British Speedway Forum
The White Knight

No Gps On Sky Television Next Year?

However it is dressed up Phil Sky are in business to make a profit. If the revenue from speedway justified it it would be on irrespective of the spend on football. Sky clearly believe that those three hours on a Saturday night can generate more revenue showing sports other than speedway

THE critical factor is that Sky are currently not renewing some contracts that have or are expiring in what they openly admit is a cost-cutting exercise.

NOT having the GPs on Sky does not necessarily equate to not having them available to British TV viewers and hopefully that will be the case.

here's hoping ESPN step in then, you get that Channel included in the Virgin XL subscription and don't need the other sports channels.

• Like 1

Can i just say.... I'm sick to the b****cks of ball sports (most esp Football) on Sky. Come on Sky give the less supported sports a break and continue coverage. Its not like we're asking for more, just to remain at what always existed. I'm going to "try" and remain positive until theres an announcement.

They are! The other week when the only football on all weekend was Spanish between 7 and 11 due to the FA Cup, the following sports were on:- Second tier Rugby Union, indoor Hockey, speed Snooker and Netball. Bottom line is that Speedway has to compete with these sports for it's television coverage. As it stands Sky have now got more favourable financial deals in place for the likes of Netball, Basketball and Ice Hockey than what they pay to televise Speedway. A lot of minority sports are willing to offer the coverage for free bar the production costs.

I am also of the opinion that all Sky Sports cares about is it's audience in Football and Cricket. As along as the audience are achieved due to these sports, they get their money back.

here's hoping ESPN step in then, you get that Channel included in the Virgin XL subscription and don't need the other sports channels.

ESPN in it's current guise will not be around much longer. Likely to be more exclusive with high concentration on Football from South America, Italy and Germany.

• Like 2

I've just had a "courtesy call" from Sky. Actually it was no such thing they were trying to get me to have their broadband and line rental which to me is a sales call not a courtesy. I very politely but firmly told him that until Sky confirmed that they would show Speedway GPs as part of their sports package I was not prepared to even think about purchasing anything from Sky.

Won't do any good but it made me feel better.

• Like 5

SKY say (privately) that they put the GPs on Sky Sports 4 because it secured a Saturday night audience big enough to attract advertisers who wouldn't otherwise have bothered. Their ad revenue on 1 or 2 was guaranteed whether they showed speedway or not but they needed something on 4 to boost the viewing figures and speedway fitted the bill.

There is no doubt that the viewing figures for the GPs suffered as a result but Sky obviously believed they got better value for their money by shoving it on 4.

The British GP audience also dipped when the starting time was brought forward to first 5pm and then 6pm. Dedicated speedway fans might tune in at that time on a summer's evening but it was deemed too early for the casual viewers.

THERE are plenty of people at Sky who want their speedway coverage to continue but, as has been stated previously, it is just unfortunate that the GP contract came up for renewal at a time when the been counters in Isleworth were holding sway.

Was the writing on the wall for speedway last year when it was pushed out to sky sports 4 and then even shunted further to the red button at short notice if say the county cricket ran over.Over the last 18 months there has 16 rights renewals involving sky sports to increase coverage of football,cricket,rugby,golf,formula 1 and minority sports such as British Basketball (not exactly what you would call cutbacks).With falling viewers reported for League and G.P coverage maybe its just a case of SKY feeling its not beneficial to them any more .Also worrying that SKY has now chosen attractive Super League rugby fixtures to directly oppose Monday night speedway coverage.Hopefully SKY will show the GP because if the coverage does go,the league could follow,resulting even more loss of revenue that promoters that can ill afford !Some posters may say its the change that the sport needs but the admission costs would not diminish just the quality of the participants.

Fast forward 12 months, Sky say to the EL that having paid (say) 40% less for the GPs, take a pittance or leave it. The fat orange cockney will have to settle for a Lexus and the EL will be potless. Yay.

Fine by me Id be quite happy for Sky to put their money the GPs anyway.

If I was actually concerned about the GPs , I'd say Eurosport would be better for them. Of course they're not shown on British Eurosport at present. But that would hardly be a huge leap.

I guess that would involve the world feed commentary, currently by BBC's Darren Fletcher.

Another good reason for the switch to be made.

I can assure that there is quite major cutbacks happening for financial year 2013-2014 which affects not only rights but other things as well like live inserts into Sky sports news. They wanted to use 29 live sat uplink trucks to cover transfer window but were told by the Bean counters this had to be cut back to 18 and meant some trucks driving between grounds.

At the end of the day Sky have 4 sports channels to fill and do need lower ranking sport to help fill the schedules, in fact a deal has been done in the last week or so for Greyhounds to return to Sky after previously been cut this was done by the tracks and SIS producing the coverage themselves but will not be full glitzy coverage as before and may not even be in HD

The Ice Hockey and Netball coverage is brought as a package from Televideo services who produce the programme themselves using own lower class broadcast kit hence why not in HD and they resell this onto Australian for netball and US/ Canada for ice hockey.

Speedway could return if the price was right but I understand very well BSI have their price they want for it but at present that is higher than what the negotiators at Sky want to pay the problem is this team don't really know the sport they have just facts and figures no matter how much the production team and certain people give their imput the decision lays with money guys.

