British Speedway Forum
challenger

Berwick Survival.

But surely they are individual club details?

You surely can't mean have all clubs under one homogeneous brand?

Promotion and customer relations are certainly, at the tactical level, individual club responsibilities.

Uncertainty over a meeting is being on or not due to the weather needs to be addressed, as people often plan to go to the speedway in place of another event, only to have the speedway rained-off.

They are then left with nothing to do. This is a big challenge to the sport, and only something that can be taken on collectively. Either by use of technology, a change in attitude, or a mixture of both.

The tactical rule has been really embarrassing as I have had to explain a few times this season.

No newcomer takes the sport seriously when exposed to that.

I'm sorry, but a lack of vision throughout the sport is going to kill it.

The sport as a whole should be rebranded IMO, yes. Clubs should be working alot closer in terms of brand recognition and marketing.

I would include things like doubts over weather etc in that. BSPA app, twitter etc with real time updates make it known that these are the locations you go for exact updates for weather, track condition, meetings being on, not dated 0906 numbers, calling an office or checking om here where you only get further doubt rather than clarity.

The tactical rule helps create a closer contest, keeps meetings and intersts alive, for every newcomer who doesn't take it seriously, the same number will love that they are watching q close contest, as I say, it is tough.

I wouldn't know how you overcome the impact the weather has, given technology relating to machinery cost etc has been looked at, and in recent years air fences have been looked at and brought in, I wouldn't be shocked if something was being looked at though, hopefully this comes to be known soon.

I would include things like doubts over weather etc in that. BSPA app, twitter etc with real time updates make it known that these are the locations you go for exact updates for weather, track condition, meetings being on, not dated 0906 numbers, calling an office or checking om here where you only get further doubt rather than clarity.

My point is that, no matter how promptly it is reported, that uncertainty is there. I'm sure many people will go for the entertainment option that they know for certain is going to be on, rather than something that is at the mercy of the weather.

We have to get as close as possible to guaranteeing meetings go ahead.

Otherwise, people can't say "x" night is speedway night, and mark it off in the diary.

I'm sure this inconsistency due to the weather is a big problem.

The tactical rule helps create a closer contest, keeps meetings and intersts alive, for every newcomer who doesn't take it seriously, the same number will love that they are watching q close contest, as I say, it is tough.

Sorry, but I can't tow the speedway party line on this one.

Everyone I know - apart from yourself, it would appear - thinks it is ridiculous.

There are better options than this to keep meetings close.

• Like 2

It will be interesting to hear the Berwick Promotion views on the outcome of the meeting, positive or negative.

My point is that, no matter how promptly it is reported, that uncertainty is there. I'm sure many people will go for the entertainment option that they know for certain is going to be on, rather than something that is at the mercy of the weather.

Otherwise, people can't say "x" night is speedway night, and mark it off in the diary.

Everyone I know - apart from yourself, it would appear - thinks it is ridiculous.

It isn't a party line. I do like it, to me it isn't any worse than something like the away goals rule in Europe, that can see sides unfairly punished.

The tac rule has created some great moments, gets emotions going creates talking points.

Everyone has the "was great" and "aw ya bas moment" from it.

Berwick, KOC, Villar v Grieves (double points) the doubt, gutted emotion of the inevitable double points was blown out the water by the joy of Carlos turning him over.

Peterborough v Reading, arguably the best meeting of the last 10 years.

Speedway World Cup is phenomenal when the jokers come into play, it lifts the emotion in races.

Fair poInt on the weather, I don't know how you overcome that.

• Like 1

It isn't a party line. I do like it, to me it isn't any worse than something like the away goals rule in Europe, that can see sides unfairly punished.

The tac rule has created some great moments, gets emotions going creates talking points.

Berwick, KOC, Villar v Grieves (double points) the doubt, gutted emotion of the inevitable double points was blown out the water by the joy of Carlos turning him over.

Speedway World Cup is phenomenal when the jokers come into play, it lifts the emotion in races.

Fair poInt on the weather, I don't know how you overcome that.

I think joker is particularly apposite.

I'll agree to disagree on that one.

Having a work around to the weather is a big one, keeping race night consistent.

Indoor stadia is the only possible - yet impossible - answer.

After such a hard year, I would have expected more from the BSPA, though.

The tactical option was ok when the rider on a tac ride came from 15 mtrs then they worked for the extra points, the present system gives them points for nothing and the joker in the world cup was exactly what it said on the tin a complete joke.. i honestly think it makes a complete mockery of the sport.

• Like 2

The tactical option was ok when the rider on a tac ride came from 15 mtrs then they worked for the extra points, the present system gives them points for nothing and the joker in the world cup was exactly what it said on the tin a complete joke.. i honestly think it makes a complete mockery of the sport.

