British Speedway Forum
Gavan

2013 Best Ever Gp Line Up?

Agreed, and then on to a Beiekeller where i got to dance with Andy Smith when he turned up....but then the coach journey from hell back to the UK..

And did you ever read such comical english translation of the rider profiles!.....Surely the foreign GP progs have moved on a notch...I haven't my Prague one to hand at the mo..

• Like 1

world championship final line-up 1989 Munich:

Doncaster, Smith, Tatum, Wigg

Brhel, Matousek, Riss, Adorjan, Maier

Correy, Olsson, Shirra, Tyrvainen, Butler

Nielsen, Gundersen

I would wager this was one of the least inspring world finals ever..Jan O was out injured and Neilsen cruised it after beating only reeal rival Gundesren in their 1st heat..talk about a meeting not reaching any sort of climax..we knew the winner after heat 4!

Was that the best the continent could come up with! how times change...

That's fine but that was a world final not a GP, which is what we're talking about here. Whether or not people liked the old world finals is for another debate but they were unpredictable because everyone had to qualify. As for GPs, it's the same as any other meeting in that there have been many many dull ones on poor tracks, as well as exciting ones but next season's line up I find uninspiring because it's the same old same old as too many riders are the same as last year so it's not fresh.

I've got a good suggestion for the GPs. Put some b****y DIRT on the Tracks !! :shock::t:

...........and no - I am not anti Dane. :shock::blink:

• Like 3

i cant really agree next year is uninspiring i really think its a great line up.

old faces? well Hancock and Nicki and Gollob are there but they deserve to be and would you bank on any of them not challenging next year?

to me the deadwood of Hans, Bjarne, Harris, Ljung and even Bjerre have gone, and with the exception of Ljung these guys best days in gps are behind them.

i feel we have a great series to look forward to. If you had of asked anyone to pick the top 8 last year it was fairly straightforward with maybe Lindback the only surprise.

So people name your top 8 and i reckon there will be at least 12 different riders named (not woffy)

its all about opinions speedy but if we take out Hancock , Gollob , Nicki and say AJ then who should be in and would they really have a chance of being a contender?

I don't really have a top 8. If we simply go by averages across leagues then that will give you a top 8. I just think seeing the same old faces riding against each other year after year in a n individual event to be boring - I like speedway which has a level of unpredictability to it. The track wild cards do at least give a little bit of this - such as with Zmarlik last season.

I don't really have a top 8. If we simply go by averages across leagues then that will give you a top 8. I just think seeing the same old faces riding against each other year after year in a n individual event to be boring - I like speedway which has a level of unpredictability to it. The track wild cards do at least give a little bit of this - such as with Zmarlik last season.

Perhaps if EVERYONE had to go through Qualifying Rounds - things would be different. :rolleyes::angry:

And they should happen in the same year as a shorter, more exciting GP series ............... less is more as far as the GPs are concerned, do away with the same riders every two weeks for 24 or however many weeks it is ............ the riders need to concentrate on their league racing, where they have always earned their crust and where they can rely on getting a job once their GP dream goes out of the window, instead of having to plan for all these intense, money draining, individual meetings ..........

And they should happen in the same year as a shorter, more exciting GP series ............... less is more as far as the GPs are concerned, do away with the same riders every two weeks for 24 or however many weeks it is ............ the riders need to concentrate on their league racing, where they have always earned their crust and where they can rely on getting a job once their GP dream goes out of the window, instead of having to plan for all these intense, money draining, individual meetings ..........

Oh dear we have got it bad as usual have we got out the wrong side of the bed again sounds as though you need a chill pill or a pot of them

as per norm anti GPs I expect nothing less .

put everyone through qualifiers? dont agree with that sorry. yes it used to be like that i know but we had a lot of dead wood in most finals as the eastern block got their quota. also an injury or an engine failure could rob us of the best riders. nope sorry im all for the top 8 qualifying, and riders like Hampel deserve their place after injury. 4 wildcards and a qualifying system is fine and has insured that we have a great line up this year. who would want a qualifying system where say Holder picks up an injury and Emil has 2 engine failures and Ward has an off night and so on and so on.

Would love a system where we could get Protasiewicz and Bjarne and Walasek back in the grand prix!!

put everyone through qualifiers? dont agree with that sorry. yes it used to be like that i know but we had a lot of dead wood in most finals as the eastern block got their quota. also an injury or an engine failure could rob us of the best riders. nope sorry im all for the top 8 qualifying, and riders like Hampel deserve their place after injury. 4 wildcards and a qualifying system is fine and has insured that we have a great line up this year. who would want a qualifying system where say Holder picks up an injury and Emil has 2 engine failures and Ward has an off night and so on and so on.

Would love a system where we could get Protasiewicz and Bjarne and Walasek back in the grand prix!!

Why don't you just award the sixteen places to the Riders you like - and then nobody else will have a chance? :angry:

Ooops!! I forgot. That is the way it is going these days................................................ :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

no white knight what i want is as close as possible to the 15 best riders in the world in the series is that hard to understand?

the one off world final was more dramatic but an injury or engine failure could rob you. Look at Jan O Pedersen he missed 2 finals with injury!

can you say that we had the worlds best last year?

surely Ward, Vaculik, Iversen, Kasprzak, Zagar are better than Hans, Bjarne and Ljung?

its got nothing to do with favourites or would you prefer to see Walasek, Pepe, and the like?

i know what i would rather see. This way we get the top 8 from the last season, then if they dont qualify for whatever reason we get the next best (i.e Ward and Hampel) followed by 3 guys who deserve it by qualifying (Iversen and the like)

it should be a great season in my opinion. as i said earlier pick your top 8 not that easy is it!!

no white knight what i want is as close as possible to the 15 best riders in the world in the series is that hard to understand?

the one off world final was more dramatic but an injury or engine failure could rob you. Look at Jan O Pedersen he missed 2 finals with injury!

can you say that we had the worlds best last year?

surely Ward, Vaculik, Iversen, Kasprzak, Zagar are better than Hans, Bjarne and Ljung?

its got nothing to do with favourites or would you prefer to see Walasek, Pepe, and the like?

i know what i would rather see. This way we get the top 8 from the last season, then if they dont qualify for whatever reason we get the next best (i.e Ward and Hampel) followed by 3 guys who deserve it by qualifying (Iversen and the like)

it should be a great season in my opinion. as i said earlier pick your top 8 not that easy is it!!

I don't want to 'PICK' my top eight, their top eight or anybodies top eight - I want them ALL to b****y QUALIFY through Qualifying Meetings. That is all I want.

I don't want to 'PICK' my top eight, their top eight or anybodies top eight - I want them ALL to b****y QUALIFY through Qualifying Meetings. That is all I want.

Er, I think you're missing his point. I believe he's asking who you think will finish in the top eight next year.

Er, I think you're missing his point. I believe he's asking who you think will finish in the top eight next year.

oooops!! You are right. :oops:

Apologies Gavan - I read it the wrong way. :oops: