British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SouthernComet

Workington 2013

Will the parking next to the stadium be severley restricted with the new improvements.... :blink:

I had a look round the perimiter of the stadium the other day, and a new and faiirly large car park has been built between the third and fourth bends near to where the freeloaders stand. It was just hardcore when I looked but I imagine it is going to be tarmaced.

I was also pleased to see that at present, half of the area where the riders vans park has been tarmaced and it looks good ! Again I am assuming that the remainder of this parking area will also be tarmaced before the start of the season, but at present it would be pointless, as heavy machinery seems to be being used inside the stadium, which of course would damage any newly laid surface.

New UPVC windows and security roller shutters have been installed in the walls of the "Gus RIsman Bar" (vip lounge). Of course fencing has been installed all around the stadium, with security gates to access the riders vans parking area.

Painters were busy painting various doors when I visited, plus it seems that the turnstiles are getting a revamp, including some turnstiles that have never been in use for years !

I have been told that the old wooden seats in the grandstand have been removed and new ones are to be installed too.

And also I believe that the Derwent Lounge is having a total refurb too.

Just my assumption and I may be totally wrong, but it wouldnt surprise me if eventually the long term plan is to close vehicular access to the stadium across the small bridge, (as this was causing problems some time ago), and the access by road will only be permitted via the rear of Tescos ??

All in all, quite some refurbishment, and one that I am delighted to see !

• Like 2

Well done to your new promotion securing Scotty for your opening night.

Forward thinking and real promotion for the event. A refreshing change.

• Like 5

Totally agree, hats off to the new promotion for being proactive. Here's hoping you get the crowd you deserve.

Michael Max returns this season as track announcer this year . :approve:

so far hes starting the season and will review the situation mid season

Saw the stadium on Look North last night. Looking good. Can't wait to get over at Easter.

• Like 1

Wonder if the Comets will be using the new electronic scoreboard?

This, and the other ground improvements for the RLWC will be of great benefit for Town and the Comets.

• Like 1

Pleased that Richard has got a Elite league place but very disappointed that its a Friday night track he has signed for. Just the fact that he will be doing all the traveling and riding the night before we race most weeks.

Pleased that Richard has got a Elite league place but very disappointed that its a Friday night track he has signed for. Just the fact that he will be doing all the traveling and riding the night before we race most weeks.

Is it any different to riders travelling from Sweden to the UK and then to Poland etc etc? To put a positive spin on it, it's shows Richard is keen and ambitious and his EL outings on a smaller track can oly improve him as a rider. Upt o now he's ridden for Workington and Peterborough, two very big tracks.The other day I was thinking how disapointed I was that Richard has not come on as I expected after the first time I saw him but he has a bloody good PL average, so lets hope for Workington and even British Speedway sake he continues to improve.

Is it any different to riders travelling from Sweden to the UK and then to Poland etc etc? To put a positive spin on it, it's shows Richard is keen and ambitious and his EL outings on a smaller track can oly improve him as a rider. Upt o now he's ridden for Workington and Peterborough, two very big tracks.The other day I was thinking how disapointed I was that Richard has not come on as I expected after the first time I saw him but he has a bloody good PL average, so lets hope for Workington and even British Speedway sake he continues to improve.

Some very good points there, a change of track could well help him progress even further. Hope he does well this year for both clubs.

The difference is a long drive instead of a 2 to 3 hour flight, anyway good luck Richard.

The difference is a long drive instead of a 2 to 3 hour flight, anyway good luck Richard.

unlike the pilot on the plane, Richard will NOT be driving! Go for it Rich.

• Like 1