British Speedway Forum
f-s-p

Grand Prix Speedway In Finland 2014-2016

Is the sport enjoying a resurgence in FInland that i'm unaware of (pleasssse someone tell me so)?

A Finnish GP has been postulated for just about as long as the SGP has been running, so one can only assume the asking price has come down given that it's happening.now. I suppose a GP can potentially give the sport a bit of a push in the smaller nations, although it seems to vary from country-to-country.

I dont know why they bother with Warsaw never was and never will be a speedway city they tried to have a team there its just not a speedway city waste of time have it in any other polish city with proper speedway track

I suppose it could argued that Cardiff and Copenhagen are also not speedway cities, but the stadium is sufficient attraction. However, it didn't work for Gelsenkirchen, and the Gothenburg GP (whilst held in what was once a speedway city) seems to be dying a death.

If this is true, I for one, will be absolutely delighted! It'll be nice and easy to get a Ryanair flight from Edinburgh to Tampere; take the service bus from the airport to the railway station, before walking a shot distance to the stadium.

I can't wait!

WHY do you (Humphrey) assume that the asking price, which neither you nor I have any information on, has come down? It could just as easily be that those involved, including the local authorities in Tampere like those in many other towns or cities, see a value in having the SGP visit their location. There is currently no shortage of tracks, clubs, call them what you will, vying for the SGP.

If this is true, I for one, will be absolutely delighted! It'll be nice and easy to get a Ryanair flight from Edinburgh to Tampere; take the service bus from the airport to the railway station, before walking a shot distance to the stadium.

I can't wait!

For me it would travel by car.

A quick drive from Eskilstuna to Stockholm, then the overnight ferry to Åbo and then a 2 hour drive to Tammerfors.

Edited by Ghostwalker

WHY do you (Humphrey) assume that the asking price, which neither you nor I have any information on, has come down?

I'd find it surprising if someone directly involved in the SGP organisation didn't have some inclination about what the asking prices were. However, the Polish media are seemingly more questioning, and it's easy enough to find out what they're saying. Whilst one should certainly treat media speculation with a grain of salt, one can correlate this with publicly available figures to get some approximation.

There is currently no shortage of tracks, clubs, call them what you will, vying for the SGP.

That doesn't really mean too much in itself. If GP staging fees are tuppence ha'penny then there will undoubtedly be more interest than if the fees are several hundred thousand euros

A Finnish GP has been postulated for just about as long as the SGP has been running, so one can only assume the asking price has come down given that it's happening.now. I suppose a GP can potentially give the sport a bit of a push in the smaller nations, although it seems to vary from country-to-country.

I suppose it could argued that Cardiff and Copenhagen are also not speedway cities, but the stadium is sufficient attraction. However, it didn't work for Gelsenkirchen, and the Gothenburg GP (whilst held in what was once a speedway city) seems to be dying a death.

Not quite sure what you mean when you say the Gelsenkirchen GP did not work. I went to that GP (the one that took place) and it was a great weekend ,a terrific stadium with a great atmosphere and a good crowd. The only thing wrong was the racing, which to put it nicely was not very good . But since then the man made tracks have improved greatly. I dont think that Ullevi has ever recovered from the meeting that had to be aborted becauce the track resembled a ploughed field and was impossible to race on.

WELL Humphrey, if you believe everything you read in the Polish media .... the arrangements between BSI/IMG and the staging tracks/clubs are private and rightly so but if you care to believe what they speculate then that is your business.

I would, however, suggest that the more clubs/tracks/towns trying to get on the SGP calendar would ensure that the price stays higher rather than drops down. What I do know is that each case is dealt with on its merits.

I would certainly concur with mickthemuppet's comment about Ullevi. And add that the weather is always a huge factor there, allied to it's recent history. Stockholm will be a tough sell but at least BSI/IMG will know that all their efforts to pull in a crowd will not be affected by the weather.

Gothenburg as a city is fighting hard to retain some major sporting events now that Stockholm is the centre of attention but I would still be suprised if the SGP stayed there beyond 2013 and didn't return to Malilla where it has been very successful, especially for the club.

But by then Ole Olsen's hopes and plans for Vojens may have come to fruition, the Ratina Stadium in Tampere may have come on board, Togliatti might have resolved their issues (mainly travel and accessibility) and so on...

WELL Humphrey, if you believe everything you read in the Polish media .... the arrangements between BSI/IMG and the staging tracks/clubs are private and rightly so but if you care to believe what they speculate then that is your business.

I would, however, suggest that the more clubs/tracks/towns trying to get on the SGP calendar would ensure that the price stays higher rather than drops down. What I do know is that each case is dealt with on its merits.

I would certainly concur with mickthemuppet's comment about Ullevi. And add that the weather is always a huge factor there, allied to it's recent history. Stockholm will be a tough sell but at least BSI/IMG will know that all their efforts to pull in a crowd will not be affected by the weather.

Gothenburg as a city is fighting hard to retain some major sporting events now that Stockholm is the centre of attention but I would still be suprised if the SGP stayed there beyond 2013 and didn't return to Malilla where it has been very successful, especially for the club.

But by then Ole Olsen's hopes and plans for Vojens may have come to fruition, the Ratina Stadium in Tampere may have come on board, Togliatti might have resolved their issues (mainly travel and accessibility) and so on...

The bsi have a target but you can get them for a very good price at a lot of places as they have trouble finding a sponsor. 15k to 75k will get you a gp, just depends which one you want.

The bsi have a target but you can get them for a very good price at a lot of places as they have trouble finding a sponsor. 15k to 75k will get you a gp, just depends which one you want.

AEE you talking about as a sponsor or an organiser?

AEE you talking about as a sponsor or an organiser?

That is to sponsor a gp. series sponsor is 20k plus depending on what you want. bsi promote only a few gp like cardiff as there is no risk as its a money spinner. most are sold to the local organiser so no loss can be incurred by bsi. normally 100k plus and includes rooms and such for them but you know all this Phil ;)

Not quite sure what you mean when you say the Gelsenkirchen GP did not work.

Well it didn't last long - one GP actually staged and another 'rained off' before the plug was pulled.

Edited by Humphrey Appleby

Well it didn't last long - one GP actually staged and another 'rained off' before the plug was pulled.

first one was quite good i thought, second one bit of a let down :D wrong dirt, wrong rain and no fans :t:

100k to get a round sounds a lot less than I would have thought.

Thank you. I see there a few comments appearing on the page of the article, hmmm where's my Google Finnish translator. At the least got to let them know that a couple or so on here have already worked out their travel route/plans :)

first one was quite good i thought

Crowd wasn't bad for a first effort in a country that isn't amongst the major speedway nations, and one might have thought that could be built upon. I'm guessing that 20,000 still wasn't enough to cover the costs though, and BSI aren't going to be risking their money...