British Speedway Forum
DutchGrasstrack

European Championships 2013 - Rzeszow Final 4 Live On Eurosport

I've watched both rounds of the Euros so far on TV, and despite the great atmosphere created in the stadia - especially the last one - and some reasonable racing, but no better than any average meeting, I find myself getting quite bored by them and very tempted to switch off before the end! Perhaps its because they don't actually mean much? Winning doesn't qualify you for anything other than the title of Euro Champion or whatever! I feel a bit like that with some of the GPs but at least they all progress to an ultimate goal and there's a recognised World Champion title at the end of it! Or maybe its because we know the riders are just riding for the big money on offer.

Agreed, I stopped watching the first one about half way through as it was so boring, the second was a bit better but not a meeting to remember. I will watch on Sat to see if the meeting is any better than the last two as there is nothing else to watch on Sat night that i want to see.

So far I have found some of the GPs far better for the racing. .

Indeed, I thought the first round was a bit cautious from the riders. Togliatti was good IMO. But having reserved the 3 hours to watch it and have "my time", no way I'd turn it off!

(Ooops sorry DutchGrasstrack looks like i got the same problem as drofgum, i'm trying to use font just one size up and it's going up larger plus adding increased space between the line......oh well life goes on as i don't think it will kill anyone lol)

Better apologise to the font watcher, Paul !

So we have 7 riders who can be crowned Euro champ(today and Rzeszow to go )

Pedersen 24

Woffinden 23

Gollob 22

Vaculik 19

G Laguta 19

Andersen 17

Janowski 17

Edited by racers and royals

Not much worse than the SGP series. And they have the most spectacular rider Griory Laguta in the SEC, that's a bonus. I enjoy watching the SEC just as much as the SGP.

I've watched both rounds of the Euros so far on TV, and despite the great atmosphere created in the stadia - especially the last one - and some reasonable racing, but no better than any average meeting, I find myself getting quite bored by them and very tempted to switch off before the end! Perhaps its because they don't actually mean much? Winning doesn't qualify you for anything other than the title of Euro Champion or whatever! I feel a bit like that with some of the GPs but at least they all progress to an ultimate goal and there's a recognised World Champion title at the end of it! Or maybe its because we know the riders are just riding for the big money on offer.

You seem to have set an impossibly high standard for 'meaning' in speedway. The vast majority of speedway in the UK does not mean much by your criteria and even the POs only involves winning a very poor league made up of guests and riders from lower leagues. Riders in both EL and PL racing are mainly riding for the money or like Greg Hancock only here because they lost a spot in a more lucrative league.

What does winning the EL or PL bring a team that winning a Euro championship doesn't?

A league with a handful of teams in it who don't even race each other the same amount full of riders who don't even consider the leagues as important as the more lucrative European leagues. Atmosphere that is virtually non existent in front of a sparse crowd in a dilapidated stadium hardly is anything to get excited about but sometimes people find it can be very exciting.

Does winning a mickey mouse league like the EL mean more/less to a rider than winning the Euro championship? Does an individual meeting in Scunthorpe have more meaning than a SGP or Euro meeting?

Probably to the winner at that particular night.

Define 'Meaning' because it will mean different things to different people.

Speedway has 'meaning' to a very tiny part of the populations where it exists.

But to me it carries more meaning than some world cup football tourney played by millionaires.

I could not tell you who won the last football world cup and care not one jot who wins the next one when ever it is.

EL racing on TV is mostly incredibly boring and mostly meaningless but it's live speedway and worth watching because it might end up not so boring.

I don't actually know where these fantastic speedway meetings people here seem to wish for occur as I have never seen a meeting in 40 years where this happens and all the meetings I saw had racing that varies from 'out of the top drawer' to a lot less than mediocre.

Considering it's in the comfort of your own home and not on a wet cold windy evening somewhere it's always worth watching just in case, as in both Euro meets, there is a good race or two.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well and that we have a SAFE meeting,.

Not a great crowd. Gollob looks interested :lol: but he didn't have a lot to beat in heat i. Superb Sopcast stream on 146139.

Hi all,

Hope everyone is well and that we have a SAFE meeting,.

Not a great crowd. Gollob looks interested :lol: but he didn't have a lot to beat in heat i. Superb Sopcast stream on 146139.

If there`s no passing it`s going to be a well safe meeting.

If there`s no passing it`s going to be a well safe meeting.

Ha Ha. So far, it looks like a gater's paradise. Sad about the crowd. The best graphics. Denmark please note. :lol:

Heat 5 clash of the winners and seconds might give us a good race. I did see one heat from afar (just got home still settling down) that looked a good race.

UPDATE: or maybe they'll be strung out lol. Ok next race only one point scored between the four riders, surely we got a cracker now lol

Hope Woffinden not riding too safely tonight. He didn't really attempt his outside overtake until a wide gap had been created.

I thought it was supposed to be a near sell-out from articles i read during the week. Also, there was some mention of hundreds of kids allowed in free.

Edited by manchesterpaul

WOW what a beautifully presented speedway stadium it looks top class very impressed shame about the crowd.

Been twice-great place -it`s in the middle of nowhere like Mildenhall. Edited by racers and royals

WOW what a beautifully presented speedway stadium it looks top class very impressed shame about the crowd.

That's what is sad. The pits look better than the spectator facilities at most Elite League tracks. :lol:

Crowd making a fair bit of noise seem enthusiastic, even before Jurica's win. Ooops commentator doesn't agree but they sounded loud to me during the race.

That's what is sad. The pits look better than the spectator facilities at most Elite League tracks. :lol:

It is a purpose built speedway stadium which had a lot of thought and design go into it. I think it usually provides good racing?

Maybe it's his bike that is the problem for Woffinden? He's been pretty disappointing so far.

Edited by manchesterpaul