British Speedway Forum
challenger

Berwick Survival.

Many not so many students in the academic sense, but plenty student age people going about the town! Perhaps if the student ideas not feasible, perhaps charging a £1-2 for anyone aged 16-18 might draw some younger blood in, but again it can be added that many wouldn't come back for a second visit if the meetings are presented the way they currently are.

If they are going to try and attract new younger viewers, the eccentric old man that talks waffle from the centre green needs to go. No point getting new younger people in and having someone like that to listen to.

• Like 1

Agree, student deals with booze deals could be a big draw.

Is there a large student population in Berwick area? I'm guessing there will be a fair few.

You think,if you mean by student someone who is taking further education,then I dont think there will be that many in the Berwick area as theres only an opportunity for any kind of further education at the Berwick Academy,and its not as if students are renting property in Berwick and then commuting to the universities in Edinburgh or Newcastle.

You can bet your bottom dollar that, on the first night of the season, promptly at "6:50" (18:57 GMT), to the sound of a 1960s flop made "popular" by a novelty act, as the riders amble out to the start line area past the least populated part of the stadium. Then everyone will be sent asleep for 10 or 15 minutes by the lullaby involving "bouncing", "Bandits", "bonnie" & "Berwick" which the brain of anyone not in a coma processes as "Barrie", "brainless", "billious" & "boredom" before the assembled masses are "treated" to a pick up full of riders tearing past (as best as a past-its-best, overloaded pickup can) which will come in handy for identification purposes, should any of them appear on Crimewatch CCTV footage in a drive by shooting.

The alternative of either bringing the riders of of the football tunnel (where some of the PEOPLE are!) or taking a spin in the truck clockwise (passing the PEOPLE) before a non-meandering introduction & a proper couple of laps bike parade; thus getting on with the damn thing AND creating a bit of atmosphere will remain something that happens... elsewhere.

• Like 3

I love the experience I had at Berwick last year. They have done a great job. The one thing that continues to annoy me and has for the last 20 odd years of going there is Dick Barrie. He talks drivel and irritates all and sundray! His column is the programme is ridiculous, not funny in any way. Ask my old man who had gone to matches since the 60s wanna come to Berwick answer is always no I hate dick Barrie.

He is out of date, out of touch with the younger generation and plainly annoying. He is so cringy. The Andersons have done brilliant, the only thing is dislike is being subjected to Barrie in my ear for 2 hours and on paper in my programme

What about introducing riders from each team number by number? ie both number 1's come out of the pits on their bikes, do a lap of the track and so on till number 7 rider? A bit more exciting than a line of riders standing looking unimpressed

In relation to Dick I think, and I mean this in no derogatory sense I add, that he is out of touch, behind the times, and all in all pretty cringey! But who's the alternative? I moan about it, but I couldn't do it and don't know many people personally who could

• Like 2

I love the experience I had at Berwick last year. They have done a great job. The one thing that continues to annoy me and has for the last 20 odd years of going there is Dick Barrie. He talks drivel and irritates all and sundray! His column is the programme is ridiculous, not funny in any way. Ask my old man who had gone to matches since the 60s wanna come to Berwick answer is always no I hate dick Barrie.

He is out of date, out of touch with the younger generation and plainly annoying. He is so cringy. The Andersons have done brilliant, the only thing is dislike is being subjected to Barrie in my ear for 2 hours and on paper in my programme

Im no fan of Barrie,but I have to say his column in the programme is at times decent reading.

So far we have had some decent ideas to attract people to the speedway,the trick of course and the thing thats harder to do is get those supporters back week after week so they become regular attenders.

In relation to Dick I think, and I mean this in no derogatory sense I add, that he is out of touch, behind the times, and all in all pretty cringey! But who's the alternative? I moan about it, but I couldn't do it and don't know many people personally who could

Getaway....there's loads at Berwick who talk sh!te :)

• Like 1

I think screm his jokes are out of date and hearing that would put people off. Having him on the mic to me would make a lot of young ones or first time attendees cringe. I honestly think the man annoys more than he entertains

Well he isn't the only problem here, the dj should be getting some stick too! Plus the drole announcement of line ups and race results! All and all the presentation hasn't really changed since berrington lough days

• Like 1

I think screm his jokes are out of date and hearing that would put people off. Having him on the mic to me would make a lot of young ones or first time attendees cringe. I honestly think the man annoys more than he entertains

Yes I agree,but Barrie should only be a bit part of a saturday nights entertainment,it has to be what happens on the track in the 15 heats of racing that will bring people back time after time.

Well he isn't the only problem here, the dj should be getting some stick too! Plus the drole announcement of line ups and race results! All and all the presentation hasn't really changed since berrington lough days

To be fair the Dennis McCleary,who does the race announcements,what else can he do,IMO Dennis does an admiral job both behind and infront of the microphone on a saturday night and of course during the week as a promoter.As Ive just posted the entertainment on a saturday night has to be in the 15Hts on the track,Ive never once went home and enthused how great the announcements were tonight.

• Like 5

Getaway....there's loads at Berwick who talk sh!te :)

Life must be getting a bit cold in your greenhouse this time of year. :t:

Compared to some, he's pretty good.

Take a trip to Coventry one time to see just how bad centre green announcers can be. On the same subject, I suspect that attendances at King's Lynn will increase this coming season.

Edited by Halifaxtiger

Compared to some, he's pretty good.

Take a trip to Coventry one time to see just how bad centre green announcers can be. On the same subject, I suspect that attendances at King's Lynn will increase this coming season.

As Ive posted previously,the centre green presenter,be it at Berwick,Coventry,Kings Lynn,or anywherelse for that matter cannott be the main reason why people go to speedway at those tracks.

As Ive posted previously,the centre green presenter,be it at Berwick,Coventry,Kings Lynn,or anywherelse for that matter cannott be the main reason why people go to speedway at those tracks.

That is definitely true. You don't go to the speedway for the announcer.

But I agree with MSC1874 in that their performance can stop some people from going.

In my (pretty wide) experience, he's not that bad.

He knows his speedway, for a start. The bloke at Sheffield thought Gary Irving was Tom Young, for heavens sake.

Edited by Halifaxtiger