The trouble is not many riders can come from 15mtrs nowadays due to technology and slick tracks.I am not in favour of the double points either but we only pay to watch the sport not run it why should our opinions matter. :wink:
  • Like 1

It will be interesting to hear the Berwick Promotion views on the outcome of the meeting, positive or negative.

Correct me if wrong but have Berwick actually come out and said they are definitely running? I see from BSPA Press Release that they declared to run among others at AGM but also read it would depend on sponsorship, funding etc being in place?

Correct me if wrong but have Berwick actually come out and said they are definitely running? I see from BSPA Press Release that they declared to run among others at AGM but also read it would depend on sponsorship, funding etc being in place?

Subject to finding a major sponser is what I read.We will need to wait for a club statement regarding that matter.

I might have to disagree with you on this one.

At the very least the tactical rule had to be dropped. It's the one thing that was noticed by the friends that I took along this year. It seriously undermines the sport.

If this season has been as bad as publicised - and I've no reason to doubt that - then there are big changes required to the sport in general.

Time will be the test though...

Agree with you on the double tactical ride,it makes a mockery of the sport,and favours top heavy teams.Id do away with tactical rides and tactical substitutes,staying only with reserve replacements.I also go back to bringing in the bonus point,no change in the current scoring system,but just with the bonus point added.

Speedway needs rebranded,and modernized,its an extreme sport so market as such.

Subject to finding a major sponser is what I read.We will need to wait for a club statement regarding that matter.

Now that the annual conference is out of the way,you`d think the BSPA would want to know fairly swiftly what Berwicks plans are.Im guessing the promotion have given some sort of positive noises at the AGM,and Im hoping we will hear something positive very soon.Im still confident we will run. ;)

• Like 1

Agree with you on the double tactical ride,it makes a mockery of the sport,and favours top heavy teams.Id do away with tactical rides and tactical substitutes,staying only with reserve replacements.I also go back to bringing in the bonus point,no change in the current scoring system,but just with the bonus point added.

Speedway needs rebranded,and modernized,its an extreme sport so market as such.

Now that the annual conference is out of the way,you`d think the BSPA would want to know fairly swiftly what Berwicks plans are.Im guessing the promotion have given some sort of positive noises at the AGM,and Im hoping we will hear something positive very soon.Im still confident we will run. ;)

If you took the tactical rule out the Premier League grand final you would have different league champions. :t:

That team wouldn't have got the point at Newcastle in the group stage to get to the final so the tactical rule played a major part in the play-offs.

Doesn't matter now as long as Berwick run next season.

If you took the tactical rule out the Premier League grand final you would have different league champions. :t:

That team wouldn't have got the point at Newcastle in the group stage to get to the final so the tactical rule played a major part in the play-offs.

Doesn't matter now as long as Berwick run next season.

So we mightve found a true Champion team,jobs a goodun. ;)

Tactical rides seems unfair to me,but Id guess Im in the minority,I also think they are here to stay.

• Like 1

Tactical rides seems unfair to me,but Id guess Im in the minority,I also think they are here to stay.

Not so sure you are in the minority regarding Tactical rides .

PS can anyone tell me why the Post I am Quoting always appears twice in the heading

Edited by Fromafar

Not so sure you are in the minority regarding Tactical rides .

PS can anyone tell me why the Post I am Quoting always appears twice in the heading

Just everthing else then. :D

I get the point of the tactical ride,and seen it work both for and against Berwick,but still dont like it and its a rule Id have thought had run its course by now.Yes that particular race can be exciting especially if the tactical riders is beaten,bit IMO it distorts the final score to much.

• Like 1

I was with you all the way...........until that last point. The use of the Joker in SWC last season did more damage to the argument supporting tactical changes than anything else I have ever seen or heard.

However...........

The tactical change rule has been in force in speedway for 50 years. Some meetings are dead after 5 heats without it, and it gives the opportunity for those matches to stay alive.

Every time someone comes in as tactical change, there is more emphasis on the race - a bit like having a last heat decider in the middle of the meeting.

Both of the above create more excitement, and there's no-one who would deny that. Isn't that what speedway is all about ?

The TR rule effects heats by 3 points. The TS rule can effect a heat by up to 8, and it costs a lot, lot more. TR all the way for me.

People point to other sports and suggest that no other has something similar. Perhaps we should introduce an offside rule into speedway instead. The simple fact is speedway is entirely different, so its rules not only can be but need to be different too.

The difference in the playing fields in speedway - way, way greater than football, rugby league, cricket, ice hockey or any other sport - means that having a rule that assists away teams is far more justifiable. I find those who knock it either can't make a cogent argument against it, don't like speedway and use it to bash the sport, or attempt to pander to the bashers (which is a waste of time).

It might suit top heavy teams, but when's the last time one won the league ? That's all about balance, and the most top heavy team in the PL in 2012 finished bottom.

Edited by Halifaxtiger
  • Like 1