British Speedway Forum
oldtimer

Latest Update From Oak Tree Arena

Thank you muchly
for many years of loyal service to the Rebels.
Edited by Willowman

What a great servant Bish has been to the club,all the best mate in whatever the future holds for you.By far and away one of the most popular guys ever to wear the Rebels colours.Good luck to Gary who will now carry out team matters alone.

An entertaining rider and despite a couple of dodgy tactical decisions, a good team manager. Good servant to Somerset and will be missed. Fortunately Gary May well up to managing on his own.

Will miss the chuckle brothers in Garry and Steve. Always entertaining to be around.

Garry flying solo will cope apart from Tv appearances!!

Good luck Bish you'll be missed.

Yep must Echo that, best of luck to Steve Bishop in the future, but im sure he won't be lost to Somerset for good. Jeez Garry, going solo, presures on now!! :D

Nick Morris season is in doubt after claims his transfer from Glasgow to Swindon is yet to go through, and a loan deal is not on the table.Money for Morri's transfer was due to be paid at start of December but nearly 3 months later it is claimed no cash has exchanged hands. Swindon had allowed Morris to double down to somerset, so clearly if he is not going to be in the Swindon side then there could be a problem.

Nick Morris season is in doubt after claims his transfer from Glasgow to Swindon is yet to go through, and a loan deal is not on the table.Money for Morri's transfer was due to be paid at start of December but nearly 3 months later it is claimed no cash has exchanged hands. Swindon had allowed Morris to double down to somerset, so clearly if he is not going to be in the Swindon side then there could be a problem.

You don't 'double down', you can only 'double up' - All Somerset meetings take priority over any date clashes in the EL, hence why Swindon never signed Doyle.

The only issue for Somerset really is who a loan free is being paid to.

Not really, currently he is a Glasgow asset as no money has changed hands. Now, if another club wants to buy him and pay the fee, that club may decide to loan him elsewhere or even might want him to ride for them, so if P'boro were to buy him, that might mean a no to a loan to Somerset, or any other club. Of course Somerset could always buy him!

Edited by oldswindonsupporter
  • Like 1

How sad is speedway again when something like this arises one month before the start of the season. I refuse to believe that nobody new about this.

It is amazing what our #1 will do to try an encourage new fans to the Oak Tree Arena!

A working colleague of mine took his family off to Oz over Christmas for a month and booked them on a twilight walk over the Sidney Harbour Bridge. He got chatting to a couple who were teathered next to them and found out that the guy was a Speedway Rider. Him knowing about the Rebels (as I do my own bit of promoting at work myself) he asked "Have you heard of the Somerset Rebels" of which the reply was "Yes. I have signed for them again this year". As you can see, that rider was none other than our Jason Doyle.

Now what are the chances of JD doing exactly the same walk over the bridge at the same time and adjacent to someone from Somerset who knows of the existance of the Rebels and who gets chatting about them? Pretty damn slim I would say. But here is the evidence:

jdonbridge006.jpg

Edited by Willowman

That's as may be, but if Swindon do not own him, it can't be considered a done deal as they no right to loan him out. He is still a Glasgow asset until should time money changes hands or any other agreement is made.

• Like 1

As has been proved over and over, a rider is only going where he wants . Doesn't matter who holds his cards.

As for Garry May, he's a great guy and more than capable.

• Like 1

How sad is speedway again when something like this arises one month before the start of the season. I refuse to believe that nobody new about this.

I am pretty sure that it was known about, but probably it was hoped that agreements would be honoured as usual. Apparently not.

It is amazing what our #1 will do to try an encourage new fans to the Oak Tree Arena!

A working colleague of mine took his family off to Oz over Christmas for a month and booked them on a twilight walk over the Sidney Harbour Bridge. He got chatting to a couple who were teathered next to them and found out that the guy was a Speedway Rider. Him knowing about the Rebels (as I do my own bit of promoting at work myself) he asked "Have you heard of the Somerset Rebels" of which the reply was "Yes. I have signed for them again this year". As you can see, that rider was none other than our Jason Doyle.

Now what are the chances of JD doing exactly the same walk over the bridge at the same time and adjacent to someone from Somerset who knows of the existance of the Rebels and who gets chatting about them? Pretty damn slim I would say. But here is the evidence:

jdonbridge006.jpg

Great story and pic to prove it.

Swindon have loaned a rider to Somerset who is not theirs to loan, I don't know where Morris would be living next season but I assume riding for Swindon and Somerset fitted in with his travelling. Might be a problem if a northern track buys him, and could leave us in the lurch at start of the season.

On the other hand there is a rider fans would love to see back, Claus Vissing in this weeks Star, says he wants a team place in Britian, he said money is not a big issue and wants to have some fun doing what he loves. He added he had hoped to be back at Somerset and was offered a contract and expected to be back there.

I wonder what went wrong?