 per match

cash back via redemption,,, pay £15 one week, then £10 the next, then £10 the next, and so on,,,,

it might keep fans coming back, but they'll never get the original fiver back,,,

Best of luck whatever happens :-)

im affraid davidj has the same atittude that mr denham has every body that dosnt have the same opinion as them is wrong

we all want all clubs to survive its the only way clubs can run if theres another to race against

thats my thought too its the best way to get them going on a regular basis

No not really I'l just never agree with you or Backless or ....quite a few really on here :P

Edited by davidj

is 700 enough to get your fiver back ?

sounds the easiest option, but, then people have to pay £25 for 2 matches = £12.50 per match

cash back via redemption,,, pay £15 one week, then £10 the next, then £10 the next, and so on,,,,

it might keep fans coming back, but they'll never get the original fiver back,,,

Best of luck whatever happens :-)

Why so complicated Just do what Berwick are doing £10 entry ,end of story see how many turn up
  • Like 2

Why so complicated Just do what Berwick are doing £10 entry ,end of story see how many turn up

So if the normal size crowd turned up 400-600 the managment would be worse off.

• Like 2

You can't have your cake and eat,it that not the gamble you take.Not showing alot of faith in the fans IMO.Accepted that it could go wrong though.

You can't have your cake and eat,it that not the gamble you take.Not showing alot of faith in the fans IMO.Accepted that it could go wrong though.

Thats right but no guarantees that a big crowd would turn up for £10.00 a head

Nothings guaranteed but anythings worth a try isn't it? Newcomers are more likely to be encouraged to attend with friends if its "only" a tenner.

Another options which all promotions could think about is Tenner for away supporters if they show their season tickets, which would help others promotions to sell season tickets and help with the continued lack of away support from high fuel costs.

Its not just Workington in trouble so its time that all the BSPA members help each other out rather than looking after number 1

• Like 4

I seem to remember a swelled crowd

Turning up at Newport for a PL meeting last year when the price was reduced to a tenner but for some bizarre reason the prices were back to normal the weekend after!!!

• Like 1

Being Honest I wasn't sure if it would pay off when Berwick announced it.It has certainly had an effect at Berwick definately noticeable increase in attendance.John Anderson comment on the website today is relevent I would say in the fact that letting under 16's in free when acompanied with a Adult makes it viable for a whole Family to attend whereas paying for ALL tha family would not be possible in a lot of Households.Being the shrewd business people that the Berwick Promotion now that they do their own catering and bar helps make up for the shortfall quite a bit I would imagine.Sincerly hope you get adecent attendance for the rest of the season and Iwill be making the effort to get to the Berwick fixture as I do enjoy the racing at Worky.
  • Like 1

..or dont then the losses are even bigger.

Believe me i do hope its working and i am wrong.

Nothings guaranteed but anythings worth a try isn't it? Newcomers are more likely to be encouraged to attend with friends if its "only" a tenner.

Another options which all promotions could think about is Tenner for away supporters if they show their season tickets, which would help others promotions to sell season tickets and help with the continued lack of away support from high fuel costs.

Its not just Workington in trouble so its time that all the BSPA members help each other out rather than looking after number 1

The tenner for away season ticket holders was tried a few years ago but, let's face it, these days a fiver towards your fuel for an away trip isn't going to fill anyone's car par these days.

Press release from Berwick today continues the tenner admission for the next two meetings.

It might not work everywhere, but it does appear to be working satisfactorily at Berwick - with a lower mid table team.

Edited by Backless

The tenner for away season ticket holders was tried a few years ago but, let's face it, these days a fiver towards your fuel for an away trip isn't going to fill anyone's car par these days.

It may only be a Fiver but how many supporters travel alone to away matches? Looking at google for a trip to Rye House from Ipswich, its 70 miles and costs £14, £28 return . 4 supporters traveling when they have to pay only a Tenner would then have total cost each of £17, saving about a tenner each, soon adds up........

Edited by 2ndbendbeerhut
  • Like 1

It may only be a Fiver but how many supporters travel alone to away matches? Looking at google for a trip to Rye House from Ipswich, its 70 miles and costs £14, £28 return . 4 supporters traveling when they have to pay only a Tenner would then have total cost each of £17, saving about a tenner each, soon adds up........

...dont forget the fish & chips!!!!