I have put in a suggestion which I know is being looked into which would cut Sky's production costs and could make it more attractive package but would need some cooperation from some individuals and BSI, it's not for me to say more on here but as a fan I want it to return to our screens

• Like 2

If I was actually concerned about the GPs , I'd say Eurosport would be better for them. Of course they're not shown on British Eurosport at present. But that would hardly be a huge leap.

I guess that would involve the world feed commentary, currently by BBC's Darren Fletcher.

Another good reason for the switch to be made.

DARREN Fletcher only worked on the SWC and Cardiff because Pearson and Tatum were required exclusively for Sky. The world feed commentary at all other events is provided by BSI and usually in the form of Pearson and Tatum/Staechmann.

My heart just leapt joyfully when idly browsing to see the betting prices for this seasons GP on William Hill and saw this

2013 Speedway GP Series World Championship

Starts 31 March - live on Sky Sports

Chris Holder will attempt to do what no man has done since 2008, successfully defend the Speedway GP Series. Nicki Pedersen was the last rider to win back-to-back titles, will he provide the biggest challenge?

Oucheeee! though, check the date :cry: obviously a remnant from last season.

Oh well at least Billy Hill provides us with LIVE 24 hour speedway that you can also bet on. The various camera angles are very good, the commentator is ok albeit a bit exciteable. It's also heartwarming to see such good crowds in attendance. Above all the quality of racing is excellent.

Check it out at

http://sports.williamhill.com/bet/en-gb/virtualworld/VWSPEEDWAY

:)

I can assure that there is quite major cutbacks happening for financial year 2013-2014 which affects not only rights but other things as well like live inserts into Sky sports news. They wanted to use 29 live sat uplink trucks to cover transfer window but were told by the Bean counters this had to be cut back to 18 and meant some trucks driving between grounds.

At the end of the day Sky have 4 sports channels to fill and do need lower ranking sport to help fill the schedules, in fact a deal has been done in the last week or so for Greyhounds to return to Sky after previously been cut this was done by the tracks and SIS producing the coverage themselves but will not be full glitzy coverage as before and may not even be in HD

The Ice Hockey and Netball coverage is brought as a package from Televideo services who produce the programme themselves using own lower class broadcast kit hence why not in HD and they resell this onto Australian for netball and US/ Canada for ice hockey.

Speedway could return if the price was right but I understand very well BSI have their price they want for it but at present that is higher than what the negotiators at Sky want to pay the problem is this team don't really know the sport they have just facts and figures no matter how much the production team and certain people give their imput the decision lays with money guys.

I have put in a suggestion which I know is being looked into which would cut Sky's production costs and could make it more attractive package but would need some cooperation from some individuals and BSI, it's not for me to say more on here but as a fan I want it to return to our screens

All of this I can totally see and agree with.

So, having overspent ridiculously on football, the poor saps - sorry, I mean subscribers - get the schedules filled with second rate programming that isn't even in HD?

When can I expect a reduction in my HD subscription then?

I can only hope that BT Vision and today's Virgin Media deal rip Sky in general & Sky Sports in particular to pieces.

You might have 4 channels - but you've only (barely) got 3channels worth of programming

TWENTY NINE satellite trucks to bring what? Blokes standing on the roadside outside training grounds?

Here's an idea - buy them all a decent mobile & tell them to ring in.

That'll pay for a season of speedway coverage.

DARREN Fletcher only worked on the SWC and Cardiff because Pearson and Tatum were required exclusively for Sky. The world feed commentary at all other events is provided by BSI and usually in the form of Pearson and Tatum/Staechmann.

So give him the gig & put it on Eurosport. With Sky out of the equation, there's no need to inflict Shouty & his orgasmic mate on the world. Staemann did a fine job on 5Live last year - he was allowed time to make a point without being shouted down.

Edited by Backless

So, having overspent ridiculously on football, the poor saps - sorry, I mean subscribers - get the schedules filled with second rate programming that isn't even in HD?

When can I expect a reduction in my HD subscription then?

I can only hope that BT Vision and today's Virgin Media deal rip Sky in general & Sky Sports in particular to pieces.

You might have 4 channels - but you've only (barely) got 3channels worth of programming

TWENTY NINE satellite trucks to bring what? Blokes standing on the roadside outside training grounds?

Here's an idea - buy them all a decent mobile & tell them to ring in.

That'll pay for a season of speedway coverage.

So give him the gig & put it on Eurosport. With Sky out of the equation, there's no need to inflict Shouty & his orgasmic mate on the world. Staemann did a fine job on 5Live last year - he was allowed time to make a point without being shouted down.

FORTUNATELY your opinion about messrs Pearson and Tatum isn't shared by those who make that decision.

• Like 1

FORTUNATELY your opinion about messrs Pearson and Tatum isn't shared by those who make that decision.

The threads about Pearson & Tatum have been done to death IMO,they are clearly the commentaters that Sky want and if theres GP speedway on Sky this season they will be the commentary team,which is just fine by me.

Backless - Transfer day on Sky sports news got very good figures especially in the peak evening. Slot. I won't give you the costs of that day as will depress you more except that it was substantial but would pay for one elite league match.

I have had a chance to look at some of the ad revenues for when GP broadcast and is good considering what it is up against on other channels. What does surprise me is the various tourist boards and development agencies that sponsor GP rounds never follow this up with rv adverts to back up their marketing campaign.