British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
racers and royals

Stockholm Gp September 21st

I NEED to go for a lie down! Good to see you, too

:D Think we may come to a fair few again next year ;)

Edited by The Know

The crash was not due to the track & wasn't due to being small indoor track. Was similar falls in Torun a couple of years ago. Greg had one in Denmark in 2011 & there was one in Hammerby meeting Friday. Hope everyone recovers quickly

(null)

Crikey I am obviously easy to please I thought it was a fantastic GP not just the racing it had everything. I don't understand the posts saying that the indoor tracks aren't as good as permanent tracks ,I agree some of the polish tracks are superb but compare saturday to Poole or swindon ok not GP venues but in my opinion poor racing/passing tracks. Indoor is here to stay & surely that's a good thing , ok I am old & going bonkers but for me the GPs are superb.

Think I need therapy after that. Without doubt the most dramatic & tension filled meeting with lashings of brilliant racing i have ever seen. Thoughts with gollob really hope he is ok but it looked awful & as for tai the lad is something else he makes our footballers look like total wimps riding on with an injury like that. They should box up tonites meet & send it to BBc or ITV & say this is GP speedway this is what your missing. 10/10 to all Bloody Brilliant. Off for a lie down.

Bloody good post! Tai very nearly a World Champion, and the media don't even know it! Good idea about showing the BBC and ITV though!

• Like 1

It was not the best GP but it was still way better then GPs like Prague, Krsko and Daugavpils.

The most recent years I think the quality of the temporary tracks have improved (except for Cardiff this year) and I think that they provide pretty good racing.

This was also the first GP at this stadium which is less then one year old so I would guess that they for each year would be better creating and grading the track.

I also think that the first year is (obviously) very crucial. Its a new stadium and nobody really knows what to expect and therefore stayed at home.

It isn't always only the racing itself that is the only factor, for a stadium like this which is some distance outside the most central parts of the city,

transportation is also important to some extent and so far its more then a km to nearest commuter train station (Solna station).

However the station is currently undergoing construction and from next summer a new station house will have been built with a new pedestrian bridge over the tracks.

I'm not sure much this really improves the situation since it still seems to be around 1000m from the station to the arena.

I know I am a bit late on this topic but here's my thoughts on last weeks GP.Thought the stadium was excellent although when I got to my seats they didn't exist ! I'm somebody who likes to take in the whole atmosphere of a GP day so arrived at the stadium early 2.30 to sample the fan park (as Cardiff) In reality there was very little to see or buy and not even a beer tent,with very little around the stadium the scene was people hanging around waiting for the stadium to open.One of the best thing about Gp days are sitting around a table with speedway fans having a chat and a beer(thats why I love Poland and Cardiff),Sadly this was not the case in Stockholm.Although the crowd may have looked good on TV (clever camera work) its probable that if the lower tear had been fully opened then the total attendance could have been fitted into this leaving the top 2 tears empty.My worry is how they are going to grow or even maintain this event.It had the same feel as Gelsenkerchen that the 1st year could be as good as it gets,maybe its time to accept that 24,000 is the maximum you can achive for a GP in Sweden.Similar to Poland the speedway heartlands in Sweden are not in the 2 big cities,with Mallila back on the calender its questionable whether fans will continue to travel to Stockholm.Add on a large travelling British contingent 700+ which wont be as sizeable in years to come.Surprisingly didn't see many Danes and understandably not that many Poles due the cost of living in Sweden.Also went to the meeting at Hammerby on the Friday,racing was pretty good on a big fast track,meeting took an age to complete,7.00 start 10.15 finish,beer was cheap thou although it did get pretty cold late on.The people were very friendly and made the race announcements in English as well as Swedish,they also acknowledged the Brits in attendance who outnumbered the Swedes 3-1.On the whole a good weekend,Stockholm is a lovely city (not cheap) Edited by New Science

.Although the crowd may have looked good on TV (clever camera work) its probable that if the lower tear had been fully opened then the total attendance could have been fitted into this leaving the top 2 tears empty.

The crowd only looked good on tv cos the top two tears of seats were darkened, I don't blame them for doing that mind!

The crowd only looked good on tv cos the top two tears of seats were darkened, I don't blame them for doing that mind!

Sort of smoke and mirrors effect

Thought crowd was pretty good for speedway. Bit like Cardiff with the top part empty. Never gona fill it but if stays at this level think bsi will be happy.

Enjoyed the trip to sweden and thought it was a good GP, its been a while since I went abroad and enjoyed the whole weekend, spent a couple more nights in stockholm, its quite expensive but a great city.

Worried about gollob in his fall with Wuffy, never like it when there is no movement while they lie on the deck relieved to see him moving as they put him in the ambulance.

nice stadium, good view, shame Wuffy couldent quite do it, but feel confident of having another british world champ after Torun.

would go again, but might try finland next year.

THEY were delighted, as were the stadium authorities, with 24,800 for a first time effort especially with no Holder and Sayfutdinov and a trio of Swedes who aren't exactly pulling up any trees this year.

Lots of evidence that many made the trip because of the stadium and that it was in their capital city which they may not visit too often. Also superb corporate facilities which attracted a number of significant companies (including Meridian Lifts of course!) who might be tempted to dip their feet in the water.

Feet Phil ? Think up to me waist already lol. Yes met some nice people and the food was excellent in the corporate bit. Looking forward to take two next year :-)