British Speedway Forum
ekimba

Edinburgh Champions 2013 ? 😄

The point is though the first bend action is going to be at the other end of the circuit as to where it is just now right infront of the crowd and it's great viewing for people up in the hospitality lounges.

• Like 1

Could be that with the houses right behind the pits have complained about the noise, while the original position, despite being moved for the same reasons, is much further away, and there is only the roadway out which allows the noise to travel to those houses.

From outside the "stadium" there is very little noise. The fans in the "covered enclosure" will be be the beneficiaries.

The point is though the first bend action is going to be at the other end of the circuit as to where it is just now right infront of the crowd and it's great viewing for people up in the hospitality lounges.

I was in the hospitality at Glasgow and this is on the 4th turn and I found the viewing pretty good.

It makes no difference to which side the start line is put. The average will still remain about the same - 75% of the action round the first corner then 25% thereafter. Having recently watched 32 meetings, 480 races, on video (none at Armadale) only 118 races had passes after the first corner.

If I remember correctly the current 3/4 bend was widened prior to season 2012 and improved the bend considerably, with both inside and outside lines being used. I'd like to think that work would help with any concern re the new 1/2 turn.

This is true. But they were using this bend 4 times in racing mode, with some great last bends and close finishes. With this bend being reputed to be the best for passing it will now only be used 3 times. The new final bend is said to be not so wide and little in the way of racing lines for passing. Not a great advert for new people being entertained in hospitality who will miss the excitement of the first corner tussles encouraging them to return.

I was in the hospitality at Glasgow and this is on the 4th turn and I found the viewing pretty good.

Even if you stand at the far end of the hospitality and you can't actually see the first bend because the roof of the stand is in the way.

Is there any way the back straight could be opened to fans as Armadale really suffers from poor viewing access and this may be a way round it. or is it too close for safety reasons. i would go more often if better viewing was available.

Even if you stand at the far end of the hospitality and you can't actually see the first bend because the roof of the stand is in the way.

Not sure if this is a question or statement nor which track it refers to, sorry.

If it's Glasgow I had no problems viewing.

If Edinburgh I've not been in hospitality there but I'm sure the club will be investigating all options re viewing from hospitality.

Bring on the changes and the better atmosphere.

i would really welcome the start gate moving. it's a great idea. as far as i am aware armadale is the only track where you cannot stand beside the start gate and i want to stand as close to the start as possible. i want to watch the riders prepare for the start and how they interact with the marshalls and each other. i also want to see close finishes. it should also help the interaction between fans and riders i think.

i am assuming the main reason why it is where on the far side is the ref's box. interesting to see how they solve that problem.

another reason to look forward to this season, bring it on.

I think I might be the only one that doesn't welcome the move of the starting gate, maybe I'm just being selfish because I stand on the first and second bends. lol :)

I think I might be the only one that doesn't welcome the move of the starting gate, maybe I'm just being selfish because I stand on the first and second bends. lol :)

Not at all. I'm with you on this.

Was there not a referees box up high at the proposed side even before the Hut was built at the present side. ;)

Is this happening? Only person who seems to know about it is Blobby, hence his one-man-campaign to reverse it!

I believe so, heard that the ref's box has already been moved, there is also a rumour that a temporary grandstand will be put on the new 1st bend to provide more viewing area.

Its funny that people are complaining about the start line being moved, as i seem to recall all this a few years ago when they were going to move it to the other side, personally i think its better being able to stand close to the start.

with there being no viewing as we know yet on the 1st bend, how many other northern tracks have viewing on the 1st and 2nd bends ???

only Redcar and berwick.

Edited by yoda
  • Like 1

I wouldn't want to be a promoter as no matter what you do you'll get people complaining of change or lack of change.

If this change goes ahead I would imagine a lot of work will be involved in making it work.

I praise the promotion for trying to change their lot.

• Like 3

i would really welcome the start gate moving. it's a great idea. as far as i am aware armadale is the only track where you cannot stand beside the start gate and i want to stand as close to the start as possible. i want to watch the riders prepare for the start and how they interact with the marshalls and each other. i also want to see close finishes. it should also help the interaction between fans and riders i think.

i am assuming the main reason why it is where on the far side is the ref's box. interesting to see how they solve that problem.

another reason to look forward to this season, bring it on.

I agree , it's fascinating at times to see the antics at the tapes before the start of a race and moving the tapes back to where they were before would be a good move . It would also , presumably , get rid of the Armadale optical illusion which awarded riders races when they looked about a wheel length behind . Of course there is the safety issue regarding the current 3rd/4th bend being turned into the 1st/2nd bend , but an experienced and capable track curator such as Doc Bridgett must be confident that particular problem can be overcome successfully or the change wouldn't have been considered . Any change to try and enhance the product for the spectators has to be applauded and it's in everybodies interest that this proves successful .

• Like 3